1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Leaf vs Prius general features

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by Skoorbmax, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was a bit of a naughty boy recently and when I came upon Nissan's lease rates last month I pulled the trigger on a Leaf SV. There are lots of reviews, comparisons, etc. online. What I doubt there are many of, though, are the vague, personal, weird comparisons. This isn't gas vs electric, cost, etc., but the small quirks. And so that is where I'll begin, pointing out some of the minutiae; the day to day differences between a 2010 Prius and a 2012 Leaf. I may update this post as I remember more in the future:

Ways in which the Leaf is better
    • The trunk lifters are strong enough to lift it all the way up itself (my prius never could, even from day one)
    • Can tell which door/hatch is open, with a specific diagram of each location
    • Boots up faster. I am merciless on my start-up process, always looking to tweak it and make it quicker, from time I open the door to time I'm driving (I've never met a person faster!). The Prius, when you hit power, won't go into gear for a few seconds. The Leaf is quicker. I'd say no more than two seconds max and it's ready to drive (you can short-cut the "boot up sequence" if you put it into gear)
    • No annoying back-up beep
    • No annoying seat belt isn't on beep
    • More supportive seat for lower back
    • AC is more powerful (can't comment on heat yet)
    • The regen/power bar is always shown (there are actually two, but one is always shown regardless)
    Ways in which the Prius is better
    • Don't need to OK or Cancel each time on the dash when you start the car for the Carwings telematics
    • The front cup-holder is in a better location, though the back one (the one under the arm rest) is in a worse location; the Leaf has two in a so-so location, but as far as driver is concerned the Prius' location is better
    • Better shifter. Functions basically exactly the same as the leaf, but it's a small easy to grab joystick in stead of a puck that more or less to be "palmed"
    • Has a spare tire
    • Lights can be left on. Though my Prius had no auto option, I would just leave lights on all the time and they'd turn off. The Leaf doesn't appear to have this option, instead I need to manually turn on and off
    • All four windows are auto up/down, a rare glut of automation in window openers. Leaf has only the driver's window auto up and down.
    • Though the Leaf has a "trip" function for mileage, like the Prius did, somebody somewhere thought it a bad idea (they're wrong) to not include miles driven in last trip, so the previous trip graph appears not to have any mileage associated with it. I also miss the "last 5 minutes" bars on the Prius, I really enjoyed those

wjtracy likes this.
  2. essaunders

essaunders Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good comparison.

My additions:

The SL leaf has auto lights (and backup camera, quick charge etc...)
    The leaf's backup beep is outside.

I think the trunk of the Prius (I have an '07) is more useful as it is 'flat'. Nissan does have an trunk organizer but it isn't, I think, as clean (nor standard) as the Prius.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The trunk capacity is certainly better on the Prius. I know it will hold two full-sized suitcases and I am doubtful that the Leaf can. It's still technically a mid-size (and its ceiling interior height is fantastic at the front in particular), but its back seats are smaller than the Prius and overall capacity seems a bit lower.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats scoob, enjoy the ev driving and please keep us posted. all the best!

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, wasn't Nissan originally saying it was a compact, but the EPA called it mid sized?

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hahha about being naughty. I plan to lease a Leaf as a 2nd car, but haven't yet. Long story.

From what I understand, the heater in the Leaf sucks and is slow to heat up. You might need to get a cigarette lighter powered resistive heater.

As for spares, people have been buying Altima spares from junkyards. That's surprising that the Gen 3 Prius has all 4 windows being auto up/down. I just learned that now. My Gen 2, IIRC is only auto up/down on the driver's side window.

If you haven't yet, do join mynissanleaf.com!

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My '04 Prius with Nav was just totaled so I have to replace it. I have long said there was NO car on the market that I would drive in place my Gen II. Not a $10K car, not a $250K car and not even if if it were given to me free. Sadly, 8 years almost to the day that I drove it home, that is still true.

I have been watching the Leaf. If I have to give up anything I love in my Gen II, I need to get more in return. But the charger in the 2011-2012 Leaf is too small. I hear RUMORS that the charger in the 2013 will be bigger, such that you can charge in 8 hours without having to pay an electrician to hard wire a charging station that doesn't do anything that needs to be done but will add an additional $2K on an already expensive car. Nissan isn't talking about what will be in the 2013 nor when they will be released. So the timing is really bad. I hope your Leaf works out for you, most people that have them seem pretty happy AFAIK from the web. Hopefully the reported battery problems turn out to be limited to a relatively few cars.

8. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2013 MAY have a larger battery and it might have a 6.6 kWh charger. My SV doesn't even have a QC port. The fastest I can therefore charge is standard 240V, but I'm not bothering even with that. I'm doing the trickle charge 120 V at 4-5 miles/hour charge. This is fine, because I sleep at night and the car charges, so it's presented no issues so far.

You can go a cheaper route if you want faster charging. There is a company that's making changes to the stock cable to allow faster charging and I'm not even sure you need to get a 240V installed in garage all the time. Apparently some sockets that are at 120v can run serially or something (I've not looked into it).

If you're at all serious about a Leaf, you buy it now and don't wait. I'd never have paid for this car what it cost even three months ago, but many people are currently leasing these for 24 months at around $250/month out of pocket all said and done, including all fees. You cannot beat that, and with this car going more than 100 miles on the cost of what is currently a gallon of gas for me it's cheap as heck to run. I am indeed going 1000 miles/month at about $40.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, a bigger charger in the car means that you pretty much will need an EVSE to be installed at home. The charger in the '11-'12 Leaf is 3.3 kw. The '13 should have a 6.6 kw (either optional or standard).

Currently, you can upgrade the included EVSE (brick) via EVSE Upgrade - Products (run by pEEf) to charge more quickly at home w/o an expensive permanently installed EVSE. The limiting factor is the output of the EVSE. If you hook this up to a car w/a bigger than 3.3 kW charger, it won't charge any faster.

10. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Going back to the OP's topic (differences between Leaf and Prius), I understand the Leaf has much less maintenance to do -- no transaxle fluid, no motor oil (of course), etc.

The Prius is already very low maintenance, but from what I understand, the Leaf is even more so....

11. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've looked at that setup, IF you have two 110V outlets near each other on SEPARATE circuits, it comes as a 'Y' type plug. Plug one into one outlet, the other into the second. Pretty slick way to get 240V without a lot of electrician cost. But, most places are wired 1 circuit for a room or two or three. In my prior house, we ran 12/3 wire everywhere and every other outlet pair was on the black hot and the next was on the red. That way if you trip one breaker, you still have power (and light if lamps are plugged in) in the room. AND you can have a couple of larger draw loads close to each other without worrying about over loading the circuit. Cheap to do if you are rehabbing a house and do the work yourself.

12. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    RATS! IF I were to get a Leaf, I was already planning to ship pEEf my brick for that upgrade. Maybe they will come up with a cost effective product to pump 6.6A without the $2K "charging station". I have easy access to a service panel in the barn, I can put in any size Amp breaker needed to provide the 6.6A. I had to mess with it last weekend. The jackass I bought the place from didn't ground the outlets (which is illegal if you don't mark them as ungrounded). Not only did he not ground them, he cut the ground wire off of the wire going from the box right over the panel to the downstream outlets.

13. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is a nice way to do it. My garage does have two distinct circuits, but one is down line of a GFCI and keeps tripping even with no load but the Leaf, so either it's a bad GFCI or who knows.

If I keep the Leaf and/or get another plug-in vehicle like a PiP or something I'll probably have to bite the bullet and get a proper 240V installed in the garage.

14. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    All your outlets in your garage should be GFCI to be up to code.

The Y-cable trick will only work if the two outlets are not only separate circuits, but they also happen to be opposite phase. This may or may not be the case depending on where the breakers are in your service panel.

15. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Keep in mind that amperage and Kwh are very different. 6.6 Kwh is, at 230 volts, 29 amps, not 6.6. This will require a 40 amp circuit using at least 8ga wiring.

16. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well it appears I have one garage circuit on GFCI with the typical level circuits, but I have one additional circuit that runs the lights and has a single outlet in the ceiling for garage opener--this one I don't think is GFCI protected.

17. pjc

pjc Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    That is probably okay since it is on the ceiling. I have one like that, too, and I don't think it is GFCI, either. I'm not an electrician, though.

Only if you want to charge up in exactly 1 hour. kWh is a measure of energy = V x A x hrs. That is, you can charge a 6.6 kWh battery at 10A, 120V, it will just take 5.5 hours. Of course, you also have to match the battery voltage (that's the charger's job).

18. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  19. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  20. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Down line from an "in the wall" GFCI outlet? Those are notorious for tripping on anything. I have 2 in my house that will trip if I turn on, then immediately off (because I meant to hit the light switch), the upstream ceiling fans. Replace the breaker in the service panel with a GFCI breaker. I have 3 of those. One for the whirlpool tub, one for the garbage disposal and one for the outside outlet I use for my block heater. They are definitely more expensive but easy to put in and shouldn't trip on quick load. WAY cheaper than a $2000 "charging station".

Bruce