1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Moonroof not closing properly

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Rachmaninov, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Rachmaninov

Rachmaninov Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a relatively urgent problem. My 2010 Prius V has a moonroof installed by the dealer at the time of sale, though I think it was aftermarket (some contract between the dealer and a third party). The moonroof worked fine for 3.5 years, and today started failing to close. By failing to close, I mean it fully closes, and then over-closes about a centimeter into the vent position. When the moonroof is vented it usually opens about 5 cm. Opening and venting control works fine. Only close operation has the problem.

I don't see manufacturer info on the moonroof. The only identifiers are model 845 SIG Series Serial 54185 Batch 10/147. It says it was made in the USA.

I bought my Prius at Earnhardt Toyota, Superstition Springs.

Any advice on this? Has anyone remedied a similar issue?

Thanks,
    Benjamin

2. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. Rachmaninov

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for your reply. I worked on the problem until late last night.

I think the moonroof comes from Signature, and I found this manual online:

http://www.signature-autoproducts.us/downloads/sigseriesinstallguide.pdf

Page 3 had an initialization procedure with some shoddy instructions (not saying what button to press and such...) but it got me far enough to successfully close the moonroof. My control has 3 buttons: open, close, and vent. I opened the moonroof with a tap on open. Next, I held open for 5 seconds. This opened the moonroof another inch. Unlike the manual says, the moonroof did not close to find a new stop position (the extra inch of open is all that happened).

I hit close, and the problem remained... Still over-closing. Next, I tried the vent initialization procedure. I fully vented the moonroof with a tap of vent. I held vent 5 seconds. I heard a click...maybe there was minuscule movement... Then nothing (once again it didn't close,against instructions). I hit close, and it worked! It must have been the vent procedure.

I am still going to not open it, and have the dealer look at it when I get my next oil change.

Thanks for your time. Hope this helps somebody keep their car dry.

Regards,
    Benjamin

ftl and KK6PD like this.
  4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's nice when you can get your hands on some paper work! It just makes posts like this happen!
    ATTA-BOY for figuring out the solution and posting your find!

Rachmaninov likes this.
  5. Rachmaninov

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This issue happened again. It seems from time to time I have to do the vent re-initialization. I can work around it, but I think there is a design shortcoming.