1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mismatched front and rear tires BAD idea?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mycnam, Jan 7, 2014.

1. mycnam

mycnam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found a set of winter tires with wheels on craigslist, but they are for Gen II Prius, 185/65/R15. Two of the tires are almost gone anyway. If I buy these, I wonder if I should buy another pair of 185/65/R15 (Gen II size) or 195/65/R15. Will the 185 be too small for a Gen III?

I found it may be a bad idea to mismatch sizes of front and rear tires:
    Interesting warning light -Video attached

2. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do not mismatch tires, or manufacture or tread design period! Tires must match!

3. mycnam

mycnam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How about using 185/65/R15 for Gen III?

4. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    retired 4999: While your comment MAY be the "standard and acceptable" response - I disagree with the "tires MUST match".
    I had run snow tires on the front of my 2005 Prius for 2 Winters (front only - all season radials on the rear). When we sold the 2005 and bought a 2010, I kept the front wheels/tires from the 2005. I am now running the front snow tires on the 2010 this Winter w/o ANY problems at all. The only "issue" is the low tire symbol is lit on the dash for an obvious reason. There have been/are no problems with handling issues - we have had ice, deep snow, etc. this Winter and the car and its tires are performing just fine.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Must Match?
    Or
    Bad Idea.

Debate all you want...but I'm going to say bad idea....perhaps very bad idea.

Even if the difference doesn't create a perceptible handling difference feel, I can't believe running mismatched tires isn't a reduction in performance.

And IMO tires are so important to vehicle operation and safety, that I'm going to say...bad idea.

6. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok! I give a little.
    A Bad Idea!
    I believe that putting snows on front and regular tread on the back is just asking for the rear end of the car to end up in the front!

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For budget financial reasons once, I needed a set of 4 tires but could only afford to buy two at a time, and it was necessary to buy the two just to stay on the road...one of the tires had gone dangerously bad.

So I drove a set of mismatched tires for about 6 weeks while I saved up to buy the second set of two.

I can't say I really felt a huge difference.

But I believe the vehicle was safer once I got 4 matching tires all near the same wear point with the same tread design.

I also bought a used car once that had mismatched tires on it. Again, I honestly can't say it felt dangerous, but once I got a set of matching 4 my gas mileage significantly improved.

I don't think a mismatch will necessarily immediately send you into a ditch, I believe it's doable. But is it recommendable? No...I have to say avoid it if possible.

retired4999 likes this.
  8. mycnam

mycnam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks all, I just want to confirm: is 185/65/R15 suitable for Gen III?
    Anyhow, the seller is not responding to me...

9. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The handling issues that this can cause are not something you will experience very often, or for most people, even be able to attribute to the tires after having an incident. Nonetheless, it is well known, and I can speak from personal experience that the snap oversteer that can occur is incredibly dangerous and impossible to control. Hit the right combination of surfaces and you may find yourself suddenly facing the wrong way at a high rate of speed. It's honestly one of the most dangerous things you can do to your vehicle. Spend the couple hundred extra bucks and get matched tires!!!

GrumpyCabbie and retired4999 like this.
  10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Apart from the safety angle. One other problem you are likely to come across with different size tyres front and rear is that at speed the ABS VSC warning light is likely to come on as the front and rear wheels rotate at different speeds because of there different radius. The computers thinking the car is in a slide.

John (Britprius)

11. mycnam

mycnam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks John, but no one can still answer this question: is 185/65/R15 too small for Gen III?
    On paper it's only 6.5mm smaller in radius than 195/65/R15 and 1.8mm smaller than 215/45/R17 for Prius Five. I think people lowered the car more than that.

Oh, someone mentioned that the Prius L base model in Japan comes with stock 185/65/R15 too.

12. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    185/65/15 will be fine on a Gen III and narrowing the tires for winter use is actually not a bad idea. Your speedometer will be off by 2% meaning when it reads 60 you'll be doing 58.8, but no big deal (although if your Gen III is anything like mine which already indicated 2mph high you'll now be at 3+, but anyways).

If you need to replace two of the snow tires, buy the 185 size. I do question the value of used tires if two of them already need replacing. I'd think you could do better than that on the used market.

13. mycnam

mycnam Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks! Last question:
    How about 195/60/R15? I found some VW Jetta tires with this size, I believe same rims. This is almost 10mm less in radius, I guess they are really too small for Gen III...