1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Most efficient p&G high & low speed limits?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mad-dog-one, May 3, 2011.

1. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have read some discussions about pulse and glide (p&g) and have used this technique with some success, although I am uncertain about the ideal speed range used to maximize p&g efficiency. What is the most efficient top and bottom speeds used in p&g cycles with a warm ICE on a flat highway before repeating the process?

A. Pulse up to _____ MPH and
    B. Glide down to _____ MPH?
    C. Repeat p&G cycle.

Thank you

2. rpo

rpo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So far, I have found that the faster your average speed is, the less pulse and glide helps. I do not bother if my average speed is over 50 MPH since it does not seem to help the MPG in my case.

I do drive one surface street for about 25 miles each way often. The speed limit ranged from 35 to 50. On the 50 MPH section, I will typically speed up to 50, then glide at 25% down to 40, then speed back up again. On the 35 MPH section, I will glide from 35 down to 28 or so. This is a flat road with only a 200 foot elevation difference over 25 miles. No hills at all. I can consistently get 70 MPG on that route.

Since I began using the pulse and glide technique two months ago, I am averaging 63 MPG. Prior to that, I had a lifetime average of 53.2 MPG as per my ScanGauge.

2 people like this.