1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

mpg with 91 vs 87, in your prius c

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by xraydoug, Mar 18, 2014.

1. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was under the assumption that any fuel with more than 87 octain would do nothing to my mpg. A few weeks ago I was on empty and I bought my first tank of 91 octain. I am over 400 miles on the tank and my mpg is about 60mpg, my recent tanks of 87 octain gave me about 52mpg. I am shocked the temp is a little warmer but I don't think enough to make much difference in mpg. I have not put higher psi in tires. my driving is the same. I will do more to evaluate my mpg with 91 and I would like input from others who have compaired 87 to 91 in the prius c. Thanks

If you want to see click on my fuelly it takes you to fuelly and shows my mpg and fill ups. I will fill up this tank later this week, so it doesn't show the current tank with 91 in it yet.

2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It looks like you're just getting back to your pre-winter MPGs. Even if its not quite as warm as it was then, you've probably learned to drive the car better. Temperature can make a big difference, especially with shorter trips or if you're blasting the heat. Also, the winter blend of gasoline generally returns lower MPGs regardless of temperature, you may have gotten summer gas at your last fill up (do not know when they switch there).
    Not saying the 91 octane isn't making a difference, there's just too many variables to be sure at this point. If it does end up being better, it'll be interesting to see if its enough to justify the extra cost.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We are seeing big variations on the warm days. Do both of these fuels conatin E10 or is the 91 E0?

4. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That is exactly what I am trying to find out. most people say just use 87 you get exactly the same performance. im not sure now if that is true. but over time I will figure it out.(y)

both should be E10, in oregon all gas is E10 there are 2 stations that sell E0 91 but they charge much more. all my gas is bought at costco.

5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I only use 91 octane and my average mpg is 55. I tend to get 55mpg to 60mpg highway and 60mpg to 70+ mpg city.

6. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The difference between 91 and 87 octane gas is the component chemicals that are used. gasoline is a mixture of many chemicals, notably hydrocarbons that make up crude oil. Refineries merely extract the ones that usefully can burn to power internal combustion engines. As such the recipe for gasoline changes with the crude oil used to extract the gasoline. Generally,high test gas does have more energy than low test because the refinery has to use more energy components to obtain higher antiknck properties especially true once tetraethyl leasd was banned.
    today, 87 octane gas is likely to have greater amounts of ethyl alcohol and that component alone kncks the heat of combustion of gas by 3 -5% or so.
    we have run lab tests under the same loads in the lab and find that you can, but not guaranteed, get as much as 3 to 4 mpg more with high test on a Priuc sized engine. Its not guaranteed because there is a wide variety of gas mixtures available in gas stations even day to day. in either case of course, its not economical as most premiums are 10 to 20% higher cost so a 3% gain isn't worth it. And yhe difference in detergents and other additives simly aren't worth considering. The only possible advantage in premiums is there is less likelyhood of alcohol contamination. Yes, contamination.
    It is possible to get less mpg with 91 compared to 87 but thats a minority. It just depends on the gas distributed. But on average you should get a 3 to 5% increase in mpg's.
    we've had the opportunity to check at least 9 tank refills with and without etanol contamination and find the difference about 4 mpg regularly. low forties on ethanol laced gas and upper forties on gas without ethanol.

#6 mahout, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    JayG, NDcowPoke and wjtracy like this.
  7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I did a check of 87 vs 91 last year during the summer. I found no difference. Several times.

I have been buying 91 lately The station has no non-ethanol 87, so I buy 91 w/no ethanol and tack on the car wash to the purchase. My cold weather mileage suffered greatly with either octane, but has started creeping up with the warming weather. I

I vote that the difference is only the warming weather. Try it again when temps have gotten to normal and put a couple of tanks through it.

My Z28 Camaro, on the other hand, gets better mpgs using 91 rather than 87. But it has higher compression and can take advantage of it.

8. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    that is the plan, I will be using both and see if I can get a trend on the mpg increase. the cost here is less than 10% higher and my mpg seems to be more than 10% higher both are E10

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i vote no, waste of money.:)

10. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Have you tried to compair. or are you going with popular opinion? I specifically am trying to figure this out on my C. I have an obvious larg mpg jump on this tank. I think it is due to the fuel.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, just going with historical info reading here. all the best with your testing, try to be as scientific as possible.(y)

KK6PD and xraydoug like this.
  12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This question has been asked and answered so many times, I feel like it is 1947.

Once again: 91 Octane will not improve fuel economy in a car in which 87 Octane is recommended.

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Mahout...I've been getting criticized for talking about the possible energy content differences.

To expand on what you said, I was reviewing Chevron online info (Google "Chevron Premium"). They have a nicely detailed 120 page report including discussion of the energy content variations. According to Chevron, on average Premium only has about 1% more energy than Regular. However, my question is NOT what is the average energy content difference, but rather, what could the maximum difference be?...that answer seems to be 7-8% (quoted in Chevron report) but your number 4-5% makes sense to me....the 7-8% would be say winter regular vs. summer premium - maximum possible density variation.

The other tidbit from the Chevron report is: those of us living in RFG areas, we should not expect any energy content advantage for Premium due to the EPA RFG recipe does not allow higher energy aromatics etc.

Bottom line for XrayDoug- I don't know if Oregon requires EPA RFG in your area. If not, then there could be bit more energy content in your 91 Octane.

I will post some of the Chevron report later...in general Chevron seems to have about the best public on-line details for consumers. BTW I saw nothing in Chevron info to suggest any advantage from Premium ...they say they put the same amount of Techron in all grades. Chevron and others seem to be heavily down-playing the energy content variations: they are not marketing premium as higher energy content...but I feel energy content variations are potentially of interest to Prius owners...if some of us have access to higher energy content, we'd want to try it. Not me as I am in RFG region, but maybe in my travels.

OK I keep going. I measured 0.719 g/cc density in my winter RFG Regular today. It's pretty easy to measure. Just take a red plastic safety container (eg; for lawn mower) and fill it safely with 1.00-gal or today I did 1.50-gal. Get a weight on empty can. Then get your net weight of gasoline and divide through by ccs. The only pain-in-the-butt was I had to go to Bed Bath and Beyond to get a 5-Kg kitchen scale. Do your measurments at home as the station owner will think you're nuts (may be true but try to hide it). Density relates to energy content.

14. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info. I think 99% of the comments against trying 91 are people who are to smart to try it. I know I wasn't going to even try it because everything I have heard said it would do nothing. Then after I filled up with 91 the first time my mpg came up almost 10 mpg with the same driving I always do. I will go back and fourth with fuel octane and see what the results seem to indicate.

I used to drive a dodge caravan I got 18mpg average, Oregon went to E10 and my mpg went to 14, at the same time I had a suburban I got 13 on average, Oregon went to E10 my mpg stayed the same. both cars were fuel injected and in good working order. one car didnt care about the ethanol and the other did. both cars were suposed to use 87 octain so different fuels can change your mpg. I am trying to find out if that is the case on prius c.

15. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not sure I am going to start weighing my fuel, I guess I may not be able to figure this out just going back and fourth with the reg vs primium. I like to tinker with things so this is the kind of thing I like.

16. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The largest variables in the experiment would be outside temps and ethanol/no ethanol.

Anything with ethanol will give less mpg. Ensure you use regular and premium with no ethanol or there is no reason to do the test.

17. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Engines today are designed to; 1) run efficiently on 87 octane, or 2) run efficiently on 91(+) octane, but CAN run on 87 octane. You can use 91+ octane in any engine designed as #1, but it's not designed to take advantage of higher octane that a #2 engine would. All engines today have spark control that will advance and retard based on octane levels, but only engines designed for higher octane can advance the spark control enough to take full advantage of it. One tank of 91 octane doesn't prove anything, but if you were to alternate tanks of 87 and 91 over a long period of time and have consistent fill-ups using the same station and pump, say over 12 months to account for seasonable weather changes, if 91 octane yields higher mileage you should see a pattern over time that proves or not any advantage.

18. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    that is what I am going to do. I hope some others have done this type of trial, and could share their results. I understand one tank doesen't prove anything but is sure is intresting to me.:rolleyes:

19. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    In Oregon I can't get 87 E0, and only two stations in my area have 91 E0, I buy all my fuel from costco and it is rated E10 so that will at least be my first experiment. this trial will take some time due to me driving low miles and I want to use most of the fuel from the tank so I get a better understanding of the mpg for that tank, and so the amount of gas still in the tank won't affect the gas for my next tank as much.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I monitored the engine coolant temperature with a SG in our Gen2 Prius today as part of my post coolant exchange routine, and was reminded just how long it takes the Prius engine to heat up to ~ 158F -- the temperature required for the ICE to turn stop spinning when the car is coasting below 42 mph.

Now admittedly the first 8 miles from my home to my first stop was a good 1/2 downhill, but I barely hit 150F!
    Hobbit has said in the past that it takes 2 kW to turn the ICE, so P&G below 158F is no where near as fuel economical as above 158F. I don't know about the Prius 'c,' but my Gen2 built-in gauges do not let me distinguish true P&G from P&C (pulse and coast.)

I agree with others that the warming weather explains the improved MPG of OP and not the higher octane fuel. I suspect the quicker transition to true P&G is the reason. If OP used an engine block heater he could finish his comparo quickly, and enjoy high MPG along the way ;)