1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just test driven - some questions for more experienced types

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hyphz, Sep 2, 2010.

1. hyphz

hyphz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've just been test-driving a 2010 Prius (UK model, Spirit T) and I was quite impressed - well, I ordered one anyway. :) I did notice it lacked a few of the quirks I've read about which I guess apply to US models (the speech when you press the Voice Command key is mercifully brief - and has a heavy Brit accent :) - and a passenger can operate the nav) But I do have a few questions I'd like to ask the experienced folks here.

1. What's the best way of coming to a stop on unlevel road? The salesman told me to "just hold the brake" but I don't like the sound of that. I tried both using the parking brake while remaining in D and shifting to P during the test, but which of these is better? (The scanned owner's manual I read said to leave it in D as long as possible, but operating the parking brake felt a bit weird - just because I'm not used to it not being a handbrake; I usually drive a manual) One thing that did bother me was that even if I held the brake and shifted to P, then let go of the brake, it would still roll back a tiny bit before the car realized it needed to do stuff to stay still.

2. Do you use IPA? When reversing do you tend to use the camera, or the mirror, or just the gaze over the shoulder? (Or all three, but which most?)

3. Are hill starts usually done as you would in a manual (parking brake on, press accelerator until it bites, release parking brake) or is there a better way?

2. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1. Parking on unlevel road. For me, i would press the brake pedal to stop the car. Then, i would push the parking brake in. Release the brake pedal (put in N) to make sure that the car stays in place with the parking brake only. Finally, put PARK. I actually do this most of the time, even on level ground.

2. I use IPA whenever i can and have time (aka no car waiting for me to park). I use the camera and mirrors when i backout or park. However, i have 3" convex mirrors on both of my outside mirrors, which makes parking against a curb a breeze.

3. Not sure about over there, but the Prius in USA comes with "Hill Start Assist". You just press the brake pedal more than normal when you're stop. There is an icon that comes on (forgot if it was a special icon or just the wiggly lines). The point is that HSA will "hold" your car via brakes for a few seconds (1 or 2 sec i think) while you transition from brake to gas pedal. So, no, you do not have to use the parking brakes.

Hope this helps.

2 people like this.
  3. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, no handbrake is really weird, and i too dislike the weird wobble when using P. After you've stopped, engaging the parking brake and then using P or N makes sense. if it's only a temporary stop (lights, roundabout etc) then i would just hold the brake - but i would do that in a manual as well.

Couldn't get it to work on the test drive car, don't have it on the T4. Do have parking sensors, which are infinitely more useful.

Push the brake all the way to the floor, you get a double beep and a yellow light, you now have about 3 seconds to get on the accelerator. Because the car tries to "creep" in D, hill starts are really not a problem, unless it's VERY steep.

Hope you enjoy the new car, did you get any extra options? How long till it's delivered?

1 person likes this.
  4. hyphz

hyphz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Does just holding the brake at lights in a Prius wear out the pads, or is it actually triggering different mechanisms?

One other question - do you ofter change between Eco/Pwr modes in the middle of a drive? I tried doing so a bit; I wanted to see if I could get up to speed on a motorway or A-road and then hit Eco. That worked but I found it a bit hard to find the buttons while keeping my eyes on the road, and it doesn't help that my fingers naturally creep towards the hazard warning button! Do people use those buttons much mid-travel?

The delivery time I was quoted was mid-December but I did ask for the Safety Pack. The dealer said I could have a "regular Spirit T" in a week or two if I was in a rush.

5. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just keep on standard mode (no mode buttons pushed).

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    When you press the brake pedal and hold it the "fake auto creep" stops. It starts again when you release the brake pedal. When stopped at a light I will use the pedal only. When stopped waiting for some time (parked but car in "ready"), I use the parking brake first, -then- put it in "P". There is always some play in the mechanical bits so when you release the brake pedal the car may move ever so slightly.

I would -never- use "P" when waiting for a light. If someone rear-ends you there would be damage to the HSD (in addition to whatever other damage results).

Do note the parking brake is not very strong unless you really press hard when engaging it. I apply Pearl's lightly (car in "P") when I get out to open the garage door and the car will cause the rear wheels to creak if I push it in either direction (brake shoes dragging makes the noise). I suspect the disk brakes work in a similar fashion.

1 person likes this.
  7. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Holding the brake down all the way activates the hill start assist which allows the brakes to remain engaged after you let go so you don't roll backwards on a hill

8. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mines been in Eco mode since i got it in April. All the same power is available, you just need to push the pedal further. it makes it easier to keep where you want to be on the HSI.

1 person likes this.
  9. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Prius DVD says to use the "hand brake" when stopped. I almost always just use the brake pedal. It'll apply some force but mainly it's just turning off the creep so using it shouldn't be a problem.

I almost never change modes while driving. I drive in ECO for the fine control but I have put it in PWR the odd time knowing I needed quick acceleration from a stop and it would get me out just a little faster.

1 person likes this.
  10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just drive it as you would any 'normal' automatic. I keep mine in D (Drive) all the time when at lights, well unless I'm going to be stood for ages where I'll press P (Park).

The hill start function is great. Just press the brake hard when stationary and as said by earlier posters the car will double beep and the traction control light flashes. It will continue flashing as long as you hold your foot on the brake to remind you hill start assist is still on and then as soon as you let your foot off the brake you have time to press the accelerator and go.

The different functions are quite useful. I use Eco in town, normal for A roads and motorways and Power for overtaking, pulling out of junctions fast or on motorway slip roads. It's personal choice and you'll enjoy experimenting with them. The car does shift when in Power mode and does surprise other drivers who think the Prius is a snail.

Oh and yes, you can switch between the different modes when driving - I do it many times a day. And prepare to enjoy the fuel savings :)

1 person likes this.
  11. hyphz

hyphz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for everyone's help!

GrumpyCabbie, how long did it take to train your hand to press the mode buttons while watching the road?

Oh, and one other thing.. can IPA get you into a garage?

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dead easy - I glance down! :rolleyes:

Or if it's heavy traffic I find the hazard light button with my left hand and then work my fingers upto the three buttons. I will pretty much always use Power for overtaking as it makes it effortless.

13. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    sorry to come in late..

1. sorry don't quite understand the question.

Stopping is use the brake pedal.

remaining stopped on non-flat road, is a combination of the transmission 'park' position and the emergency brake if you think u need it in addition.

unless there is another definition of 'unlevel' I'm not aware of.

2. IPA , don't have
    3. Hill Start Assist you've heard about already.

I never adjust the buttons. I just drive.. step on the pedal to go, the other one to stop. don't have much city driving, or parking lot that would justify EV mode. did try it last week in bumper to bumper traffic, uphill, lasted only 1/4 mile til battery exhausted.. not very useful.

Sam

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At a stop, the Prius is no different from a regular car. The brake pads are holding the car. Given that under normal driving, you rarely use the brakes except under 11km/h, brake wear will be the least of your concern (currently at 130,000km on the 2005 model with 75% brake pad life left, mostly city driving).

Also, it is using a slightly different mechanism in that the brake is by-wire (Brake-By-Wire or according to the brochure - Electronically Controlled Brake ECB). A computer activates the brake pads. Come to think of it, a computer controls the brakes, accelerator and shifter. The only thing that's mechanically connected is the steering wheel.

Not really but I do some time if I anticipate a short dash across the street or I'm merging onto the motorway and there's a smaller than usual gap or a shorter ramp and I need to match their speed more quickly.

I would wait for the Safety Pack. I have it (called Technology Package in Canada and Advanced Technology Package in the US) and I love DRCC.

1. Just use the brakes. If you're worried about rolling back, you can either use the footbrake or what I do is use two feet braking - Once I come to a stop, I shift my right foot a tad to the right so that my left foot can hold the brake as well. Then when the light goes green, I move my left feet over and press the accelerator as I slowly release the brake pedal with my left foot... kinda like releasing a clutch with a manual.

Of course all of this is moot cause you can use the Hill Start Assist in the new Prius. Just press the brake pedal all the way down pass the denté when you come to a stop. The Slip Indicator will flash and you will hear one beep.

2. From time to time, yes. Unfortunately, I look at the camera when using IPA... not a good habit. I look out the back under normal circumstances. You should really be looking around and use the camera as a supplement.

3. See 1.