1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iphone and iPod seems to be an either/or in the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tim S., Nov 9, 2014.

1. Tim S.

Tim S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all,

My apologies, there doesn't seem to be a search field and the "similar threads" did not fully answer my question.
    I have a 2015, Prius Three with base navigation/stereo. I want to connect my iPhone to use the entune apps, I also want to use a 2nd 32gb iPod to listen to music as it's dedicated just for that.

It appears that in both devices that I must use the one USB port to get each to work properly. When I use the usb to lighter plug adapter with the iPhone or the iPod, it just does not work the music or entune app just hangs and does not respond.

So it appears I only have one option, either I can use the Entune/Iphone, or I can use the iPod but not both at the same time.

Any solutions?

2. GuyLR

GuyLR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

When you say USB to lighter plug adapter is that just a USB power adapter? If so it has no connection to the audio unit. Multiple port USB hubs don't usually work with head units but you might give it a try.

3. Wilf Brim

Wilf Brim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK, here is what (I think) is going on:

You and I do the same thing: I keep two iDevices for different things: an iPod for music and an iPhone for calls, data and so forth. You want to listen to music on the iPod and use the iPhone for a data connection.

Bad news: you can't. Due to Apple's rather, uh, unique view of bluetooth security you cannot use bluetooth for a data connection on iDevices. In order for your iPhone to connect with the car it has to be physically connected via USB. This is also, btw, why you can't use a BT OBD2 reader with an iPhone. Oh, and you only have one USB connection to the car, and it can only handle one device at a time.

Here are your options:
    1) Do without the data connection.
    2) Use a bluetooth connection for music for your iPod (if it has one) and plug your phone in.
    3) Get an Android phone, use that for data connection via USB and play music on the iPod

I'm hoping, btw, that your phone and iPod is playing better with your vehicle than mine is. Since the iOS8 update I can't get podcasts to play on my headunit via USB connection.

4. Tim S.

Tim S. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Wilf Brim!
    I figured that, I also get sluggish response with my iPod, and oddly people will call me (with my iPhone just connected via blue tooth) and I'll hit the answer button on the steering wheel only to end up getting the call transferred to my phone rather than the speaker system, though that may have been me thinking "answer button on the top and hang up button on the bottom" instead of it being the other way around, which was a bit odd. For now I just have my iPod connected and use the iPhone for calls, unless I'm in the house using entune app with Bing finding an address to save and then later loading in the car which is a nice feature.