1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Key Fob locked in car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, May 14, 2014.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I promised myself not to post anymore for awhile....but...

A friend texted me this morning and said this is the second time she has locked her smart key fob in her Prius. And, as I do, she thought this was impossible.

I told her to check that the light on the fob lights when she presses it to make sure the battery is O.K., but have not heard back from her.

Anyway, I did a bit of web looking and found John's always helpful PDF of information, and he talks about a smart button under the steering wheel (I have not looked for it yet), but, is there anything else I should tell her to check...to be honest, although I would never tell her this -- locking the fob in the car is a REAL dumb blonde move.:ROFLMAO:

Oh, I guess I should add her boyfriend rescued her with the spare, so no need to talk about breaking out windows or anything...

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What you are describing is impossible if the battery is in good working order. If the battery is dead, then it's possible.

Also there is an SKS button under the steering wheel, if that's turned off, it MIGHT be possible to lock the key in the car. Wanna try and see?

cyberpriusII likes this.
  3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    John's info said if the fob battery is really low, that some strange things might happen. But in that case the light should not light up when the buttons are pushed. Mine are fine, so I can't experiment with that low fob battery issue.

However, JC, I think you are more qualified for the experiment with the SKS button. Give it a shot (have your cell phone with you) and let us know what you find out....:p J/K
    Kris

dorunron likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll test in an hour when my car gets back, will let you know. Someone took mine :mad:

dorunron likes this.
  5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the car cannot detect the fob (when the battery is low or dead), it won't know it's in the car. So in theory, it can be locked inside when this scenario happens.

dorunron likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, there are some radio dead spots inside where the car cannot detect the presence of the fob, so can be fooled into believing the fob is not present.

But a weak battery might contribute to this, expanding the size of the dead spots.

dorunron likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is good to know, isn't Priuschat great? I wasn't aware there are dead spots in the car. I guess it's like having the keyfob in a purse made with a foil lining.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok, you CAN lock the key in the car with the SKS function turned off. It won't detect the key inside.

ijim2011 and dorunron like this.
  9. ijim2011

ijim2011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. Glad I leave it on then

iPhone ?