1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod "skips" in USB mode

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rogerv, Mar 16, 2012.

1. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The problem was with my iPod Nano (first generation) when plugged into the USB port, but not when using the AUX plug. I now use an iPod Touch plugged into the USB port, and rarely have any skips or problems.
    I use an Android phone with music capability, but rarely use that feature in the car. I've also given up entirely on Entune and XM Satellite Radio. I haven't even updated Entune with the stick I received in the mail. Entune keeps telling me the iPod won't work without their app, but I just ignore the warning and continue to play MY music. When I was using Entune, it wouldn't let my phone disconnect when leaving the car. It seemed to be designed to want to control everything. And frankly, I don't need to book a restaurant table from my car, or get emails, etc. Let me listen to music I want to hear, and otherwise, leave me in peace.:p

jabecker likes this.
  2. megaoptimus

megaoptimus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Just got my PC3 tonight; same skipping for me on an ipod 80gb with standard cable. Worked fine in my veloster and I've never had issue with this cable in any other application. do not know what to do or say about it.

3. Tracy

Tracy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've had similar iPod skipping issues since getting my C3. Initially, it didn't happen very often - sometimes I might go an hour or more before it skipped so I reported it to my dealer and said I'd wait until my 5k servicing (I sort of wanted to let anything else shake out in the car and have them deal with things all together).

The problem has been getting worse and I tried multiple iPods and multiple cables just so I could let the dealer know that I had tried those avenues. Yesterday was the servicing and of course, if they can't replicate the problem they weren't going to do anything about it. I left the iPod in the car and told them to rock out for however long it took (interestingly enough, when I got the car back, they had a history podcast playing - hahahaha).

Anyway, problem replicated! Yeah! They then tested all the connections with the USB port itself and determined the problem was not there - they believe it is in the radio head and are replacing the entire unit (it'll take 2 weeks for that to come in). I'll report back in once the new unit is installed and see how it's working.

Flgardenguy and rogerv like this.
  4. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    nice! let us know what happens. I've had this happen VERY rarely with bluetooth so it doesn't bother me much, but if there's a known solution, i'd love to get it :)

5. megaoptimus

megaoptimus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Tracy, did this new head unit fix your issue? Mine skips so much that I don't really want to use an ipod. I don't see any pattern to it, seems to happen randomly and for no reason. About 3-4 times within 20 mins.

6. ntucker

ntucker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Using a first generation iPod touch, I get skips, too. Tried with a couple different cords. Skips often enough that it's too annoying as a music source. Same device works fine in my iPod-capable aftermarket stereo in my other vehicle. Until I hear a fix for this has been released (what are the odds of that?), my opinion is that the iPod support in this car is broken and should not be considered a feature. I know it's working fine for some people, but this problem is common enough that selling cars with this feature listed as a bullet point is borderline dishonest. Getting audio out of an iPod is not that difficult, Toyota.

Edit: For what it's worth, I have switched to a 64GB USB drive with my entire library on it (all the same stuff that's on the iPod plus more) and I don't get any skips. It's just the iPod interface that sucks.

7. Flgardenguy

Flgardenguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Well, this is a disheartening thread. I was really hoping there would be a fix for the iPod skipping issue. I guess I'll just hook it up to Aux for now and wait to see how things worked out for Tracy. Or maybe I'll see if my PriusC supports my Zune.

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd be inclined to think the phone's operating system is causing the lag. I've never seen any problems using a USB stick.

I tried playing audio through the tethered phone too, but it's a pain like you describe, and whenever you take the phone out of the car. I copied all the files to a compact USB-stick and everything works perfectly.

9. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I get this problem ALL the time with my iPod Video 32gb from they had just come out in the US, so I assumed it was a slowly dying hard drive (I never use it with headphones anymore to compare).

10. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Even worse than skipping; locking up the audio system. My friend connected his iPod to the USB port of my 2012 PiP, and it started playing without issue. He then downloaded the Entune app, and the dang thing froze the audio system after a couple minutes of playing. His comment "well, you better go reboot your car now". It hung on a screen saying something like connecting, or syncing...

11. joseph88190

joseph88190 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My entune used to skip beat like yours until I swap it out with NEX8000
    And then NEX8100 comes out....

12. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I use an 80Gb iPod Classic in my car hooked up through AUX. I have tried the USB port a couple of times, but the car flips the iPod into continuous play mode (instead of one cut at a time) and it takes me a while to figure out how to set it back. That, and when it connects it is always in random mode (RAN highlighted on the MFD). If your songs or audio content "skip" it might be a problem with the content and not the player or the car. See if it skips while listening with headphones. I have had content that skipped before and had to remove and replace it in iTunes to fix it.

13. Flgardenguy

Flgardenguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So I started doing something that really seems to be stopping the skipping issue.
    Prior to turning the car off I hit PAUSE on the screen to pause my iPod and then I unplug the ipod cable from the car's USB port. Then, I don't plug it back in until the car has been started again. It hasn't skipped once since I started doing this...knock on wood.