1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Minor Bumper Damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by echase, Feb 9, 2009.

1. echase

echase New Member

Somebody backed into me as I was backing out of a parking spot yesterday. I made it about 2/3 of the way across the lane, then he pulled out. I stopped and sounded the horn, but it was too late and he hit me.

So, now I have minor damage to the rear bumper on my '08 Barcelona red (5K miles). It's creased ever-so-slightly... the paint is not scratched, but it's no longer like-new. Any idea if this is a possible DIY fix, or what it would cost to get it repaired. I hate to bring the guy in for insurance, and possibly have to prove fault if we can settle privately.

2. dr_d12

dr_d12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The bumper cover isn't very expensive (less than $200) but it comes unpainted. I had mine replaced, together with the styrofoam bumper underneath ($80 I think), and with paint and labor, it cost just under $1000. The prices the Toyota dealer quoted me were 20% more than the cost to the autobody.

I'm in Canada, I don't know how much less labor and parts costs are in the US.

For a brand new car, I think its worth going through insurance. That's what we're all paying for.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    At such a low speed, there probably isn't any aluminum bumper or frame damage to consider, but it may be worth having it checked out at a body shop just in case. My car was rear ended requiring the replacement of the bumper cover/foam, but there was some slight rear frame alignment and sheet metal work required as well as a tail lamp assembly. Things add up quickly when you dive deep. I second the idea to get insurance involved.

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The quick repair is to pop off the bumper cover and lightly warm (don't bubble the paint) the rubber from the inside and then press out the crease. I had the dealer do this and repaint the bumper cover for $250, but that was on special that month.

JeffD

5. echase

echase New Member

Interesting, so this could be DIY with the hair dryer, or $1000 at a body shop. I think I'll ask the other guy for $500 and live with it. (I'm sure any minor nick such as this diminishes the resale at least that much, but I plan on keeping the car. If he doesn't want to pay I'll have his insurance fix it for me.

Thanks

6. Barb L

Barb L New Member

I just got a quote to fix my rear bumper and it was about $650. I have a brand new 2009 Magnetic Grey (don't even have the license plates yet!) and someone hit me from behind while I was stopped for traffic waiting to make a turn. My damage included a hole in the bumper and a long crack about 3/4 the length of the bumper. The quote includes a new bumper cover and absorber and labor to paint & replace. Hope that helps.

7. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I doubt you'd get enough heat with a hair dryer to do the job. A heat gun would be better, but those can easily overheat the plastic.

Having insurance handle the repair is a better idea. This avoids arguments if your original estimate is low, he pays that, and you find out it will cost more.