1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking for scanner to get Prius trouble codes (non-check engine light)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by srjacob, Mar 27, 2014.

1. srjacob

srjacob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius that is giving me trouble warning indications. One is a single orange (!). The second is the Red Brake, the ABS, the VSC, the orange (!) all at the same time. I have a Scangauge II, but it can't read or clear these codes (their tech support confirms this).

Does anyone know of a scanner that can read these non-check engine codes? I don't want to bring it to the dealer and spend $200 just to have them hook up their scanner.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

2. drmanny3

drmanny3 Member

I acquired this

for only about $8.00 shipped it is pretty cheap. This one requires a Bluetooth connection. I use a laptop. They are available in other formats. This one may not do ABS. Not sure
    Manny

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mini VCI (look on amazon.com)

Also, check your inverter coolant reservoir for fluid turbulence when the Prius is READY. If you don't see this, the inverter coolant pump has failed and that is the root cause of your car's problems.

4. srjacob

srjacob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do I find the inverter coolant reservoir?

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In some locations Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, etc. have scanners that can read Prius specific codes for free. You may want to try them if you see turbulence in inverter coolant reservoir.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    under the hood. the manual identifies it in a drawing.

7. srjacob

srjacob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bubbles in the inverter coolant tank.

Any other suggestions on a scanner?

8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The VCI as in Patrick's post is dealer level equipment at around $25 and for working on your Prius cannot be beaten. It will also work on any Toyota.

John (Britprius)

9. srjacob

srjacob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do I download Tech Stream?

Yosarian likes this.
  10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It comes with the VCI on a mini CD. It can also be downloaded on line.

John (Britprius)

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Techstream requires a pc, usually an older xp or win7. There are pros and cons. The sellers have hacked the Toyota software to run without a license. They require you to keep it offline. The obd2 interface suggested is hardwired.

Legal techstream is $65 for two days or $1295 a year. The official interface is an additional $250.

With that said, lots of mini vci interfaces and hacked software are bought. Other bluetooth tools will give the codes and perform the specialized calibrations if the brake actuator is replaced. XTool D8 is one example.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/staticcontent/en/techinfo/html/prelogin/docs/tsliteflyertinfo.pdf

Toyota - New Subscription

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For the Gen 2 Prius, we also have a thread that lists good non-Techstream options that can get you the information you need:

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

Also, the original post in this thread referred to the brake, ABS, VSC, and ((!)) dash lights. Those all indicate brake system codes, and brake system codes can be read by counting light blinks, after connecting a short jumper wire between the Tc and CG pins at the diagnostic port. (Other threads here have more details on doing that.)

Because that way you can get brake system codes the moment you need them, without having to have any special code reader at all, it is good to know how to do that.

13. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I mentioned the XTool D8 which is recommended by a Toyota Master mechanic on youtube (Car Care Nut channel).

The lower cost "Xtool Anyscan A30M" IOS or Android tool also has good reviews short of key reprogramming. I checked with their customer support regarding gen2 and gen3 Prius. They claim it handles advanced featues as described in their literature for the Prius.

Edit: Will be $172 on Prime Days July 12 and 13

#13 rjparker, Jul 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  14. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks interesting. A bit pricier than the Autel AP200 (no bidirectional stuff) or ThinkDiag (close to Techstream function but annual cost). BUT if it doesn't have subscription costs then it might be worth considering.

FYI Autel and ThinkDiag do "standard" immobilizer functions. I added a key to my 06 with each- both could do it but the language use on the ThinkDiag was really poor, which made the process difficult.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.