1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Motion override switch 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Alnilam, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wanna hear a dumb story?

I sat around since April waiting for the big fix that would allow Coastal or somebody to sell me an override package like the earlier cars can get so that I can use my BlueTooth and GPS while underway. I couldn't talk myself into actually performing surgery on my brand new car but today, having the front panel already apart from my DICE install and my hope running low for the miracle cure, I checked my electrical box and found a nice switch just made for this little project.

I downloaded the excellent instructions and associated pictures and broke out my soldering iron. I looked at the picture and saw the two purple wires shining in the afternoon sun. I clipped them with the care of a vasectomy surgeon and installed my switch in the upper left wall of the lower glove box, where it didn't interfere with its closing and is invisible yet handy during movement, especially to one in the right seat.

I took off around the block, my iPod playing heart-wrenching melodies through the new DICE system, and hit the switch. Nothing, rien, nada, zilch. The little wheels kept spinning on the MFD despite my desperate toggling. I returned home and compared the picture with my handiwork. Wait a minute! I was one column too far to the right in the wire box! I don't know what I cut but I spent the next couple of hours restoring these two unfortunate purple wires to their intended function, if not their original look.

Next I found what I deduced had to be the correct wires and, after long pause, clipped one. I got in the car and drove around the block noticing the little wheels were static. Returning home, I repeated my work on this and its companion wire and all is now well. But instead of two wires defaced for all eternity, I upped the ante to four. This is the Prius version of "measure twice, saw once."

The DICE works fine and I also modified the rear windshield wiper to stay up. Two out of three isn't bad....

I probably won't mention this to my daughter. I'm not really looking forward to your replies either.

2. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've certainly had my fair share of DOH moments in the past, so I can just imagine the sinking feeling in your stomach... Coincidentally, I installed this same hack today as well as the anytime reverse camera mod. Mine went a bit smoother.

FYI, for those that are curious, no soldering is needed, I was able to accomplish it all just using those telephone taps and splicers you get at Radio Shack. Even the diode was tapped in this way... One thing I hadn't though about, though, was that for the motion override you normally want the switch "on" (closed), but the anytime reverse camera is the opposite, you normally want the switch "off" (open). So with both hacks off one switch was facing forwards and the other facing backwards. That won't do! I had to pop it apart again and flip one around so they both faced the same direction. :)

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    OK, I'm really sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but where are the instructions for doing this? I would really like to, but I require detailed instructions, and anyone who could offer a link to some, or a .pdf file would be wonderful.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The most detailed i've found is: http://evnut.com/prius_speed_wire.htm

If you're at all technically/electrically minded (and if you know enough to work a soldering iron you should be), then those should be enough to get you through the mod.

a note of advice: hook all the wires together (without soldering or permanent attachment) and test the switch, make sure it works with the setup the way you have it - if a diode is pointing the wrong way or something, it'll suck to have to take it out and redo it.

5. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 30 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]340675[/snapback]</div>
    Since you have Package 5, without the NAV system, you can do the mod through the speaker vent and the instructions apply. (NAV owners will want to go to the last picture to switch TWO wires.) I think the suggestion to use Radio Shack telephone taps is good and I probably should have done it that way. I may even re-do mine to make it look neater in the future.

No diode is needed for this mod. That comes into play with the video override setup.

6. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have Coastal's Auto-Lock, and when I installed the BT override, the doors locked right away (instead of 16mph). I used a push-on/push-off button, and evidently if I start the Prius with that button to OFF, it messes with the locks. If set to ON, it worked fine. It scared me until I figured it out.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Bob, in case you're curious, you seemed to have cut the speed sensor wire to the HV ECU. The other purple wire seems to connect the cruise control switch to the HV ECU.

At least you didn't ruin your spoiler backing out of your garage with the hatch still open trying to test your mod!

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32 @ Nov 1 2006, 01:02 PM) [snapback]342068[/snapback]</div>
    What's amazing to me about that is that he experienced no warning lights or functionality problems, if that's the wire he cut. Any speculation on what the long-term consequences of doing that might be? Would you be able to go over 34mph in EV mode? Would you be able to go over 41mph in stealth? Or would it just totally screw up the ability of the system to use the algorhythms that determine maximum FE?

9. Prius07Pkg4

Prius07Pkg4 New Member

I am having problem with my Bluetooth, that I can not dial phone by name, access phone book etc. I posted in the forum and I got the answer from IsrAmeriPriusand that lead me to this thread.

Thank you everyone for the guidance how to bypass the Speed Wire.

I am wondering if we can do the following to eliminate the switches???

Find the Speed wire that feed to the Bluetooth unit:

We measure the input of this wire when car is not in motion (voltage, Ohm etc...); we then by pass this wire and feed our own Dummy Speed Wire in no motion state to the Bluetooth unit. We need to make sure the the Speed Wire is not in serial to feed other unit, if it is inserial to feed to other unit, we have just by pass at the Bluetooth unit and reconnect Speed Wire back to other unit.

If this works, we do not need to install switches and interfere with others unit that use Speed Wire.

Case 1: Speed Wire only feed the Bluetooth Unit.

-------Speed Wire--------Bluetooth Unit

Solution:

-------Dummy Speed Wire--------Bluetooth Unit

Case 2: Speed Wire feed the Bluetooth Unit and other unit in Serial.

-------Speed Wire--------Bluetooth Unit---------------Speed Wire to other unit----

Solution:

-------Dummy Speed Wire--------Bluetooth Unit

-------------Speed Wire--------Speed Wire to other unit---------

Let me know if my theory is wrong or it will not work.

Thank you.

10. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Keep in mind that the BT speed wire also sends the signal to the Consumption screen (the 5-minute information), the Energy screen (the turning wheels) and any audio lockouts (message on the FM, and, IIRC, the MP3 information). If you want them to be not affected you'll have to make sure where to put that dummy wire.

11. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dumb question: DICE?

And do you have pics of this mod? Thanks.

12. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Nov 12 2006, 01:07 AM) [snapback]347742[/snapback]</div>
    DICE is an iPod integration system (like VAIS). It connects to the back of the radio and you attach your iPod to that. It allows you to control (and display) it using the MFD and steering wheel. It also has an AUX input, which is handy if you don't have a 2006-2007. A search will tell you about both the DICE and VAIS.

As for pictures, there's not much to show. I have it buried behind the right A/C vent cover (it's in the lower right corner of the picture), so my iPod can sit in the lower glove box.

13. Prius07Pkg4

Prius07Pkg4 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Nov 11 2006, 10:31 PM) [snapback]347722[/snapback]</div>
    What if the car is without Bluetooth (package 2 and below)?? If we have schematics for both Bluetooth and Non Bluetooth versions, we might figure it out!!

14. bhenner

bhenner New Member

my 2 cents...

I installed my speed sensor switch a couple days ago. I just cut the two speed sensor wires under the center/passenger vent, spiced some extra wire for slack, connected it to a switch I picked up at Radio Shack, drilled out a hole in the side of the top glove compartment, put the switch in, and popped the vent panel back on. Total process took less than an hour.

PS: I just used electric tape in the splicing process .. I was just too lazy to go anywhere. :p

15. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius07Pkg4 @ Nov 11 2006, 09:19 PM) [snapback]347679[/snapback]</div>
    The answer to this part of the equation must be zero. 'Cause that's what a switch does, it cuts the circuit. The fact that a switch works means the nominal "not in motion" state must be zero voltage, infinite resistance. Or, to be more accurate, that the bluetooth unit doesn't care if it is zero/infinate and that's good enough.

16. marcoinpb

marcoinpb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After cutting the TWO wires, does that mean that you add TWO switches, one for each cut wire? Thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Branden Henner @ Nov 15 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]349741[/snapback]</div>

17. Prius07Pkg4

Prius07Pkg4 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr. Zorg @ Nov 15 2006, 03:45 PM) [snapback]349831[/snapback]</div>
    That could be true. But the question is, why we do need two switches for this??

18. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marcoinpb @ Nov 16 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]350693[/snapback]</div>
    Or a single DPDT switch, which'll control both at once. Some have used magnetic switches (one for each) also.

19. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Nov 16 2006, 11:24 PM) [snapback]350699[/snapback]</div>
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=25294&st=0#

20. Alnilam

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marcoinpb @ Nov 16 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]350693[/snapback]</div>
    I just used one DPDT switch which is mounted out of sight in the glove compartment, forward upper left. This doesn't impede opening or closing the box at all. Switching is by Braille: Forward in "Normal," aft is "Override."