1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just had spark plugs changed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alfon, Sep 5, 2013.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    After 105,000 miles, when I had our Prius repaired under the new brake recall, I had
    the spark plugs changed and I had the service techs. replace with Bosch Iridium plugs. ( I got the Bosch plugs for only like $4.00 each with rebates etc. at O'Rielly Auto Parts). Toyota only charged me $28.00 for changing the plugs as during the brake recall they had to take all the stuff out anyways which made it real easy to change the plugs.

The plugs they took out they gave me. They are Nippendenso plugs, Iridium. They looked like
    they could go at least another 100,000 miles. All had no noticeable wear or corrision with no residue. I could not believe it...

I have been driving since 1966 and back in those days I changed plugs every 10,000 miles or so because you had to.

2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    alfon,
    This is a great post , thank you !

My 128K mile Gen3 is due for this recall but I have not been contacted yet.
    I will probably do the same and hand the service writer a copy of your post to get a similar deal.
    How were you contacted to bring it in for the recall?

I agree with you on plug life. These probably didn't need to be changed. Could you tell if they are double iridium?
    You know, a dot of iridium on both sides of the gap?

But then again,,, I'm trying to sell the Prius, so I may pass this info on to the next owner.
    I am leaving the old tech Prius behind and bought a '13 Volt !! The highest tech car on the road!!
    And on paper this was just a $7000 upgrade from this Prius I bought last November for $15.5k.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's too bad. Bosch makes a poor plug and you'll probably have to go back in there and get those out of the engine and replace them with proper Denso's.

toyotechwv likes this.
  4. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ed,
    Com'on, where do you reference your statements?

How will alfon know the inferior Bosch plugs need to be changed?
    Should he wait another 100k and see how they compare?

alfon,
    Have you changed your transaxle fluid? ( my pet peeve with these cars.. )
    You need to do this to get to the 200k mark!
    Reference: ATF fluid changes ARE Required. | PriusChat
    (Just go to the oil analyses.)

5. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Never had much luck with Bosch.

6. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How is this referenced?

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's been a few Gen II posts with people who have used Bosch and ended up taking them out.
    But it's well known Bosch makes a very poor spark plug. Please google:

Bosch bad spark plug

The engine will run best both in Gen 2 & 3 with the factory Denso's. That is a very high quality plug.

Merkey likes this.
  8. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bosch iridium plugs I believe have a 7 year warranty. The Prius Nippendso plugs appear to be double iridium.
    On the brake recall I was notified by mail from Toyota about 3-4 weeks ago. I believe Toyota can also
    check your vin # to see if your vehicle is on the recall.

I have not changed the tranny fluid as of yet. .

9. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    alfon,

Do you know if the Bosch were double iridiums? If they have only the dot on the center electrode and a normal ground electrode they may not age as gracefully as the original spark plugs.

Did you see the condition of the ATF I drained at 112k miles? The change is easy!
    You won't question if it was needed maintenance like the spark plug change.
    Yeah, I registered with Toyota online for this brake recall. I have not bugged my local dealer though.

And I won't. My '10 Prius IV Solarsunroof has left the driveway for the last time last night! It is now someone elses issue to get the recall done.

I now drive a '13 Volt !! The highest tech car on the road !!!

Sayonara Suckers , won't be seeing you at the pumps !!

ed,

I found people saying "I put bosch plugs in my MG back in the 70's and it 'did not like' them. I think it is a culture clash thing". You know what they say about opinions....
    Maybe only Porsche/Audi/VW and Ferrari run fine with bosch. Jap cars need jap plugs.... Could that be what ordinary people are experiencing? (although not reproducible in any scientific way).

10. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please give us facts that the volt is the highest tech car on the road.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bill-
    I'm in other car forums and no one has anything good to say about Bosch plugs. Best to use the factory Nippo's in this car as that is a very good plug.

12. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm just giving an opinion, like others here.

But can you name a higher tech car than the Volt?

It's really just a Prius with a much bigger battery pack and it can be driven as fast as you like in EV, not limited to 62 mph like the PiP, and a lame 13 miles.
    It may be that these transaxles are made by the same supplier.
    Only the Volt is an obvious 'Leap in Technology' from the 14 year old Prius system.
    The battery range indicator is just an 'guessimater' and it learns.
    I had it almost 2 weeks now. It tells me I have 44 miles EV every morning and that has been my average, which costs me ~$1.98. Will be much less when I have access to the new outlets at work.
    Thank you forward looking employers !!!!!

13. Pando

Pando New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    >> But can you name a higher tech car than the Volt?

Umm..., the Tesla. No?

14. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Nope. Just another lame EV.
    Tesla drivers get "Range Anxiety".

As a Leaf driving friend told me, "Real EV'rs leave their sense of adventure and impulse at the door".
    Now the car, and the wife tells you, "Straight Home".

I guess as a second, commuter car a Tesla would be fun!
    But then, the wealthy have no problems buying fun.

15. Pando

Pando New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a quick reminder that your question was "can you name a higher tech car than the Volt," which doesn't have anything to do with the psychology of the driver. Don't try to change the goalposts. (y)

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What I do find interesting about the Volt is that the engine's tucked away somewhere, not directly connected to the wheels, just runs to charge the battery as needed. And no range anxiety.

17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. drinnovation

drinnovation EREV for EVER!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

That is not quite correct. The Volt design, part of its technical advance, was using added clutches to allow the engine to be disconnected and used as a direct generator for pure serial hybrid mode as well as being coupled into the engine for a parallel hybrid mode. This allows upto 15% fuel improvement in CS mode (i.e. parallel mode as in a Prius or Lexus) while also allowing the alternative design with a much larger EV traction motor and not having to worry about overdriving the smaller EV motor. Its part of why the volt can do 100mph in EV without any problem for the motors.
    Also since the ICE may go for up to 6 weeks without use, it makes sense to keep it out of the drivetrain operation most of the time.

Nice video on the volt drive train

But note the speeds of 35 and 70mph are examples.. it can be in parallel as low as 35 and serial as high as 100. Its more about the load on the engine than the speed.

Bill Norton and Mendel Leisk like this.
  19. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes , you may have been reading about the next gen hybrids using a "2 clutch design" to separate power sources.

Well the Volt uses that NOW! ( For a while they were claiming it was just a series hybrid, but now that all patents are in place, they admit the engine directly couples to the eCVT).

The Volt is a Prius with a big HV battery and a current generation 3 clutch eCVT.

As Lutz wanted at the beginning of the design process, the Volt is a "Leap in Technology" over the Prius.
    The Prius was cutting edge 14 years ago. But, technology marches on...

In 2 weeks of ownership I bought ~$10 in electricity, according to my killawatt. and 35% of a 9.5 gal tank of gas. This would have been two tanks in the Prius.
    (Some electric came from work, {3 days worth of 6 kwh charges} but that is on hold now.)

Early Adopters be ready for the haters.
    "Company X adopts forward looking Clean Energy Initiative. Most employees don't like it".
    "Main theme of unfavorable employee attitude appears to be: 'It's not fair. I want X to pay for my gas also' ".

But gas is not a clean, potentially renewable, energy source. (Plus the dollars go to middle east oil kingdoms).
    Where I live my Volt is powered by: coal, nuclear, wind and a little hydro. Still trying to find ratio.

"American Made --- American Fueled" (mostly)...

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bill, you should update your profile. ;)

(or do you still have the Prius?)