1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just ordered one...

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by texasshawshank, Jun 29, 2016.

1. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For many TDI owners Jun 28 is a big date. After VW confirmed most rumors on the day, I called dealer and placed order for a 2016 Prius Three with AT package. (also silver exterior and moonstone interior).
    It's interesting that AT package showed up on Toyota website as an option for Three with a Houston, TX zip code whereas before the optional package box was empty in the vehicle configurator.
    Dealer told me it will take 8-10 weeks for the order to deliver, but it could be sooner if they can located a vehicle already in the US. I am not in a hurry anyway as VW won't start the buy-back until fall.
    I know there are a lot of TDI owners here and I think they will share my thoughts here as well -- I think I am going to miss the torque, the solid build, stiff body, better quality interior, sporty suspension, and the nimble 6-spd manual shift, but it's time to move on. I am more excited to see a higher gas mileage, a quieter ride, and a new car loaded with tech.
    I am formally a member of PriusChat club!

Jim in NC, jbkendrick, ETP and 4 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! i hope you like it!(y)

ETP likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations - same here - I had a FORD Focus 2.0l Diesel, 6sp manual - 2 cars ago - and still occasionally crave for the phenomenal torque and roadholding, but on the very odd times I'm heading up a winding mountain road (or around a fast roundabout) - though the Prius seems better built than the SouthAfrican assembled Ford, and has more tech. I haven't explored the limits of Prius around roundabouts yet.

ETP likes this.
  4. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Let us know about the MPG. Seems the older ones got less than the regular Prius.

Former diesel man myself. 4 VW Rabbits and two MBs.

5. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I'm one as well with a 2011 Golf TDI sitting in my driveway awaiting the buy back. I don't really miss the torque as the gen 4 has plenty for my driving style, but I do miss the tight and precise steering as the gen 4 is much lighter feeling and tends to wander a bit. The engine and DSG transmission in the TDI is the best combo I've ever driven, even better than the 1998 SL 500 we had years ago, and it cost 3 times more than the VW.

While I'll miss it a bit, I am loving the tech in my 4 with atp and pcp, and unlike many others, I really like the Navigation and entune, though I do keep waze running in the background so I can hear alerts. J

ETP and Jim in NC like this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Focus averaged 43.6 US MPG (Fiesta diesel averaged 51 US MPG). I've driven so little in the Prius (haven't been well), but it showed an improvement over the Fiesta in 3 out of 4 trips I've made - best was 62 to the doctor and back today.

As with the diesels, it's a long time between fills.

It also feels good when your car compliments you at the end of a trip!!! But I'm sure I'll get over that.

ETP and jbkendrick like this.
  7. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    LOL, I mentioned that to my wife just yesterday afternoon. Told her the car just told me I had great driving style at the end of the trip, and she said, whaaaat?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2010 Jetta Sports Wagon averages between 44-48mpg between fill up (mostly highway). On pure highway it was able to do around 52mpg, that number dropped to a tag below 50 after I switched to low profile tires (dumb idea in retrospective), and dropped to current number after a VW recall repair on diesel emission after the scandal broke out. Apparently VW had been trying to fix the emission problem under the carpet.

ETP likes this.
  9. texasshawshank

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same here. I didn't push the prius very hard while doing test drive, so I don't know how much total torque it can deliver. It's interesting Toyota only gives the engine and mortor's torques separately, because their power curves are different, it's not clear how much torque ends up on the tires.
    I still think VW is the best delivering (almost) premium vehicles without premium price. But I have been driving a TDI for over 10 years, and they really screwed up, big. It's time for a change.

ETP and jbkendrick like this.
  10. jbkendrick

jbkendrick Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know what the numbers are, but from a stop at an intersection it is very quick to accelerate if you give it that input. And I've had no trouble at all merging onto a highway. Definitely let's you know you've asked it to perform with that cvt growl, or is it a whine

ETP likes this.