1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

just brought new pruis v-model 5, not happy

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by eview, Nov 30, 2013.

1. eview

eview Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i had driven it twice during day, then got last nite, very bad blind spots when driving....any suggestions....dealer said to add the little mirrors on the side mirrors, but i think this looks bad..
    when i was driving home last nite, it was dark and could not see the cars beside me or in the side mirrors....i had adjusted the mirrors but they are so dark....
    also dealer not really go by truecar prices. the added warranties killed the decent price, do i need all of the additional warranties such as : 1. flexible maintenance care which covers 24 hr, oil changes, tires rotation, the interval at every 5,10, etc k miles for 471.00 2. new vehicle extended service agreement up to 84/80k miles plus car rental, etc. never been a big fan of these, so dont know...was told covers all, but now reading, lots of exceptions 3. extended powertrain, etc for life, free thru dealer 4. 60 mos tires, replacement, damages, wheel damages (pothole), wheel replacement, 599. 5. extended service agreement, 2981.00, 6. exterior/environmental protection, interior protection and vinyl and leather protection, 5 yrs for 595.00.....does anyone think these are necessary?????i am supposed to have 60 days to cancel, i wanted to get back to him on mon, but would not let me...so dont know if i have been railroaded in to these additional 3k plus extras....please help me make a wise decision.....wish i had gotten outlander sport now or the nisson rogue....i called this am abt all of these and got the run around again....they were also offering a 250 gift card for people coming in yesterday b4 12n, no one told me, and did not see on news til i got home late from dealership, i had this appmt over 3 wks ago and it was made in afternoon or i would have gone in am....i was also told there was no bumper guard but the prius v brochure states there is one, which i wanted....

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    punctuation much?

Silver bullit likes this.
  3. eview

eview Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i had driven it twice during day, then got last nite, very bad blind spots when driving....any suggestions....dealer said to add the little mirrors on the side mirrors, but i think this looks bad..
    when i was driving home last nite, it was dark and could not see the cars beside me or in the side mirrors....i had adjusted the mirrors but they are so dark....
    also dealer not really go by truecar prices. the added warranties killed the decent price, do i need all of the additional warranties such as : 1. flexible maintenance care which covers 24 hr, oil changes, tires rotation, the interval at every 5,10, etc k miles for 471.00 2. new vehicle extended service agreement up to 84/80k miles plus car rental, etc. never been a big fan of these, so dont know...was told covers all, but now reading, lots of exceptions 3. extended powertrain, etc for life, free thru dealer 4. 60 mos tires, replacement, damages, wheel damages (pothole), wheel replacement, 599. 5. extended service agreement, 2981.00, 6. exterior/environmental protection, interior protection and vinyl and leather protection, 5 yrs for 595.00.....does anyone think these are necessary?????i am supposed to have 60 days to cancel, i wanted to get back to him on mon, but would not let me...so dont know if i have been railroaded in to these additional 3k plus extras....please help me make a wise decision.....wish i had gotten outlander sport now or the nisson rogue....i called this am abt all of these and got the run around again....they were also offering a 250 gift card for people coming in yesterday b4 12n, no one told me, and did not see on news til i got home late from dealership, i had this appmt over 3 wks ago and it was made in afternoon or i would have gone in am....i was also told there was no bumper guard but the prius v brochure states there is one, which i wanted....

4. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very difficult to read.
    Just pasting the same message again doesn't make it any better. :confused:

Plus it's posted in the wrong area, best I can tell...

kenoarto likes this.
  5. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Yes, you got railroaded but it sounds like you would have been railroaded wherever you bought your car. All the dealers try to sell unnecessary warranties. You just have to say NO.

6. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Go back to the dealer and tell them you want to cancel the warranty. They are almost always a bad economic choice. And many states have a cancellation period written into law just because of such pressure tactics.

But anyone who goes to a dealer and signs anything without reading the full legal part of what they are agreeing to has little sympathy. You know in advance they are going to try to get you to agree to things that make them money, don't. Always say ... give it to me and I'll take it home and read it and get back to you ... don't be too eager to drive the new car away. The best deal you'll ever get is the one where you plant doubt in their minds about if you will buy. Always make the deal so simple even you can understand it.

kenoarto likes this.
  7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Cancel everything. They count on you being excited to drive it away and are experts in making you think you need this stuff. I would also cancel the loan by getting another one somewhere else, all after a heart to heart talk with the GM of the dealership. Most of those extras are 50% or more pure profit for the dealer.

If you want a Toyota extended warranty realize that some dealers sell a Platinum 125k mile one for $1200 and still make money. An extended warranty provides nothing until your 3 year factory warranty expires BUT the extended warranty period will be 3 years used up at that time. You can buy an extended warranty from any Toyota dealer until your factory warranty runs out. Don't buy a third party (non-Toyota) warranty from anyone.

You get 2 year 24,000 mile oil changes and rotations for free. After that pay for it or do them yourselves. A dealer in my area charges $39 for full synthetic oil change and you can buy lifetime rotations for $32 at Walmart.

Finally, adjust the mirrors out until you can't see your own car. You can then see a car to your side but you need to test to get comfortable. You still look at the mirror and still make sure there isn't a car in the passenger side window. The bumper guards are available on ebay or on this site, either the factory decal (which is ok) or a rubber version. Both just stick on.

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It's a NEW car and a DIFFERENT car.

You'll have to get use to the car. I thought the same as you did, when I got mine. In a few months, I got used to it.

9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Blind spots are on every car, you need to adjust your mirrors, seats and turn your head to solve blind spots.

Looks like the dealer had a good day with your sale, you agreed to everything they offered you. CANCEL them all. Its not that the dealer is a crook, its that you made bad decisions on dealer extras. All dealers do the same, so if you had purchased a Mitsubishi, they would have offered the same money makers. I do applaud you for buying the Prius. Don't know if you have owned a Toyota before or not, but you can't go wrong with a Toyota. Congratulations and happy trouble free driving.

kithmo likes this.
  10. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Bad blind spots? Huh?

11. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sounds like buyer's regret after being beaten like a red-headed stepchild by an F&I salesman. I love dealing with these guys. The company I retired from provided training to dealerships on techniques F&I salesmen can use to extract the most money from customers.

After reading eview's post, I decided to drive my wife's "v" to the grocery store this morning and pay special attention to visibility from the driver seat. We realized before we bought the car that visibility from the driver seat is not great and the reason we had only the four large side windows tinted and left the four little side windows and the rear hatch window un-tinted.

I have apparently adjusted to the driver seat visibility situation and no longer notice it. I pay particular attention to adjusting the side mirrors properly and have learned to alternate between checking the image from the backup camera and looking over my right shoulder as I back up. While I no longer regard the visibility situation as a serious problem, I certainly would have liked for the two little rear side windows and the rear hatch window to be substantially larger.

Current styling trends have reduced visibility from the driver seat of many vehicles - even four-dour sedans. The sill levels of side windows have risen substantially and are now often at or above shoulder level instead of just above elbow level. Rear windows of many - even large - sedans appear to be narrow slits of glass from the driver seats. Backup cameras have become mandatory. I long for the old days of huge, tall car windows but I appreciate what smaller windows and higher window sills have contributed to safety in crashes.

12. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Not the first or last time that someone took their unhappy reaction about the buying experience and projected that onto the car they bought. While I have no sympathy for car dealers/salespeople in general, the fault still lies squarely on the buyer for being unprepared to deal with sales tactics.

13. Makaru

Makaru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    1. flexible maintenance care which covers 24 hr, oil changes, tires rotation, the interval at every 5,10, etc k miles for 471.00

Not needed

2. new vehicle extended service agreement up to 84/80k miles plus car rental, etc. never been a big fan of these, so dont know...was told covers all, but now reading, lots of exceptions

You did not state price on this

3. extended powertrain, etc for life, free thru dealer

Only free cause you bought all the other add ons.

4. 60 mos tires, replacement, damages, wheel damages (pothole), wheel replacement, 599

Totally ridiculous purchase. How many wheels have you written off in your driving life? My answer is zero. Tires of course need replacment, but my guess is you will be given prorated discount on full MRSP for the tire...ie real world value, nothing.

5. extended service agreement, 2981.00,==

Bad purchase.

6. exterior/environmental protection, interior protection and vinyl and leather protection, 5 yrs for 595.00.....does anyone think these are necessary?????i am supposed to have 60 days to cancel,

Again, probably at max $50.00 worth of car care products would do the same thing. Interior protection=Scotchguard or similar. Leather and Vinyl protection-you can buy at virtually any hardware or car store for 10 bucks.

Why do F&I people push these products? Because they earn 40 to 60% commission on the selling price (and sometimes even more). I am sure the dealer made far more money on these products than on the car itself, and the F&I salesman went home that night with a very smug look on his or her face.

You will get extreme pressure put to bear when you try and cancel. Make sure you cancel in writing and follow all the rules they have put into the contract.

Next time you buy a car, suggest you learn the art of how to say no. My dealer tried to sell some of the same products and I told the guy the price is not going up one penny from my agreed upon price and he could put any product on as long as it is free.

In a former job I dealt with these type of people at dealers and some are total pirates without an ounce of concern for you the customer. The only concern is earning maximum $$ for their wallet and the dealership's.

kenoarto likes this.
  14. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1. Cancel everything. Prius is one of the most reliable cars on the road. You don't need it. Maintenance is already free for two years. Prius also has the some of the lowest maintance costs as long as you follow the owner's manual. Do not pay for any add-ons.
    2. Blind spots are bad on this vehicle. Search YouTube for proper adjustment of side mirrors like this one.

3. Ignore comments from some of the replies on this post. This forum is full of Prius fanboys that don't tolerate negative comments on their chosen mode of transportion. You made a great choice in a car. You are the victim of aggressive dealer pressure.
    4. Use proper punctuation.
    5. Enjoy your car.

mangomegan, AllenZ and massparanoia like this.
  15. jonb505

jonb505 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Better get used to blind spots, as others have mentioned it is the trend, more metal, less glass. I hear the newest thing coming out right now is 360 degree cameras all around. Eventually we will all be driving tanks, encased in a steel box with a small mail slot window for the driver and cameras showing us the rest. :D

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    on the plus side, it is a very roomy car with flexible rear seating.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you adjust your outside mirrors?

I was taught to be able to see directly behind, and the sides of the car, on both outside mirrors. But decades ago, long before the modern style of reduced back visibility swept across the whole industry, I abandoned that practice and shifted to the concept described in the video in Post #14. Any mirror view overlap is wasteful when other angles are uncovered.

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd give you advice, but it would pretty much be the exact advice already presented.

You can cancel warranties and adjust mirrors.

But the unfortunate thing is that if you've just bought the vehicle, and you are already unhappy? I don't have a lot of confidence that you will become happy with the passage of time.

I hope you prove me wrong and that you can find a way to enjoy the vehicle you just purchased. It's too bad if you drive off the lot with a new vehicle and so quickly are disgruntled with the whole purchase.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't had a chance to read all the replies nor the original post but another source (what I used) to adjust my mirrors was Avoiding The Blind Spot | Car Talk.

I had to do this ages ago when I got my 04 350z in 03. Now I do it on all my cars. And yes, mirror overlap is totally wasteful. There's no reason to see the side of your car in the mirrors when in a normal driving position.

mmmodem likes this.
  20. eview

eview Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I want to thank everyone for the helpful suggestions. I have been trying to get in touch w/ someone at the dealership for over 2 days, no reply. So I guess I will just have to drive there again, which is over 60 miles, and have a talk with the dealer mgr. I also read where I was supposed to get the Toyota care plus maintenance plan free which extended the warranty up to 75k miles, if you bought the car b4 1-2-2014, which I did not get. I think this was offered thru Toyota and not the dealership. I will be canceling the warranties, as everyone suggested. I thought I was well prepared. I had researched and test drove several small suv's b4 the purchase. I should have taken a man in w/ me. However, I did not have these problems with the last 2 cars that I purchased. In fact, I got over 10k off on the Mazda6 and 5k off on the Infiniti by researching the cars. This car is a little bigger than my last car, which was a Mazda6 Touring S wagon. I will try to improve on my punctuation, but I am used to abbreviating and using small letters. I have carpal tunnel in both hands and I try to type the least amount as possible. I want to thank everyone again for the help. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I will read all of the information that everyone suggested regarding the blind spots. I don't know if anyone has every used Truecar to get a price and certificate on a new car, but the dealers are supposed to honor their prices because they have a contract with Truecar. However, I am now finding out that most of the dealers I spoke with do not.