1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Bought a 2008 Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Armacham, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Armacham

Armacham New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone. I just purchased a 2008 Prius with about 47000 miles and I had a few questions! The dealer says they changed the oil, but I will probably get the oil changed at 50000 for piece of mind, and to get back on the normal maintenance schedule. Based on the records available on the Toyota owners site, the car was due for a couple of recalls, and I've already had that taken care of. Is there anything else that I might want to have my mechanic look at while I'm getting the oil changed and tires rotated at 50,000?

My other question is tire related. The car has Firestone Affinity touring on the rear axle, and Sumotomo Touring LST on the front axle. I'm not finding any information saying that these are LRR tires, but they both have plenty of tread left, and I'm still getting about 45 mpg. Should I just go ahead and wait for one of these sets to wear out before replacing them, or should would I benefit from changing them sooner?

2. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Congrats on your new Prius! Maybe someone else will have some pointers maintenance-wise. The tires however I'd say run them til they need replacing unless you really want a new set of LRR tires or if these cause any handling issues.

Best of luck!

HTC Evo 3D

3. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I hate mismatched tires, I would shop around for two tires of either brand (hopefully used) and match them up, then run them until the wear bars show.

4. Gorilla97

Gorilla97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! I just purchased my 2008 with 88k miles today as well. I have to wait until tomorrow to actually pick it up from the seller but I'm stoked to start driving it and spending lots of time on this site. Post pictures when you have them and enjoy!

5. Armacham

Armacham New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much of an MPG difference do you think I am seeing from having the non LRR tires? I'm guessing that switching now would not pay for itself, as we are probably talking at least $450 for a set of tires with installation.

Edit: I also did some more research and it looks like the Firestones on the back are LRR tires, but the Sumitomos are NOT.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat. i would guess non lrr's cost 3-5 mpg's. all the best!(y)

7. Armacham

Armacham New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So that would save me less than a $100 a year if I switched tires now. Wouldn't pay for itself, so I will not worry about them until they need replacing.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Unless you are not willing to sacrifice MPG, I too recommend you stick with the tires you have until you need replacements. Then you should consider purchasing a full set of matched LRR type tires.

Depending on your driving habits, you are only losing anywhere from three to six MPG or slightly more.

One thing that will help you is to keep the air pressure set close or to max of the amount printed on the sidewall of the tires. It is recommended to run two pounds higher in the front than the back. Whatever you choose to run, it is not wise to exceed the maximum amount specified on the tires.

Best of luck to you.