1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is "Gliding" a Programmed-in Prius Illusion?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ekpolk, Oct 30, 2008.

1. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    As many of you may have noticed, about two months ago, I bought a slightly-used 09 TCH (we traded my son's ancient Cadillac) and the Prius is still in the stable, with son driving it most of the time.

When driving the Prius (which I still do occasionally on weekends), I find that car very easy to set into a good, long glide, no arrows going anywhere, and the nice hard overinflated tires extending the process as long as possible.

In contrast, the TCH seems almost IMPOSSIBLE to glide. I've tried all the little tricks I used in the Prius, but to no avail -- the arrows are always going one way or the other, and it's very hard, if not impossible, to hit that no-arrow "glide spot" that appears so easy in the Prius.

Which has left me wondering -- is "gliding" something that the programmers of the Prius ECU have set up as something you see on the screens -- what appears to be a buffer between draw and charge -- that's not really there? It certainly isn't there, at least by the displays, on the TCH. Or is there something fundamentally different about how the two cars are set up?

Guys (and gals), I know this is the Prius site, but I do still own one, and far and away, you find the best discussions of these issues here...

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The short answer is, yes, it is an illusion.

The "no arrows glide" isn't a true zero energy glide. The closest to that you
    can get is to be in Neutral. Go here for the whole story:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-t...parison-methods-pedal-control-vs-neutral.html

It is important to recall that the Energy Monitor its a rough approximation of
    what's going on in the HSD -- the Elec. Motor is really two motor/generators.
    Somewhere I have seen the Energy Monitor called a "mimic." OK, and a
    simplistic one at that.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi ekpolk,

The true glide in a Prius is very temperature sensitive. To be sure to drop be able to drop into a engine off glide, one needs to have the coolant up to 90 C. Below that , there are various temperature ranges it will do a true glide, but sometimes not, for some reason. The Prius display will often display no arrows while the engine idling along. If you get a tachometer and coolant/engine temp gauges, you can see this action.

So, the thing is, are you getting that big engine and its catalytic converters up to temp ? Maybe you need some grill blocking, even down there in FL?

4. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is a guess, not knowledge:

Perhaps the folks programming the display put in a smaller deadband range in the TCH than the Prius.

I think, but am not sure, that with the Scangauge II hooked up in a Prius to display traction battery current you can find out a small range of positive and negative current over which the arrows are off--not a zero range, even though the SGII display of CAN-bus data is itself both quantized and time-sampled instead of "real truth".

If a traction battery current code is known for the TCH, perhaps someone with an SGII could take a look?

Surely the right goal is to get the pedal close to the position that is the cross-over between current in and out. Seeing arrows off actually blinds you, so the TCH display choice may help you get a bit closer to the ideal.

5. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree.
    I can't comment about the TCH because we don't have the TCH in Japan.
    However, the 2001-2003 NHW11 Prius owners are saying it is very hard to do no arrows gliding.
    I believe the 2004-2009 NHW20 Prius has a wider display deadband range.

Ken@Japan

6. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It is very difficult to get into glide mode in my TCH. It only happens when going down hill and it last about 5 seconds., no long glide.

7. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I wondered about that specific question -- that is, did I have it warm enough. About a week ago, I installed the SG-IIx, and surprise, even with no "thermos" like the Prius has, this car warms up amazingly fast. It's well into fall here, and even on crisp mornings, it's up to 185-190F within two miles, tops. And it stays in that range. I'm still going to try grille blocking, but that's another story. I'm exploring for other parameters, but it just doesn't seem to be in this car's "genetics" to glide in the same way that a Prius does. It seems to hold a stealth run (with a proper initial SoC) better than the Prius did, but hey, I want my glides back... ;)

8. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After using a ScanGauge for many months, I've come to realize that gliding is really two things: the engine is off and the current into/out of the battery is minimal. Not zero, minimal. It is nearly impossible to get zero battery amps. On the MFD, with the arrows gone, it may appear that there is no energy flow, but it's there, just very slight. I've seen it as high as 5 amps in/out and show no arrows. In fact, with the engine completely warmed up and the car in park, and no accessories running, there will still be about 1.5 amps being discharged from the HV traction battery. I think this trickle current is the minimum "self sustaining" energy necessary to charge the 12 volt battery and power all the car's electronics.

So the whole point of "gliding" is to minimize the battery current. If you can feather the accelerator to maintain +/- 5 amps, that is good enough to call it a "glide". I'm using 5 amps as an arbitrary number. The goal is to minimize it during a glide, but not obsess over the exact magnitude or the lack of arrows. The arrows are a useful tool for those without a ScanGauge.

The reason to minimize the battery current is that usage of the battery is actually an inefficient use of energy transfer. You can minimize this inefficient energy transfer by minimizing battery current during a glide.

9. archae86

archae86 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Aha--an SG-II in place to answer the question: what is the deadband between in arrow and out arrow? If you have the required XGauge definition and thus can answer that for the car in question, and you or someone else for current generation Prius, we'll have an idea whether this difference is real or Memorex.

If no one else volunteers on the Prius side, I'll pull my SGII out of my A4, wheedle use of the Prius from my wife, and submit a deadband estimate based on observations of our 2006 Prius.

10. diamondlarry

diamondlarry EPA MPG #'s killer

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What I have found from my SG, there is about a 1.0 amp draw on the HV pack when in a "N" no-arrows glide when the headlights are off. When it's dark and the lights are on, the draw goes up to around 1.6 amps. I have seen as high as ~16 amps going into the HV pack when the speed reaches 37 mph. Once you get above 37, the SG reading goes back to the 1.0 or 1.6 amp level. This charge going into the pack begins to show up at around 32 mph. I should note that when gliding(no arrows) and still in "D", the current draw on the pack is around the 2-2.5 amp level. When the SG is showing the charge going into the pack there is a very noticeable feeling of drag. In light of this, I try to keep my Pulse speed at or below 31 mph since the majority of my driving is on rural county/country roads.

11. wseverin

wseverin New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You're talking Prius, not TCH, right? If you have some X-Gauge commands to get this info for the TCH I'm all ears. I've had my TCH for about a year and a half, and the X-Gauge same time, but cannot anywhere find any X-gauge commands (or the related CAN codes) to give battery SOC or current for the TCH. They're not the same as for Prius. I've tried. Any ideas?

12. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just a thought. Perhaps the percieved glide is merely that "sweet spot" or visual representation where you get the best fuel economy in Prius 04-09.

13. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Spitnuri,

The glide is where the car rolls along without the engine rotating. It actaully does happen. The display screen in the Prius will be all blank, but there are times when the Prius display screen is all blank, and the car is idling the engine. In both cases above about 20 mph, the display will read 99.9 mpg. But, with the engine off, the instantaneous fuel economy is infinite. As one slows below 20 mph, if the engine is idling, the instantaneous fuel economy will drop down below 99.9 mpg, but not if the engine is truely not turning.