1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is it actually my ABS Brake Actuator Assembly? ABS, VSC, (!), BRAKE lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by evilflibble, Dec 15, 2013.

1. evilflibble

evilflibble New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2005 Gen II Prius with 136K on it. I bought it used over a month ago. The VSC, ABS and (!) light along with the red BRAKE light started coming on a little over a week ago, while on there is a continuous rattling like the regenerative stuff is going on. Hills and bumps seem to be a partial source, but do not always trigger it, and are not always present. The lights seem to go away when I take sweeping corners, but can return almost immediately. Normally car has been running for 20-40 minutes before the lights come on. When the lights have come on when I've been on the freeway, a screeching warning alert comes on after a couple miles and stays on for a couple miles before all the lights and the screeching goes away.

The codes that Toyota pulled after the screeching happened the first time were: C2318, C1242, C1252, C1253, C1355, C1377

They replaced the 12V battery and then pulled the code C1253 after I got on the freeway home and the lights came back.

They recommend I have a new ABS brake actuator assembly for $2800 installed. The lights coming on are noted in the service history of the car in July and August before the previous owner sold the car.

On Friday, I pulled the car tight all the way around a traffic circle to turn around. The lights went off and have stayed off since, with about 100 miles of driving since then.

If this is actually the ABS actuator assembly failing, would it go away for long periods of time? Could it be something else? If I do need the actuator replaced, is getting a used part a bad idea?

Thank you to anyone who can help! Let me know if you need more details.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is quite possible that the brake actuator has failed intermittently, and in that case installation of a used part is a reasonable move to lower the repair cost.

It is also possible that the ABS MTR relay or ABS MTR2 relay has failed. Replacement of either would be a much less costly repair, so I suggest you ask your dealer whether those relays were tested.

The point of the screeching alarm is to tell you that the car is unsafe to drive and that you must immediately fix it.

3. evilflibble

evilflibble New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will ask the dealer, thanks.

Also, I checked the service history again and it turns out that an ABS light was first reported in August 2012 and then again in July 2013, so the times were farther apart. If that makes any difference.

4. evilflibble

evilflibble New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer tested the relays. The lights coming on and the shrieking sound are happening more often now. Is there a simple way to turn off the noise until I've gotten this into the shop? I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and have the ABS brake actuator assembly replaced. :(

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where are you located? That may make a difference.

6. evilflibble

evilflibble New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in Seattle, WA.