1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is anyone installing front springs soon? Need pic of strut mount

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by The Critic, Mar 12, 2013.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    [​IMG]Hey guys,

I ordered a new strut bearing for my front strut mounts and am confused as to how the strut bearing works.

If anyone is installing new front springs soon, can you please snap a few shots of your front strut mounts so that I can figure out how the bearing assembly works?

I was expecting to see some small bearings packed inside grease, but this is a solid plastic assembly with no moving parts. The shop manual states that the mount itself is installed OVER the bearing...so if you can take some pictures on how the mount turns, that'd be great.

Thanks.

2. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Its really a pillow bushing of sorts. It sits bellow the top hat. To replace it you will need to completly remove the strut from the car and then break down the strut assembly.

3. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, I've removed it several times before, but I fail to recall how the strut mount pivots. I would like to replace the strut bearing at my upcoming strut replacement, so I ordered the strut bearing separately. However, the part that arrived is simply one big plastic piece - so I am trying to understand how the bearing works (since the mount has to pivot somehow). If someone can take some pictures for me, that would be great.

4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I still have my OEM struts w/H&R springs in 1 piece. I can take a few pics this weekend when I go to remove the H&Rs from them.

5. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That would be great, thanks.

o/t: What struts/springs are in your car now?

6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tein Coilovers :cool:

7. Totmacher

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Whats the "no" to?

It's an icecream sandwich, the spring perch sits ontop of the springs, the bearing/pillow bushing/bushing, whatever you want to call it sits in the top hat on the lower side, then the tophat/strut nut compress' it all down to the spring/strut.

[​IMG]

8. Totmacher

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think your confusion is like I said it's more a pillow "bushing" and a strut "bearing". It does both though; the part allows the top hat to rotate on the top spring perch in the "bearing" sense (when you turn the stearing wheel the strut turns with the knuckle but the top hate stays solid to the car) but it also acts as the bushing between the 2 parts when the suspension compresses and the angle between the lower control arms and the center of the top hat changes, hence a pillow bushing.

~~Edit~~

Most people probably wouldnt even notice the piece when doing springs because the green grease Toyota uses keeps it secured to the top hat. So i could easily see pople thinking it was just 1 piece not 2. Whenever I do springs Ii always pull it out and wipe out all the dust/peel the OEM sticker off, then make sure there is adaquate grease and it's sitting properly in the top hat.

9. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is coming back to me now - I do remember that green grease! I remember that one of the mounts had some grease seeping out of it, and the L/F one was clunky and difficult to turn - while the right one was OK. I'll have to revisit this when I have the assemblies out again.

Thanks again for the description and the help.

10. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do u still want me to take pics?

11. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model: