1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"MAP" button on navigation system changes radio station

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by socksgirl, Nov 16, 2014.

1. socksgirl

socksgirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Hey all, my first post on Prius Chat.

In June my Grandfather picked up a used 2010 Prius (not exactly sure what trim package it is? I think it's IV? It has heated front seats, voice activation, bluetooth, navigation, XM radio, NO sunroof though)

He honestly doesn't like the car that much, I don't think he knew about the "PWR" button that would make the gas pedal behave more like a standard throttle, but he is away on a trip right now so I am borrowing the car. I love it, and I'm going to show him the "PWR" mode when he gets back and see if that changes his opinion of the car.

ANYWAY I noticed when driving it that pressing the MAP button doesn't actually make the map display and instead changes the radio station? I did some searching and found that this may actually be a known flaw although from my searching it doesn't look like Toyota has addressed this?

From what I have found people have gone to the dealership and if the car is still under warranty it is taken care of but if the car is out of warranty they are basically told they need to purchase a whole new navigation unit which is about $4500?

Can anyone give me some more information about this? I'm guessing the car is probably out of the original manufacturers warranty? Not sure if there might have been some sort of warranty from when he purchased the car pre-owned?

I definitely plan to talk to him about this when he gets back because it is very annoying to not be able to switch back to the map easily. The only ways I have figured out to work around this is use the voice activation and say "show map" or to press the "DEST" button, choose a destination, and then delete that destination and then it shows the map.

Thank you in advance for any help or information given,
    If my Grandfather still decides he doesn't like the Prius I'm totally going to ask to buy it from him because I love it!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! how many miles on her?

3. socksgirl

socksgirl New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I believe it has around 54,000 miles on it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it might be under warranty, swing by a dealer and describe it to them, see what they say.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can always get a junk yard dog for cheap money.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The basic warranty is only 36 months or 36,000 miles. No 2010 should be covered anymore.

Powertrain, restraint systems, corrosion, and hybrid system have separate and longer warranties, but fat chance getting an entertainment or navigation system problem covered under any of those.

7. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't have much good news :(
    The radio/nav in my Prius also has some improperly functioning buttons, "at times', which has turned out to be "most of the time".
    The Map button on my unit works OK.
    The Sat button gets remapped to be Play USB.
    The Setup & Disp buttons get remapped to up-down seek.
    Temperature plays a part. The buttons have the best chance of working correctly when the temp is cool/cold.

Seems a intermittent cable connection internally to the NAV unit is to blame.
    I have found one place that says they can repair these sort of problems - I have not used their services, I just know they exist:
    Toyota navigation stereo cd dvd changer repair

Here are a couple threads that you can read:
    Prius with Navi- Random Channel Changing | PriusChat
    Hot car = loss of radio control | PriusChat
    Radio buttons failing | Page 4 | PriusChat

The one good item: I have not seen the trouble getting worse.

For your specific Map button problem, may I suggest: Dest -> (then at the far right) More -> Map

8. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is some info I remember from Apr 2012 Consumer Reports - they were talking about auto-quality.
    "...in new cars built in 2011, the number of electronic problems has increased 50% compared with those in 2007."
    "Many in-car electronics are made by companies that are used to building consumer electronics...which typically aren't subjected to the physical shocks & wide temperature variation of the automotive environment"
    "...because electronic systems are updated more frequently than mechanical ones, its hard for automakers to accurately assess how components will age."
    Not that any of this helps the problems we are having, it just shows how difficult it is to "get-it-right", & keep the $ down.