1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is this part vital to the operation of the vehicle?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ericisbacchus, Jun 29, 2015.

1. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, last night I'm heading home from the Lake of the Ozarks and was on I-70. I had the cruise at 75mph. I see a critter walk out in front of me (I think it was a large possum or a racoon), and in the 1 second or so I had to react, I decided not to risk the lives of my family and just plow through the animal.

I'm pretty sure it exploded under our 2005 Prius.

When we were almost home, I could hear something scraping the ground. Got out and jammed the molded plastic under the bumper back up. Then I duct taped it up there. MacGuyver!

So I'm wondering, how vital are those parts to the operation of the car? I assume they protect something like the coolant thermos or something? The bumper itself looks mostly fine...just some small cracking of the paint.

I ask because I'm assuming with a $500 deductible it might not be worth it to turn it into insurance. I'm thinking of just ripping those trashed molded plastic parts out and being done with it.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not essential, but probably helps mpg's a wee bit and may protect things from objects flying up.

4. ericisbacchus

ericisbacchus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cool. So it looks like the name of the parts in question are the skid plates? I know some of the connectors are jacked...the screws were ripped out.

5. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    might want to make sure there are no animal parts hung up on the exhaust system...
    its easy to fix that stuff. don't just jury rig it. get all the right screws and clips too