1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is my traction battery or ecu dead? dtc p3000

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by shawnlevine, Feb 6, 2013.

1. shawnlevine

shawnlevine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just hit 176k miles and the red triangle and amber circle with the exclamtion point showed up. Interesting fact it came on right when I replaced my left rear taillight. The LED on the old one went out. My ObdII Can tester did not show the error code, so I took it into a dealership and they told me it was dtc P3000 - batery control system. Any advise would be appreciated. I can clear it, with my obdIIcan tester, but lights come right back on.

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/is-my-traction-battery-failing.103656/page-2#ixzz2KA5NV4BJ

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the MIL (check engine) light turn on too? There are five INF subcodes for a P3000 DTC. The check engine light comes on for three of them - the first three on the list below. Why the stealership won't provide ALL of the DTC details really p...es me off.

Following are all the P3000 DTC subcodes. Politely ask those idiots if they would share with you what the INF subcode was. If they won't or don't know how, never go back to that place again if you have other dealers nearby.

These INF subcodes are for a 2006 so they might not be correct for a 2005.

3. shawnlevine

shawnlevine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The check engine light did not go on. I did call and leave a message with the service manager to give me the subcode, he did not call me back. Anyway I guess it would be eighther 388 0r 389.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it's 388, the DTC is output when the SOC of the traction battery decreases as a result of leaving the car in neutral too long, running out of fuel, or a malfunction in the HV control system. An abnormal signal input from the battery ECU ( a discharge inhibition control malfunction).

if it's 389, the DTC is output if the HV battery is depleted or if the HV control system has a malfunction. An abnormal signal input from the battery ECU (a high voltage drop was detected).

So, there it is.

(1) the traction battery might have discharged too much by "accidentally" leaving it in neutral.

(2) your Prius "thinks" it's out of fuel for some reason - real or not.

(3) worst case scenario- a malfunction in the HV control system involving the traction battery and/or the control system.

Good luck, I hope it's not (3)