1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lithium-ion batteries - The bubble bursts

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by usbseawolf2000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Global automotive Li-Ion battery production capacity is outstripping demand five-to-one as automakers refocus on hybrids and away from full electric vehicles,according to Dr. Menahem Anderman’s recently released xEV Industry Insider Report. Anderman is founder and chairman of the Advanced Automotive Battery Conference (AABC); the 13th annual conference is scheduled for February 2013 in Pasadena, California.
    The report notes that despite heavy subsidies by governments and automakers, 2012 EV sales are coming short of meeting many automakers’ sales and production plans. Conversely, those of HEVs are in line with plans. As a result, production plans for EVs and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) for the next 4-5 years are being slashed. Anderman projects a global EV/PHEV 2016 market at around 0.6% of anticipated 2016 new vehicle sales, leaving the over-invested battery industry in a trying environment.
    On the positive side, opportunities will emerge for HEV batteries, with battery design, size, and dollar value per vehicle varying considerably. Anderman says that multiple configurations of HEVs with various functionalities, voltages, power levels and energy-storage requirements are under development with potential for large vehicle sales volume later in the decade.
    In October, strategy consultancy Roland Berger updated its 2010 report on the Li-ion battery business in which it warned that only six to eight global players in rechargeable battery business would survive through to 2017. In the 2012 update, the consultancy reported that the process of consolidation across the Li-Ion battery market is progressing even faster than expected.

The tremendous hype around Li-Ion batteries has left us with a bubble. Government support and far too optimistic growth assumptions about electro mobility have led to major overcapacities. What is more, the ambitious drive to achieve economies of scale as fast as possible has triggered a fierce price war between the established market players in Asia and new players in the US.
    Source with more...

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm using an old IBM Thinkpad with a really crappy LiON battery.

Bob Wilson

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    will this be good for the consumer?

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    These are automotive grade batteries so I don't think we'll be able to use them in laptops or iPads.

I think it is a good news for us (short term) because the price will be lower. In the long term, progress may slow down because not a lot of investments can be made for next gen.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Is this guy just another self aggrandizing Art Spinella type? I could be wrong, but after looking over his web page it seems the OP's author quotes no other sources other than his self :

Press Room – Advanced Automotive Batteries

6. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

bad... Chapter 11's all around.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would caution that I'm not so sure GM and other 'engine committed' manufactures have turned over a new leaf. This could also be a bit of misinformation that emphasizes a weakness without weighing the actual market growth. Remember the 'Prius battery replacement problem' that included 'batteries in the land fills' and 'nickel to battery problems.'

It is not that they are lying as much as like the CNW 'Dust-to-Dust' report, such claims need independent sources.

Bob Wilson

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The article also cited rolandberger.us.

Dr. Anderman also spoke at SAE Battery and EV Conference so it should be peer reviewed.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Another source (KPMG) that indicates that HV and PHEV will be the focus for the near future.

In the 12 months since the last KPMG automotive survey, the optimism over electric cars has dampened considerably among automakers from TRIAD [Japan, Western Europe and North America] countries, the majority of whom now acknowledge that it will be well over 6 years before electric vehicles overtake ICE as the cleanest, most efficient technology.The trend is similar among respondents from the BRICs [Brazil, Russia, India and China]: in 2012 half believed ICE had up to 5 years left as the leader, yet this year they acknowledge it could be another 6 to 10 years before e-cars become more efficient.

These results show an increasing realization that the electric vehicle is not quite the savior many had hoped for. Although e-technology is still high on the agenda, respondents from the mature regions now place a greater faith in optimizing ICE technologies. Even in the BRICs, ICE downsizing has become a big deal.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gasoline's energy density is still many times higher than the best Li-Ion battery.

"Gasoline thus has about 100 times the energy density of a lithium-ion battery. This difference in energy density is partially mitigated by the very high efficiency of an electric motor in converting energy stored in the battery to making the car move: it is typically 60-80 percent efficient. The efficiency of an internal combustion engine in converting the energy stored in gasoline to making the car move is typically 15 percent (EPA 2012). With the ratio about 5, a battery with an energy storage density 1/5 of that of gasoline would have the same range as a gasoline-powered car. We are not even close to this at present."

The Back Page

Three years ago at a symposium on lithium-air batteries at IBM Almaden there was great optimism. The symposium “Scalable Energy Storage: Beyond Lithium Ion” had as a working message: “There are no fundamental scientific obstacles to creating batteries with ten times the energy content–for a given weight–of the best current batteries.”

Optimism had all but vanished this year at the fifth conference in the scalable-energy-storage series in Berkeley, California. The symposium announcement reads: “Although new electric vehicles with advanced lithium ion batteries are being introduced, further breakthroughs in scalable energy storage, beyond current state-of-the-art lithium ion batteries, are necessary before the full benefits of vehicle electrification can be realized.”

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea the hype of battery fueled the bubble.

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With BEVs and less so, PHEVs, it's one of those bittersweet type things, like, oh, cool, no tailpipe, zero emissions (how many people don't want zero emisions at tailpipe?) but ....

ewww, it's small, OMG! (Honda Fit) look at that price tag $36k (most are not even aware of $7.5k tax credit, they don't show that at car shows), and then....

what? 82 miles range? Is this some kind of joke?

Then 'they' mosey 15 feet over to a Honda Accord, 1/3 larger than the Fit, starts at $22,000 dollars, everyone knows they go 400 miles on tank of readily available gas which they can still afford.

If an EV arrived the size and refinement of a Honda Civic (sorry CODA), had 200 miles of EPA range (which can degrade to 75 or 80% in 8 years?) and cost $27,000 nicely equipped, even without tax credit, no compromise in interior room or trunk, then BEV might liftoff.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hate to say it, but the Ford C-Max Energi did not impress me at the auto show ...

the cargo area is severely decreased by the highly raised floor due to the massive battery. It's expensive and shows only 43 MPG in hybrid mode.

Prius Plug-in looks like a Much better package than Energi. I hope Energi sells, but I'd be surprised if it catches on.

Chevrolet had at least a couple Volts at the show for test drive yesterday, and the rep did a good job showing the car. It was a neat car, but little too small for me and of too expensive of course. I liked driving it though.

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, I was eyeing on C-MAX Energi until I saw the cargo floor. Only then, I realized how balanced PiP was and how ideal it was for my driving/charging pattern. After a few week, I went and bought a PiP.

15. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope we will be hearing from you on how you like the PiP, usb. Especially for those of us in the areas that PiPs have yet to reach.

16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It is kind of crazy and misleading this talk of bubbles bursting are.

1) Auto Lithium batteries in the US had sales more than triple. If the bubble burst, then sales would have decreased. Automotive lithium battery sales are projected to increase many times over the next decade.

2) When the various governments made loans and grants all the analysts assumed we would get to over capacity. There is some crazy talk about Nissan and LG not using their American factories. Its because they have just been built. Nissan just started their plant, LG still is shipping from Korea.

There are 2 losers that were predicted by just about every analyst.
    Ener1's plan to make city cars seemed like a huge long shot from the beginning. Nissan's projections for sales were wildly high to even the biggest EV supporters. In the US Nissan just won't staff the factory to produce more batteries than they need. It will have to take big losses on their factories in Europe and Japan where they are missing numbers by much more than America.

A123 had very good technology, but seemed to have bad management and manufacturing. The Karma repairs shot the last of its cash, and its poor bankruptcy made it sell itself to China Inc. Not much over capacity from A123, but a sad end to a government subsidized start up. The odds were against A123, but its demise was much quicker than many expected. That leaves the big unexpected loser, Panasonic. It has already written off at least $2B from its lithium business in Japan and China. It projected much higher sales. That hurts other Battery makes as Panasonic seems like they may deeply discount batteries for the next couple of years. This may help Toyota, Tesla, and Ford's plug-in cars as they buy batteries from Panasonic.

[email protected] likes this.
  17. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, the energy density issue needs to be improved with the Li-ion batteries. Range, lower costs, weights, reduced size all need to be addressed. This is an ongoing process, but needs to keep moving forward in order to make a dent in the ICE captivated markets.

DBCassidy

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There's a lot of stuff that needs to be improved, but cost would be enough right now to support volume sales, just by shifting a lot of hybrid to plug-in hybrid.

It would take a significant increase in density to add volume the other way, by adding a lot of high-capacity vehicles in commercial BEV.