1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Living together before you get married. Yay or nay...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Mar 3, 2010.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fox say nay.

Living Together First Can Spoil Marriage, Study Finds - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

For my skewed sample size, Did your parents do it? Did you do it? Will you care if your kids do it?

For my skewed sample of close friends in my generation, I have only one set of friends who did not live together. They have divorced. All my other friends/relatives in my generation cohabitated and 2 couples who lived in "sin" has gotten divorced(of about a dozen).

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My parents didn't (AFAIK), I did, I will encourage my children to. I think you've gotta test-drive the car before you're sure it'll suit you.

3 people like this.
  3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yhea thats better
    you never now it maybe have to be recalled:D

i also say yes.
    currently i dont even think about getting married..
    only troubles.. just life togheter and be nice.:)

4. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Test driving the car. That's an apt description. I also advise couples to travel together also. Stressful, enjoyable, new and foreign experiences reveal interesting behaviors not often seen at home.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, but it's also a bit artificial. My wife and I fell in love while traveling, but the realities of being home in our day to day life was more stressful and challenging. But you're right that we learned much about one another when traveling that we may not have as easily discovered at home.

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My parents did not live together (AFAIK). My wife and I did not live together before marriage and neither did any of my 4 brothers and sisters. My wife and I are the only ones of my and her siblings that are still together with their original spouse and celebrate our 35th anniversary this year. As another thread stated, we feel like we have broken the law of averages.

Of four kids, my two daughters chose to follow their Christian faith and were married before living with their husbands. My oldest son is living with his SO and her 7 year old daughter and are expecting their first child together in October. My youngest son and his wife chose to follow their faith to the point of remaining virgins until marriage and were just married this past December.

It will be interesting to see how each of these marriages/co-habitate work out.

7. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Few of our parents were likely to have lived togethor. It just wasn't done back then.
    I lived with my wife for a few years, had a short break, then after getting back togethor (and yes, travelling togethor harmoniously), we made the leap and have been married for 10 years.

Living togethor IMHO is a key trial to whether you can stay togethor and raise kids.
    I think those that don't are in the minority these days. Much like pre-marital sex was the norm and now has become a SMALL minority, I think co-habitation will become the norm as well. There is simply no better way for couples to sort through the skeletons in the closets that might not otherwise come up.

8. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My parents didn't...that would have been frowned upon in Catholic Ireland back in the 50s
    Myself and my now Wife did,

"If you want to know me....come live with me"

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife and I didn't.

But I have to ask, why get married when you can just live together? I suppose children become an issue but we have no plans for children so our marriage is more of a social norm than a necessity.

10. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My parents did not. I refused to live with my husband until marriage. Not to excited to see if my kids choose that path - I hope not. There are many reasons not to test drive anything. I say if you don't want a prius, why drive it to begin with?

BTW- not to start something but I am of the opinion that living together benefits the man while taking something away from the woman.

11. Vondutch

Vondutch New Member

This is such a great suggestion, I couldn't agree more.

As for living together? Heck yes.

12. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :nono: Oh my, only a man would ask such a question. My reply would be why have sex when you can just cuddle? :rofl:

In all honestly most women (not all) want to get married and will eventually get very tired of being with you if you are not willing to take that step. Marriage is about having a sense of security and a sense of consistancy. You can just live with anyone, you can only marry on person (at least one at a time in the US). It is a commitment that is not easily undone. Many women are just built to appreciate that kind of commitment. It makes a difference in how we feel about our relationships.

13. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For the financial and legal benefits for doing so.

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is for the reasons you just gave that I support same-sex marraige. If you remove gender from your reply and stay with the same since of commitment and personal obligation, it still works.

Oh yeah. I do enjoy those.

1 person likes this.
  15. halpos4

halpos4 "Taxi"!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well,you can have my kids Tony as a "loaner" to see if you want kids!!
    A 10yr old boy and a 6yr old girl [A gentleman's family]
    But beware..my 6yr old never shuts up..PM me for Shipping and Handling details:D

16. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I say definitely travel together preferably to a foreign country. The longer the better, before living together before getting married. A lot can be exposed about the other person, their behavior, how they handle a situation, how they treat others, their habits, and how they conduct themselves.

But,....., if you're not married yet, don't. Its expensive and a commitment that could tax your life. If you're married, try not to get divorced. Its expensive to regain your freedom.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tax benefits.

My mom and dad probably did not. He turned out to be intolerable, and she divorced him when I was one year old. I don't know if my mom lived with her second husband before marrying him. He turned out to be an alcoholic and she divorced him when I was 8. My mom lived with her third husband for many years and they only got married much later for the tax benefits.

I think a trial period is a good idea. You might think you want a Tesla Roadster, but without driving it first you'll never find out that the seats are uncomfortable. I think both parties benefit by knowing what they're getting into.

18. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I haven't gotten married to my GF, because if we had, I'd probably have divorced her by now. :madgrin:

Actually, I don't know if the vacation together is the best test of compatibility; we get along great during vacations, but get into fights over cleaning the house and other mundane stuff.

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why get married if you can't live together? Seriously, living together is not always easy and many times the extended contact time, need to share, compromise, adapt to habits, etc can be major challenges to a successful marriage.

I'm not saying every couple should be required to live together before marrying, but I think it is practical and smart to do so. Why date before you get married? Why even know each other? Some cultures operate that way and have successful marriages BECAUSE it is the culture to do so. Our country once had a culture that people did not live together before marriage, but out culture has evolved to a point that independent people want to be sure that they're making the right decision before marrying.

And, Tony, sometimes by living together they do decide not to marry...and that's OK too. But for others living together reinforces the decision to marry and you can go into the marriage with many of the first year issues already addressed...so you can have your own new first year issues!:eek:

20. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Excellent point, now lets get the lawmakers on board...