1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Looking to buy a 2007/2008. Need Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aubbus, Apr 21, 2010.

1. aubbus

aubbus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I am looking forward to buy a 2008 or 2009 Prius and I need your advice. I know for normal cars you look at certain stuff and say the car is ok before buying one. I am new to Hybrid. What are the stuffs I need to look out for when buying a used Prius?

1) Is it a better option to buy from a dealer than a private seller given that i am not sure how to validate or test battery and all those stuff associated with hybrids?

2) Is it OK if I buy from a private seller and check the car with a Toyota dealer? If so do you have some rough idea of how much that would cost?

3) What are the stuffs I need to look out for around the 60,000 mile range?

4) I have to travel a lot from my apt to school and work and hence i will be doing only highway miles (City to highway ratio would 5 : 95) Is Prius still a good option?

I would appreciate if you could shed any light on this.
    Thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would go with a used corolla or camry. good hywy mileage, low cost, less to go wrong at 60K. good luck!

3. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your headline says 07/08 while your text says 08/09. Not that there are major differences since the 06 models which introduced standard driver seat airbags and a better designed battery.

The first thing that goes bad in a Prius is usually the 12V battery. There are plenty of threads with errors, so I would suggest you find a store to measure that. It is the battery that initiates the computer and costs about $130. If it is in good condition it should give you a reading of 12.5 V or higher.

Tire wear is another thing to look at. Many people are unhappy with the stock tires, but they are the ones that usually cam from driving larger cars and are not used to the Prius very sensitive steer handling. If you drive highway the handling is different than most cars. I inflate mine at 44-46 psi and they last much longer and give better mpg that way.

Some also complain for the lack of adjustment of the driver's seat as well as below average support.

I would never buy a used car from a dealer. You will find plenty of support in these forums that will guide you. It's universally accepted that we avoid Toyota dealers as much as possible.

As far as the highway vs city question, I must say that the Prius Fuel economy on the highway will only be about 30% higher than that of a Civic or a Corolla. The fuel economy benefits thus diminish, however you still have many other reasons to buy a Prius. 1) It is probably the most well-built/reliable car in its class. 2) It emits almost no CO2. 3) It's geeky and its electronics surprise most people. 4) It's more spacious than it seems.

It used to have very high resale value, but that has changed (so it's the right time to buy it). It's resale price will increase if the price of gas increases as well.