1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Latest Software Update Safety Recall Resulting in 8mpg less...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ravencr, Apr 13, 2014.

1. ravencr

ravencr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just took my 2010 Prius in for the latest software update for Motor Generator ECU and Power Management ECU, and now I'm getting a consistent 8-10mpg less fuel economy. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm only getting 33-35mpg when I was getting 43-45mpg consistently since I've owned the car.

Chris

WE0H likes this.
  2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You might want to check your air pressure. Those rascals love to reset it to factory standards. Seem to recall a post similar to yours a few days ago in the Gen III section about the latest recall. They did our Gen III before I bought it. Average high 40's and still breaking it in.

Ron (dorunron)

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. ravencr

ravencr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's definitely not the tire pressure...checked that already, unfortunately.

Chris

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you figure out what is going on, please post what you learned. That way the whole community can benefit from your research.

Sorry to hear the air pressure wasn't it. 10 MPG drop is nothing to laugh about. Have you considered discussing this with your local Toyota representative?

Who has done their recall? | Page 6 | PriusChat Read that page, one of the poster who a 2010 is also saying he is having a drop in MPG.

Ron

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It's possible (though not necessary) that they disconnected the 12V battery to do the update, in which case the car may need to "re-learn" your driving habits. Did you have to reset your radio presets?

6. ravencr

ravencr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, I did have to reset the radio stations. It's been a few weeks and thousands of miles already.

Chris

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The first step is to measure your Prius mileage on a 10 mile course, warmed up, on cruise control:
    [​IMG]

If your car has a problem, how does it compare to my baseline?

Bob Wilson

8. ravencr

ravencr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't know Bob. I've never tested it like that. All I know is that since the safety recall was performed, it's dropped 8-10mpg average, which is ridiculous. The only reason I drive this car is for the gas mileage, and I can drive a lot nicer car than a Prius that gets gas mileage in the low 30's, not to mention the fact it's rated at over 50mpg.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would take it back and ask the to reverse it. i don't think this 'update' is worthwhile anyway. if you have to, reset your trip average and make the service manager take a ride with you. all the best!(y)

WE0H and dorunron like this.
  10. ravencr

ravencr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm thinking the same thing but for some reason I doubt they will considering it is considered a safety recall.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i thought it was to prevent premature inverter failure due to high speed/high acceleration?

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check the parking brake. :)

13. ravencr

ravencr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the parking brake was on the light would be on :)

14. Stratman

Stratman Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine had the update when I bought it new last month. I have gotten between 51 and 54 mpg with the first 3 tanks. Just filled it up and have around 1600 total miles. I would take it in and have Toyota check it over.

dorunron likes this.
  15. ravencr

ravencr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will probably end up having to do that.

Chris

16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also agree that you really need to take your Prius in and have it checked out. I too own a Gen III which has had the EOE recall done on it. I am still breaking it in as it has less than 800 miles on it. My overall average which includes a high speed trip of 240 miles driving at posted limits of 75 miles per hour is plainly shown below at 46.9 MPG. With that said, it seems that your Prius is indeed not operating properly and should be checked out by a Toyota representative.

33 - 35 Miles Per Gallon is way off of what a Prius should deliver. Until you get it checked out, you won't know exactly what happened and why the Prius is operating the way it currently is.

I would venture to guess that the computer that maintains the air/fuel ratio is running the ICE on a rich mix at all times, and that the VTC is probably out of whack too. It is possible that there might have been a glitch with a computer during the update of your car.

There have been a couple of post's of the EOE recall gone bad whereas the computer malfunctioned that was connected to the Prius and actually wiped out (crashed) it's corresponding computer or ECU on the Prius that was being updated. Since we deal with a machine that is controlled by several computers, it is logical to think that something is amiss in all of this.

Only through close diagnostics will Toyota be able to determine exactly where the problems lies. I suspect that if they simply re flashed the system, all would be well. In other words, do the recall procedure twice. Computers are a wonderful tool, however the programming is critical. One wrong bit or byte, and the whole thing is not working like it should.

Ron (dorunron)

BluetoothEdsel likes this.
  17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Someone in the know posted previously that the recall consists of two separate flashes. The first flash has to be completed before starting the second flash. Perhaps this wasn't done correctly on your Prius?

SCH-I535

dorunron likes this.
  18. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Repeating the benchmark determines if there is a problem with the car. Only two speeds are needed, one slower than 45 mph and one above. Below 45 mph lets us know if there is a hybrid control law problem. Above 45 mph lets us understand if there is an engine or drive train problem.

Bob Wilson

F8L, WE0H and dorunron like this.
  19. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They supposedly did mine when I went in for my 10000 mile service last month and I don't notice any difference. I wonder if they really did it since I was in and out in about 45 minutes. How would I really know if they didn't do it but said they did. Oh well, still runs fine so I'm not too concerned as long as I don't get stranded some remote place at a bad time. Sorry you're having problems and hope you get it figured out.

dorunron likes this.
  20. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even though I can say...I've had the update and this hasn't happened to me, I'm going to refrain from harping on this reality.

I would speculate however that Toyota is HIGHLY aware of the importance of fuel economy and the MPG of The Prius, and I doubt they would launch a software update that would impact their halo hybrid and iconic brand leader "Prius" by reducing the MPG by 10. The outcry and negative publicity would kill them.

So going back and just saying that your results do not seem typical for the majority that have had the update done, then I would assume something went wrong.

Have you noticed any other behavioral changes in the vehicle?

As already noted..there have been some threads where the update evidently went wrong. I'd recommend at least starting the documentation with your dealership and Toyota in regards to you MPG drop.

dorunron, csp1971 and Jeffrey Jessup like this.