1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

List of independent shops handling hybrids

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Sep 2, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I was trying to reach good Prius friend Hobbit because I knew he knew more folks doing car repair when I came across this article:

Preferred Independent Hybrid Car Repair and Service Shops | Hybrid Cars

Sometimes you're lucky.

Bob Wilson

ps. Please share with other groups and forums.

2. jk450

jk450 New Member

To put it mildly, this doesn't pass the smell test. True industry qualification and/or certification is typically conducted in one of two ways: (a) an independent, non-profit organization develops a certification process that is vetted by industry experts, and (b) an organization (say, an automaker) develops its own certification process for internal use only. In this case, however, a hybrid blogging website (no, I'm not kidding) has partnered with a private trainer to offer "qualification" of technicians who sign up for that person's training.

While hybrid vehicle manufacturers typically offer, as mentioned, their own internal training and certification programs, no industry-accepted hybrid certification for automotive technicians currently exists. As the technology is relatively new, this is not surprising. The organization that develops such certification and conducts testing is the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE | Home), often referred to as ASE.

Note that ASE does not offer training; as an independent certifying body, they are obliged not to. However, the partnership that bwilson4web has recommended does offer training. For just $3000, you can attend one of their classes, pass a fifty-question test, and after meeting some external qualifications, you too can be a Master Hybrid Auto Tech.

At this point, most folks in the industry would be rolling their eyes, but it gets better. Let's say that you have been working on hybrids for the last ten years, and have an exceptional range of experience diagnosing and repairing such vehicles. Sorry, you don't "qualify" - that is, until you pay for this special training.

Don't have three grand? Don't have a lot of time? No problem. Take an eight-hour class from the same instructor, pass the test and the external qualifications, and presto, you're a Qualified Hybrid Auto Tech (QHAT). Oh, and don't forget to send the trainer 200 bucks every year.

Sometimes you are. Unfortunately, this is not one of those times.

The error is common. Recently, a forum member asserted that he was "certified" to work on hybrids. As stated above, no such certification exists outside of dealership programs. Upon inquiry, it turned out that the individual had attended a community college certificate program. A check of the school's website showed that a twenty-hour hybrid training class was offered for $299.

Depending on the quality of the training, such a class might be a good way for a working professional technician to get his or her feet wet, but that's about it. Certified? No way.

See above. Not everything you read on the internet is true.

1 person likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I also thought this sounded like a ripoff, and am glad that jk put into writing my thoughts.

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Gosh Patrick,

Ordinarily, a comment like this does not justify a reply:
    Humm, "ripoff?" No, these independent shops sound more like 'fair and open competition.'

Independent shops have invested the time and money to achieve Prius expertise and they certainly receive my approval. Absent hard evidence to the contrary (perhaps a Better Business Report?,) independent shops have nothing to do with "ripoff" or theft any more than folks making similar, false claims against Toyota service centers.

I don't mind if folks distrust one and another as that is an ordinary freedom in our society. Capitalism works in part because we exercise 'due dilligence' as we makes our choices and act upon them. But casual use of "ripoff" without specifics (who, what, when and where) is a poor practice best left to others.

Bob Wilson

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

I have no problem with independent shops servicing hybrids and providing much-needed competition to dealer service. My use of the word "ripoff" is with respect to the certification process described in the article that your OP referred to.

"Other shops are welcome to contact Craig, so he can verify that they've got the right stuff." I am not aware that Craig Van Batenburg or HybridCars.com possess special expertise that would allow the awarded certification to have any value.

Who empowered Craig with the right to award these certifications? Did Toyota, or Honda, or Ford, with respect to their hybrid vehicles?

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Understood. Craig is a stranger to me too so I'm depending upon HybridCars.com to vouch for his expertise. It might be interesting to contact Craig and see if he might visit and comment:

http://www.auto-careers.org/

At the time, I was actually trying to reach good Prius friend Hobbit because of the work he has done in the past. But we recently learned he'd been on a '9,000 mile' summer drive-about. When I stumbled across the list and spot checked and found Arts, Lucisious, and David Tayor, I knew at least three of the better shows were well represented. AutoBeYours is not there but it isn't clear they do repairs or just rebuilds. Still, finding a quality shop and knowing they are still in that line of work is a troubling problem.

I'm thinking of Gallexee's DH who left auto repair to do medical system repairs. From the stories I've gathered, I fully understand the decision and the advantage of the career change. For example, I didn't realize mechanics are treated as 'independent contractors' in shops with work rules that would discourage all but the most dedicated.

I don't know the other shops beyond the three mentioned but certainly if anyone has experience, some actual interactions, that show a problem, bring it up.

Bob Wilson

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This has turned out to be more productive than expected!

Craig offers an 11 course,"Hybrid 101" and I just signed up for "What Makes a Hybrid different from a conventional car? An Overview." At $49, it is like shipping coals to Newcastle but it will also give me some hard, hands-on data with Craig's service. So we'll see what happens.

Auto-Careers.org: Hybrid Training Resources Since 2000

For good measure, I'll introduce myself and this forum. Craig may decide to chat with us.

Bob Wilson

8. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had similar thoughts when I saw this. It's kind of like asking the Dean of Harvard Business School to certify MBA grads to be CEO's. Or asking the football coach at Texas which school produces NFL material players.

He's likely to have a bias....

I've not met Craig nor do I infer in any way that he has such a bias.

JK450 said it well. Certification and Fee based training for the same subject matter are generally NOT optimal when they come from the same entity.

Interesting bigger picture issue, however. Increasingly Hybrid cars are needing out of warranty repairs and dealers are variable with regard to pricing and capability.

There's a growing, unmet need for qualified independent hybrid service shops.

Its interesting. Nationwide, there's not much training available. I am told that enrollment in such training is low as well.

Eric
    Adopt A Part

9. jk450

jk450 New Member

Why set the bar so low? I see nothing to suggest that HybridCars.com would be able to validate the quality of the individual's "services".

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This is one of the reasons the technically skilled are here and at "Prius Technical Stuff."

I know there are a few, 'gray market' re-builders who take auction cars and bring them back to life. Then there are variably skilled individuals who come here and some of them . . . well you know they aren't quite there but it would also be unethical to keep them 'in the dark.' So the good folks here help them as best they can and that makes it worthwhile. Over the years, Patrick has been very helpful and Doug Schaffer. Others have come and gone over the years but mostly it has been rewarding to see folks who live by the motto:
    Regardless, I spoke with Theresa, not Craig yet, and if she is representative, I think we're going to get along well.

Bob Wilson

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anybody who has had their Prius serviced at a Toyota dealer has experienced "Certified" service. Most of the time the result is good, but the certification is hardly a guarantee of the result. Just how many times has the "Certified" dealer told owners that the backup beeper cannot be changed? How much education does it take to know about a simple parameter change that is documented in the owner's manual?

A list of service shops willing to work on a Prius is a major improvement in the current situation. Actually knowing what to do is just icing on the cake.

2 people like this.
  12. robbyr2

robbyr2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since it's a lot further away than the dealer, I probably won't be going to Slipstream Automotive in Boulder any time soon, they are BBB-certified with an A+ rating. They say they know hybrids and electrics, and their courtesy vehicles are hybrids and electrics. And it is Boulder...

13. freidawg

freidawg Prius Recycler

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to soap box here a little bit. (uninvited perhaps, but I'll take the liberty anyway).

First I love the quote "You are either part of the solution or part of the problem" I have used that quote for years..

The pioneers who have analyzed these cars and brought their considerable expertise, time and money to bear on documenting the knowledge base have done a great service.

As the volume of needed out of warranty repairs increases the challenge (and opportunity) is, who will provide this service? (Nationally, in small markets as well as large).

The whole yap about certification is not unique to Hybrid cars. It runs rampant in circles devoted to premium brands and exotics. (ask a hard core Porsche purist if an ASE certified mechanic is qualified to work on his GT2).

Some of the best technicians I have ever seen in action have no certificates on the wall, but loads of experience and instinct.

In reality, the all repair shops are measured by their call back rate and their customers satisfaction. Good technicians have sound training and EXPERIENCE with the specific vehicle and technologies. The best technicians have all that, good logical reasoning skills and discipline.

The challenge we are facing with Hybrid cars is the EXPERIENCE. While the cars go back 10 yrs or so, the financial incentive has not been there for the independent shop to make the investment until recently (except perhaps in a few highly concentrated markets).

Interestingly the majority of established independent shops still don't appear to be embracing hybrids.

I have made a few calls on independent shops in my market to see who's working on Hybrids and found few interested parties. Current business conditions, fear of the danger involved and unwillingness to have to learn an entire new system seem to be the main reasons.

There's also a weird political angle that comes up on occasion. Sort of an "If Al Gore says its good it must be bad" kind of thing. I just want to say "Its a car, not a party affiliation". Whatever, not gonna do much about that one I guess...

Its discouraging to see posts or hear people say "This car is no longer worth fixing, it has 120K miles on it and the dealer told me $3000 to fix it". When it could be put back on the road for several more years for $1000 or less. I'd buy every one of these cars, except that they are distributed around the country. I buy every one I can here in the Denver/Colorado market.

When I do find an independent shop that has an interest in servicing Hybrids, I encourage them as much as I can. I offer demo's of tools, access to expertise (my own which I seek to increase daily), demo's of the car and its systems, offer what I know about available training etc. I have even loaned a broken car or a broken transaxle to a shop so they can get started with it.

I am motivated to do this for two reasons (one self serving and one more altruistic).

The self serving reason is: I am in the parts business and I have an increasing specialization in Hybrid cars. The more shops that work on them the more customers I have. Hybrids are a small percentage of my volume at this point, but its growing fast. Hey, this is how I feed my family..

The more altruistic reason is: These cars were designed to conserve resources, operate efficiently and reduce tailpipe emissions. Its a damn shame if they are retired prematurely because no one will work on them or they are unnecessarily too expensive to fix or the only shop that will work on them is 500 miles away. Many owners of such prematurely retired vehicles will not buy another hybrid as a result.

The Hybrid vehicle service training that is out there is a great start. If the school that offers it provides a certificate with it, OK fine.

I, for one, wish more qualified technicians would take the training and embrace the technology. That way they can begin to build their experience base. Not just in LA or San Francisco but in Laramie or Lubbock or St. George or Fresno or Billings or Fargo. Well you get the picture... When they do, I would hope that those who have more experience would share it and support that learning. There are more than a million of these cars on the road, a few shops in highly concentrated markets on the east and west coast can't fix them all.

OK, sorry for the rant.

Eric
    Adopt A Part

PS: Maybe some day I'll share my rant about the mindset that "only brand new, freshly manufactured, imported, shipped from overseas parts are good enough for my greenhouse gas reducing, eco-friendly hybrid car."

2 people like this.
  14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    REVIEW: Online Hybrid 101 Part 2 "What Makes a Hybrid different from a conventional car? An Overview"

One of the best ways to find out if somebody is worth listening to is to listen to them, to try their stuff, and see if it is credible. So I paid $50 to take 'Hybrid 101, Part 2" and don't regret a single penny. I've spent more and gotten less and throughly endorse this lesson and the whole of this training course to anyone planning to go into the hybrid business.

CONTENT AND PRESENTATION

The first part of this eleven part series deals with safety, "Who makes Hybrids? Safety and Equipment Needed." Since apparently this first session ran over, the second session workbook did not include the relevant slides for the first 10 minutes(*). Still, the discussion of safety aspects of hybrids was terribly relevant. For example, he discussed the NHW20 thermos bottle which I did not know would activate on its own to maintain cylinder head temperature and the periodic, unpredictable brake system activation of the Ford Escape. These are scalding and finger crushing hazards and the $50 fee compared to a hospital visit and medical absence, is well worth every bit paid.

The course outline is well organized and broadly covers different hybrid systems and characteristics without going down a technical 'rat hole.' So I gained insights about the Honda IMA, GM two mode and BAS systems, Prius NHW20, and even BMW without having to travel and living expense for the hands-on, "Up Your Voltage" week long session.

The production values could be better as there was the continuation of the first session and some audio cutouts. But to its credit, this was obviously a recording of a live session. Compared to 'studio' presentations, I prefer recorded talks that avoid artificial and stilted styles that can put one to sleep. The production values could be solved by doing two live sessions and editing the best into the recorded session and updating the workbook.

CONCLUSION

If someone wants to be a hybrid generalist, this class is the place to start. My interests are narrower, pretty much the two Prius we own and I have a $50, used NHW11 inverter pump next to my left elbow versus the $50 session. Still, I don't regret this class and may elect to try one of the "live" sessions. But online training requires high-speed bandwidth, say a WiFi hotspot and backup with a phone.

As for whether or not Craig's recommendations have any merit, yes they do! Good Prius friend Hobbit had participated in Craig's "Up Your Voltage" and this week-long, $3,000 session ups my interest. Having sampled Craig's training, I'm a fan.

Certifications are a funny thing as I've gotten some not worth the paper and ink wasted and others that were a money printing machine. Craig's training is in the 'money printing machine' class.

I respect his certifications,
    Bob Wilson

* - Curious there was over 5 minutes of 'dead air' at the end of this lesson with the screen frozen on a Honda IMA image. Hopefully the missing material will be covered in the next lesson.

1 person likes this.
  15. hybriddriveguy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My experience has been very good with Craig's training. As an independent, it is hard to find another source just to get familiar with all the hybrid makes and models coming through our shop every week.
    The $3000 class includes meals and accomodations for the 5 days and the classes get into some pretty involved hands on service and repairs. At one class I attended, my group was assigned the task of finding a way to exercise the 12 volt starter on a Civic hybrid that would be both faster and easy to do verses the procedure given by Honda. After 2 hours of studying manuals and diagrams, our group found a simple method that takes about 2 minutes with no special tools.
    His classes are no replacement for every day in the trenches experience, but it helps to prepare you to at least approach hybrid repair with, as Craig has said "knowing what you don't know".
    Craig and I as well as Carolyn from Luscious Garage recently worked with ASE on developing a Hybrid Certification program and it looks like it may be quite some time before ASE launches their program.
    Until they do, their needs to be a way for consumers to tell the difference between a trained hybrid tech and one that has no clue, before they have a bad experience. A certificate certainly helps.

Over the past year, I have acted as a consultant for several dealerships that were stuck on difficult diagnostics and although independant shops that specialize in hybrid repair are rare, it is also a very common occurance that the dealer techs are just as much in the dark with hybrids.
    One reason could be turnover in dealerships, or just the infrequency of having hybrid related repair issues in their service bays.

Either way their needs to be more educational opportunities out there and Craig certainly offers a wide range of services for those that are interested.

1 person likes this.
  16. jk450

jk450 New Member

A few observations:

The business you list in your posts appears to have a Denver Metro area phone number. I was able to find about half a dozen shops in your area which advertised hybrid service, after a short online search. I probably could have found more if I had been willing to spend more than a few minutes on the task.

The company you cite is not authorized to issue certifications of any kind. The "qualification" process is a marketing tool for training, and nothing more. Besides, how could you get a sense of someone's knowledge as a trainer from an introductory online class? To begin with, you'd have to have knowledge on the level of a trainer.

So you removed two bolts and flipped the IMA switch? With all due respect, this is something that is covered in introductory classes in — well, about two minutes. It's certainly not worth taking up two hours of time that a student, expecting an advanced hands-on class, has paid for. But if you feel that you learned a lot, then I suppose you got your money's worth.

17. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is a third group who fit in a gray area, salvage rebuilders and I don't mean AutoBeYours.

TomFreed was the first here but I know another NASA engineer who last summer was trying to rebuild NHW11s. I get the impression there are individuals, many working pretty close to the vest, who buy salvage Prius from auction and try to get them running again for resale. Please understand I applaud their effort and energy but like my friend the NASA engineer, I didn't feel quite right.

We've had a number of non-technical, Prius owners come with their Prius problems. I give them the same information as anyone else but sometimes I have this image of a relatively low wage person seeing a 'great Prius deal' only getting one that had been rebuilt from salvage or otherwise marginal repair.

I don't know how we can live in a free country and not have these things happen. It is a delicate balance so all we can do is know that God sees the smallest fallen sparrow and move on. We all have the right to be wrong. How boring it would be if we didn't.

Bob Wilson

18. hybriddriveguy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ha Ha, You are sooo funny. And BTW, I do not have to remove any bolts or throw any switches for the procedure.
    If you have a better program for training techs across all manufacturer lines that we can source, please offer it. Being negative about this one without offering an alternative is...well........?

1 person likes this.
  19. jk450

jk450 New Member

In what way?

Yes, there is often more than one way to accomplish that. On some vehicles, for example, you can pull a fuse. But you miss my point: if a procedure takes two minutes to accomplish, and you devise a method that takes one minute, that's a minimal improvement. I don't think it's worth two hours of class time.

Have you tried Google?

I think you are missing the point. My guess is that the OP posted without looking into the "information" being posted, and is defending the post to save face. But as more than one person quickly pointed out, the shop "qualification" process does not offer certification of any kind. Rather, it appears to be a mechanism to sell more training. Looks like it's working.

Frankly, I don't think competent, legitimate enterprises have to employ such tactics to sell their services. I also don't think that someone is qualified to work on hybrids after as little as eight hours of training.

Do you?

20. hybriddriveguy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I did search Google before taking the courses offered by ACDC and then chose to go with them. Maybe if we had some reviews or comments by individuals that have taken other courses, we would be able to compare apples to apples.
    In reality, the only people that can intelligently review any training company would be those that had taken the courses. I was speaking from first hand experience. To me, those are the only comments that carry any weight.

I think ASE is industry known and well respected for their certification processes. The fact they chose Craig from ACDC to help design their hybrid certification test places his training close to the top as far as ASE's research has discovered.

Bob Wilson is right.