1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mislead about Prius Touring Edition

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by slfare, Dec 9, 2013.

1. slfare

slfare Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I've been browsing the forums ever since my interest in wanting to purchase a Prius this summer and I have since purchased one in late September of this year.

When I was looking for a Prius, the main options that I wanted were navigation and HID's. In September, I saw an ad which listed a 2009 Prius Touring Edition. I was intrigued about this edition and was very interested to know that it supposedly had larger wheels and a stiffer suspension. I guess I was too excited and happy that the very next day I test drove it and bought it. After some time of driving and getting to know my Prius a little better, I come to find out that A) it does not have 16" wheels, B) the spoiler is not the slightly longer one, and C) the rear struts are not colored correctly according to a thread in the forums. The car does have HID's and fog lights, but that's where the similarities end.

The couple of times that I have taken in my Prius in for service (install the MobileTrace, Touch of CLASS, install Optima Yellow Top battery, all weather floor mats, etc.), the paperwork states the following: 09/TOYOTA/PRIUS/4DR HB TOUR.

I purchased the car more so because it had the upgraded options of the Touring Edition. What are my options? I plan on going to the dealership tomorrow to talk to a manager.

Least to say is that I am very upset.

2. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is fairly common, I'm afraid. I saw several "Touring" models when I was shopping that were clearly standard Prii. I wanted one too, but it wasn't a deal breaker. I did end up with a Touring in the end.

If you bought it from a dealer and you paid a premium based on it being a Touring edition, then you should go back and demand some money back. If it was a Toyota dealer, I'd definitely want money back because they should know better.

3. slfare

slfare Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Thanks for your input. Yes, after reading through the forums it seems this is, sadly, common. I did pay a premium based on it being a Touring Edition and I was misled. This is a Toyota dealership, so I will take this as high up the ladder that I can take it up to. I will keep you guys posted.

4. brownsnoutuk

brownsnoutuk Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem your going to have is that you've been driving the car for 3-4 months. If you had caught the mistake earlier they would probably have given you a partial refund to make up for it. With it being so long they are more than likely going to refuse to do anything.

5. Lumpy05

Lumpy05 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just bought a 2008 Prius that was advertised by the car lot as a Touring. Fortunately I was suspicious before seeing the car in person, it is a Package 1 / Package 3 car with dealer installed leather. So no HID's, no touring suspension, and 15" wheels/tires. I used that to negotiate and go what I felt was a good deal. I dont think the car lot was trying to deceive but they didnt know what they had. I think the dealer installed leather threw them off, but it showed on the carfax. I'm please with the car and the deal but anyone searching for a real touring model should be very careful, you cant tell from the VIN # either.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do you still have the ad or any paperwork from the dealer saying the car is a "Touring Edition"?

7. docmirror

docmirror New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought a 2007 touring. I took the list of options with me and checked them off one by one. Since it was a used car, there was no negotiation about the touring stuff, but I knocked down the price because the chassis batt was weak and the doors had a fair number of scratches. I'm still happy with the car I got, but I'm worried that the extra touring options won't mean much in the long run.

8. OMG

OMG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The prius I bought was advertised as a Touring. Dealer swore up and down about it. I checked and it wasn't. I got an excelent deal on it so I didn't care if it was or not. If the dealer would've wanted more just because he thought it was a Touring then I would've probably fought him on it or walked away.

9. slfare

slfare Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone! Thank you for sharing your stories and providing insight.

After being passed from one representative to another like a hot potato, I have been communicating back and forth with a representative at the Toyota dealership whom is handling my case. It seems that I have climbed up the ladder, as this representative stated that she is in direct contact with the "general sales manager". They are still "reviewing the case", gathering information and a list of parts that make up the Touring Edition specification. They have not admitted to anything yet, however the representative stated that they want to "make this right" and "make me happy". I will keep you updated.

And no, I don't have the window sticker nor the original advertisement. I was too excited and I should have done my due diligence. However, I should be able to fully trust a Toyota dealership.

10. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's true, I was just hoping you had that so you could throw it at their face. Lol

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "Trust" and "car salesman" used in a positive light are rarely in the same sentence. Reagan said, "Trust, but verify."

How is the car described on the dealer's paperwork you signed?

I suspect the dealership will try to do something for you.

cwerdna likes this.
  12. slfare

slfare Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have good news!

After following up with the customer relations representative at the dealership, I have confirmed that the Touring Edition parts to complete the specification have been placed in order! Brand new 16" wheels, spoiler, and sport tuned suspension will be installed on my car once the parts arrive.

In the beginning, the representative said that they "want to make this right". Well, they have. I am highly impressed with the customer support at Toyota!

13. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, good deal. You seem happy and if so, then I'm happy for you.

14. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is a rather surprising, and excellent, outcome. Congratulations.

15. slfare

slfare Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good news! I received a call today from the Toyota dealership informing me that the parts for the Touring Edition have arrived. I dropped off the Prius today and took some before pictures.

photo.jpg

photo_1.jpg

16. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    slfare,

If you don't mind, please post the after pictures. Please include the one showing the color change on the rear strut (shock).

Thanks for your info!

17. OMG

OMG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what exactly are they changing?
    - suspensions
    - wheels
    - rear wing
    - add navigation
    - HIDs
    What the cost?

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Should be rear shocks and springs, rear anti roll bar (sway bar), Wheels and tyres, and larger spoiler. This is assuming the lighting you have is already HID with fogs.
    I hope they put good LRR tyres on for you.

John (Britprius)

19. slfare

slfare Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone,

Sorry for the delay in updating you, I've been very busy. Well, I have updates. Last Thursday they called me to tell me unfortunate news, that they reached out to Toyota and that they cannot proceed with the installation of the parts. Basically, it came down to the Touring Edition having different ECU's and it would entail a lot more work than expected. I was bummed, as I really wanted the Touring Edition specification. All of the parts and work was to be done free of charge to me due to error on their behalf.

The customer relations manager gave me two options: A) stay with the current Prius and they will refund me $2,300 plus tax for the additional premium on the Touring Edition or B) refund the amount that I have already put down on the Prius second-generation and get me into a third generation. I weighed the options and the next day, after test driving and financing negotiations were made, I am the proud owner of a 2014 Prius Four!

The Prius is currently in the shop getting the Xpel paint protection film put on. I look forward to joining conversations on the Prius third-generation!

photo.jpg photo_1.jpg photo_2.jpg photo_3.jpg

20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats and best of luck to you!