1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MAJOR complaint - Dealer - Penn Toyota, NY (Long Island)

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by lonewolf69, Sep 13, 2010.

1. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After reading all the threads how important the 1st oil change is, I decided to take my new 2010 IV into my dealership to have the oil changed. I waited about 1.5 hours to get the oil changed and had the priviledge to pay $78.89 for the oil change...!

Breakdown:
    Express Lube - $65.00
    Replacable Element - $6.50
    Gasket - $1.13
    Sales Tax - $6.26

At this point, I'm not a happy camper, I didn't start to FUME until I got home...!!!!!!

My invoice clearly states 4 QTs of 5W30 were used and not the 0W20 !!!!??!??!

Really!??!?!! PENN Toyota, my own dealership that I purchased the car from, the same dealer who told me that I should be using only the synthetic oil!??!? 5W30, Wth!!!!!! :(

I just got off the phone with them, and they told me that it was a CLERICAL error and that a new receipt would be printed and sent out to my home address, that's it nothing more. No other recourse at this time... Normally I asked for the used bottles to be sure that the correct oil would be used. I would never of suspected my own dealer to make such a mistake!!!

This is all hours AFTER the fact and I have no way of proviing that the oil in there now is 0W20 or 5W30. :(

thinking of going to the local shop to have the oil drained and changed (again) just for peace of mind...

PS. Not too sure what to do about the prepaid maintenance at this time as I'm not sure I want to use PENN anymore...

Please do reply and let me know what you think about about the prepaid coupons? :mad:

$

2. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 came with a 2-year maintenance contract free with car purchase.
    Didn't they give you one also?

3. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I have them, but the service guy Larry has stated I should save it for the 5K mileage and not use it now... :(

In hindsight I should have insisted that they use the coupon.. doh! :(

I'm in the midst of calling a few other toyota dealers now... I don't think I want to go back to PENN any longer...

4. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Didn't they quote you the price before the service was performed? I'd have walked when they said it would cost $78 for an oil change, regardless of what kind of oil they used! Standard price for a full synthetic oil change around here is about $39.00 - $49.00. Looks like they took advantage of you, I'd be telling them to suck the oil out and give me a refund!

5. priuscritter

priuscritter I am the Stig.

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i would send off a sample of that oil to Blackstone and get a report on it. if it's truly 5w30, then i would call toyota and let them know that their dealer is sabotaging your car.

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    $78 isn't really that expensive for a synthetic oil change. Synthetic oil is like $8 a quart, so 4 quarts is $32 just for the oil. If the oil costs $32...no shop is doing it for $34. They have to furnish the filter and gasket, and charge 30 minutes labor, which at $99/hr is about $50, so add $32 + $50 +$7.50 for the gasket and filter you're at $89.50. Suddenly $78 isn't so expensive.

Now, obviously they buy oil in bulk so it doesn't cost them $8 a quart, but I bet its $5 a quart. There's your $78.

My guess is they used the 5W30 (which also can be synthetic), but its not going to ruin the motor. I would insist they re-change the oil with 0W20, my guess is they will do that if you push them.

7. lonewolf69

lonewolf69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Paul,

Here in NY, the going rate is about $65~$80 for a Sythetic Oil Change... Believe me if I could find a NY location for under $50.00 I'd be all over it... hint hint, any fellow NY/Long Islanders in the know...?

Follow-up conclusion - Jim M. Service manager has just confirmed that the correct oil was indeed installed in the car but that there is a new parts dept employee who entered the wrong description into the system and offered to DRAIN the oil now and replace it with 0W20 while I'm watching...

My faith and conviction has been restored for PENN.

Thank you all for allowing me to VENT... !!!!:cool:

8. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With a straw! And no backwash!

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thats great! I had a feeling they would do that...

10. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Get the oil tested, and if it is actually 5W call toyota's customer experience line at their 1-800 number. They WILL get your problems sorted out. Trust me.

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why do that when the dealer has offered to drain and refill the oil?