1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

just bought new Prius - "battery theft" song and dance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wander88, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Wander88

Wander88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there - I just purchased a 2008 Prius (package 5). Everything went fine with the sale process (as "fine" as such things go), until I got to the Chris Farley-esque Financial Guy complete with hair sticking out in every direction, tie askew, and red sweaty face. He gave me his schpeal on why I need all their various protection plans and the prepaid maintenance package for the next century or so, to which I turned them all down. But one thing he kept saying I found particularly funny was the the "high instance of hybrid battery theft" and how they "go for $12K on the black market". He was trying to, of course, sell me some battery theft protection package that he would just not lighten up about. He kept insisting it's a horrible thing that I really need to be concerned with. Sounded pretty fishy to me. If I were a crackhead, I doubt I'd be trying to figure out how to get a hybrid battery out to sell.

so I googled it and found nothing about it. Just curious if anybody has heard this, and/or at least had the same speech given to them at a car dealer? (I didn't buy the package BTW)

-Wendy

2. thecoook

thecoook Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is always the "empty holster left on the dash" deterrent system, plays on their physce. Or perhaps the universal "High Voltage" sign.

3. chriscard25

chriscard25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello,

Battery packs are not even close to that amount, maybe 3,000 new, and theft is not an issue. At all. Probably an electrocution risk.

Good call!

Chriscard25

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wendy, welcome to the site. I believe you found a new level of sleaze. You should mention this on your customer survey.:D

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't know why he tried to hype the battery as a theft item. You would need to get past the security system to get into the car, you need to take out the seats, it is kind of a good idea to make sure it is really disconnected, and they are sort of big and heavy to sneak around with. He would have done better to try and scare you about the HID headlights. There are some cities (none of them in Oregon) where people will try to cut or rip out the headlights and sell them. I have no idea how they find someone to buy used headlights off a car they don't know anything about, but I guess methamphetamine is one helluva drug.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You gotta applaud the creativity these guys have it affecting the extraction of money from you.... Though the phrase lying sack of sh*t sure comes to mind. A discussion with a VP of the company about how you were treated and whether that's the type of message he'd like you to convey to your friends and family who are potential customers. A letter to the BBB is worth while too.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fabulous First Post!!

Welcome to PriusChat, and thank you for recalling this experience for the benefit of all.

Oh, and one more thing:

Congratulations!!! You now own the best production car made.

8. Wander88

Wander88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses! Yes, I'm very glad to finally be a hybrid and Prius owner. Also, now I can sleep at night knowing my battery is indeed in no danger of being ripped out of my car the second I turn my back.

And, yes, as soon as the consumer marketing people contact me about my experience with the dealer, I plan to mention the treatment I got from the financial guy, though I doubt it will do much good.

9. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :welcome: Welcome to PriusChat, Wander88! I hope you check out the local group. Would you care to name the dealer you bought from? Inquiring minds want to know...

10. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Metal theft is in the news; maybe that's the angle he was after.

11. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    X2 If we knew the name all of us could call up the dealership and inquire about the battery theft protection package that Mr. Sleazeball told you about. :)

12. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think that you already have a "battery theft protection package" in the form of your automobile insurance.

Now that you turned him down, he's going to shuffle off to his home. And where do you suppose he lives?

In a VAN, down by the RIVER. ;)

13. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We've got lots of rivers in the Portland area, most quite beautiful.

14. earthworm

earthworm New Member

I second efusco:gotta admire brass,& kenmce's implication of the shock hazard.Can someone confirm/deny this? I get a mental picture of finding my Prius vandalized with a cooked corpse beside it*BEG*.

15. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Kenmca
    you've got it right.....

methamphetamine is one helluva drug.
    LOL

16. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, Portland is a very nice city.

I don't believe that Matt Foley lived in a van near any of the rivers in Portland.

17. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Must have been in Missouri, near Nixa, since he said, "All right, all right, all right, I'll pedal! Let's all pedal everybody, make Evan happy! Here we go, pedaling away!"

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would anyone steal the battery? Stupid things only last a couple of years anyway.

19. Wander88

Wander88 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer was Broadway Toyota in Portland.:rolleyes:

20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You don't have to worry about the battery. However you should get protection (and I assume he tried to sell you) from people stealing the flux capacitor.