1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MG2 Stator Testing

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by B4CDriver, Apr 26, 2014.

1. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am looking at an 03 Prius that seems to have a Bad MG2 Stator. I seached and searched to find how to troubleshoot one with diagrams and instructions, but could find anything step by step. Does anyone know of a good like to a page with that info? Is there a certain Multi Meter I would need?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You will need a Megohm meter commonly called a megger. This will read the stator insulation to ground and will determine if you have any insulation breakdown between any phase winding and ground.

You will also need a low resistance ohmmeter to read resistance between each phase-to-phase winding connection and compare to the other phases. This will determine if you have any phase-to-phase insulation failures. A standard digital voltmeter set to the ohm scale can be used but the winding resistance is so low that it will be hard to compare.

3. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok. Any ideas what the readings should be, and the procedure to do it? I tried searching it and found very little information on the exact procedure.

4. B4CDriver

B4CDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok. I went outside, jacked the car up, and put it in drive. On the ground it will not move too fast before revving out and stopping. In the air, the car shudders like crazy after witting a few miles per hour, and there is a loud rattling noise. I can get it up to about 15mph where it tends to smooth out, and the rattling disappears. Shift to neutral while at 15 and it stops almost immediately. at 15mph after a few seconds the triangle also lights up. Once I shift it back into park, triangle shuts right off. From what I have read, that noise and nasty shuddering will make it most likely the MG2 correct?

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That does sound like MG2. It starts moving using only MG2 up until 15 mph and then the ICE kicks in.