1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mouse proofing the v, $$$-Oops.

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by DGH, May 20, 2012.

1. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2006 Prius and ended up doing a vacuum removal of a dead mother mouse and three live babies from the cabin blower box. Not a fun thing to do..... ever. See pic1, I spared you the graphic shots.

So I did the search thing and found a solution. I did the metal screening at all the suggested areas.

I have had no problems since, however we just bought a v.
    Further investigation has led me to find a multitude of similar rodent accessible areas on the V.

I know the gang at Toyota checks in here, so I ask you again, why won't you spend an extra buck, OK maybe two and screen things off WHEN YOU BUILD IT (like other auto makers do).

I now will remain calm.

So this weekend I went about screening the v, it went well, very similar to the GENII.

Just one little problem, as I was buttoning up the windshield cowl I did a slight push on the cowl and poofo, time for a new windshield, see pic2.

Stress point? Whatever, it's all my fault and I don't have an issue with that.

However I'm really ticked that I had to do the fix in the first place.

Hey Toyota, see the numerous complaints on rodent intrusion on this site and others.

Respond to your customers concerns and fix your vehicle faults.

Thanks,

Dano... Bonehead of the day.

Attached Files:

• Nest.jpg
      Nest.jpg
      File size:
      441.2 KB
      Views:
    • $$.jpg
      $$.jpg
      File size:
      257.1 KB
      Views:
  2. n0na

n0na Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm sorry to hear about your mouse problem, but I doubt that screening is any guarantee that the problem won't happen again. Mice look for a warm dry place to build a nest and they'll be happy with any place under the hood. You can't screen off that entire area. I had some mice build a nest on top of the battery in my Chevy pickup. They did $1300 worth of damage by chewing on wires (mostly covered by insurance). The pickup was parked outside near some brush and shrubs where you'd expect to find mice. I've since cleared out their habitat and haven't had any more problems. So, you might try to get rid of the mice in the area. I did have a friend who had dead mice in a vent tube, but, as I said, they'll nest just about anywhere where it's warm and dry.

3. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize that mice may run around the engine, that's fine.
    But to allow such easy access to the interior of the vehicle is inexcusable.

Thanks,

Dan.

acceleraptor likes this.
  4. n0na

n0na Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I just returned from a Toyota owner's meeting at my dealer. One of the speakers mentioned that he'd seen a number of problems with mice and he recommended that, before you park the car, press the recirculate button. That will close the vent to the outside world and should keep the mice from getting into the interior of the car.

5. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks nOna,
    Yes that may work in one way, but trust me there are other areas that allow walk in, OK crawl in, access.