1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Light scratches on dash - how to remove

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PixelRogue, Jul 18, 2010.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone.

I places a few 'innocent' pieces of long plastic in my Prius (2010) and the light pieces of plastic scratched up the dash. Scratches do not appear to be deep, however whatever type of plastic the dash is made from doesn't seem to want to rub out.

Thoughts?

2. pixelmixer

pixelmixer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've got the same issue. It appears the texture of some of the interior plastics react this way upon light abrasion, and I would also like to hear of a "fix." These scratches are very apparent where you put your fingers to open the center console lid. (fingernails)

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If only there was a sub-forum for care, maintenance & troubleshooting. Oh, yeah, there is. ;)

4. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have always used Brasso to remove scratches in plastic watch crystals. I also discovered that it is very good at removing scratches in other hard plastics. I used it to clean up the bakelite in an old telephone.

5. erikl

erikl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For very shallow surface scuffs on the dash plastic, I used plain chapstick with good results. Rub the chapstick in vertically, in the same direction as the textured streaky things. It basically moisturized the scuff and eliminated the whitish edge, if that makes sense.

Even better than chapstick would be something waxier, approaching a crayon but with a little extra moisture...

6. passionate1

passionate1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Rent a new Prius and R&R the Plastic thingy!...lol

7. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have the same concern with light scratches on the interior surfaces of my Prius. I finally decided that the best way to deal with these tiny flaws is ignore them. AHhhhh...; that feels better.

8. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've seen suggestions to use a hairdryer to lightly warm the area of scratches. Has anyone tried this?

By the way, I know some people have criticized the plastic in Prii, but I like the concept of using non-oil based plastics. I can live with a few scratches if it isn't made from oil.

9. xlricklx

xlricklx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So did any of these work?

10. Skiesthelimit

Skiesthelimit New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I needed to carry some 10ft gutters and PVC pipes so I put them on top of the dash to hall home. Ended with several scratches on the top that would not rub out.
    For light scratches that cannot be rubbed out, I used Dark Grey Rust-Oleum Automobile Primer. Spray a little into a jar, add a tint of black enamel, mix and apply using a small brush or toothpick. Let it dry for a few hours, then rub it to blend the texture into the surrounding. The primer is a flat finish that seems to match the color and sheen of the dash. Important Note: if you have already applied a silicone based finish to the dash, the paint will not hold.