1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My 2001 Hybrid Battery needs to be replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by titus37, Nov 26, 2007.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

One last thought, if you decide to let some of us have a 'busman's holiday' with your car, it is best to let us know by Thursday evening at the latest. I usually have to plan my weekends and knowing there will be a trip to NC works best if we know in advance. Spartanburg NC is 7 hours from Huntsville and for a productive weekend, timing is everything.

As Hobbit said, the first thing to do is remove and inspect the battery. It could be as simple as 'crap in the gap', cleaning the corrosion. This also makes it possible to fault-isolate to specific battery modules and possibly put in some spares to get you rolling again. But this is not something one wants to do under a shade tree.

Bob Wilson

ps. Some of us would be interested in the old battery if you decide to go the 'dealer' route. Certainly putting it up on Ebay works but shipping an 80 pound battery pack it not trivial.

2. titus37

titus37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I'm in awe of the "let's have a party in Charlotte and fix this thing" attitude. I really appreciate the offers for help, but I think I'm going to continue down the path of working with the dealership and Toyota.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Nov 27 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]545024[/snapback]</div>
    I just got off the phone with the Toyota Customer Experience people and they've opened up a case number. Somebody should be calling me by close of business tomorrow. :)

The person I spoke with was very helpful. He referred to the episode where the car downshifted and the parking brake light came on as the car going into "Safe Mode." He said the car was trying to conserve energy.

3. omgitsroy326

omgitsroy326 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    that's great... hope it goes well... keep us updated~

4. Bear68

Bear68 Member

:angry: AWWW MANN!!!! I WANNA BE AT THE PARTY TOO!!! Doggone the drive time!! Palm Beach County is just a little too far south!! It would take me a days driving just to get to NC. Awww well...... I can at least wish you all good luck! And remember, DON"T TOUCH UNTIL YOU PULL THE SAFETY PLUG!!!! No bonfires in NC!!!

seriously Titus, the best way to contact the district rep is to simply go to the dealer service manager and ask them for the rep's name and number. Tell them your situation and just ask for some help. Since you have already got a case going you probably won't need this now, but someone might benefit.... Please keep posting as you get more info. I am very interested in hearing how this all works out!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    bah. we drove to key west in a day, you're not THAT far south, bear. ok almost :p

6. titus37

titus37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The dealership called this evening to say that the new battery came in today. They've installed it and the car will be ready to pick up in the morning. Gotta give them credit for being fast! I told the service person that I opened up a case with Toyota and expected to hear back sometime tomorrow. I said I didn't know what they'd say and the service person agreed that he didn't know either.

He said I need to return the loaner car by tomorrow evening, so I expect to pick up my car tomorrow. Hopefully the Toyota Customer Experience people will call me back earlier rather than later. I assume that once I've paid the dealership for the service, it will be much harder to get any help from Toyota.

We'll just have to see what happens tomorrow. If I haven't heard from Toyota by 4pm or so, I'll call them.

7. Lola&#39;05

Lola&#39;05 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 28 2007, 01:47 AM) [snapback]545108[/snapback]</div>

Why hasn't Toyota figured this all out? The Prius will soon be ten years old.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Bear, I'll be sorta down in your neck o' the woods in a couple
    weeks anyways... we should hang out..
    Toyota [well, Panasonic] figured out several things about battery
    interconnects and longevity for the '04 MY, which hasn't needed any
    of this reseal work and has improved cell structure. And there *are*
    a lot of factors that they can't necessarily control or duplicate
    even during months of testing; an owner base has plenty of chances
    of trying something the Toyota folks would never have thought of.
    _H*

9. titus37

titus37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Well, I now have a new Hybrid battery, and the car is running nicely again.

A representative with the Toyota Customer Experience called me on Thursday afternoon. She reminded me that my car was not covered by the warranty but told me she'd try to do whatever she could to help. She said the way any reimbursement works is that I needed to pay the dealership and Toyota would reimburse me later on. I asked her if she could find out about the battery reconditioning program that the Auto Channel talks about. She is supposed to call me back on Tuesday to let me know what Toyota is going to do.

So, I went to the dealership and got my car. I had another ugly surprise to see that Uncle Sam charged $227.24 in sales tax on my battery. The total came out to just a hair under $4,000. :eek:

Here's the story on the voltages. 2 cells were below the specs. They were able to charge one up again, but the other wouldn't hold more than about 15.56 volts. Apparently the specs call for about 17.

The ODB2 codes on my bill say P3006, 3016, and 3020

I was charged for a battery - $2985.13 and a Junction Block Kit - $149.18

The old battery wouldn't quite fit in the trunk, so I loaded it into the back seat. Ever wonder what your Hybrid battery looks like?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like they've marked the bad cells:
    [​IMG]

10. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    shopping list

Now *that's* what I want for Christmas.

11. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Awesome pics

Those are really great pics. Only 2 bad cells (I assume NG means no good) will take the whole battery down?

12. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Titus37, thanks for taking the time to post about your experience and keeping us updated (and for those nifty pics of a hybrid battery)!

I have to say the price of the hybrid battery was an issue of concern for me when I was shopping around for a car and considering the Prius. I was told by a couple of dealerships (yes, salesmen, yes - I know - their lips were moving, I shouldn't have believed them) that even if the hybrid battery needed replacing outside of the warranty period it would only be around $1500 to $1700. It's rather disappointing to see from a couple of PriusChat members that the real price is closer to $3000 to $4000 (barring any hush money from Toyota). I would've still gotten the Prius even if I had been aware of that before but it is a rather rude awakening.

13. titus37

titus37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I got a call from the service manager of my local Toyota dealership on Friday afternoon. He said Toyota has agreed to cover 40% of the cost of the replacement battery. By my calculation that comes out to $1,194.05. I had to fax over a bunch of information: my receipts, proof of payment, and vehicle registration.

The Service manager told me this is the 3rd Prius battery he's had to replace, so I assume this type of repair will only become more common. Hopefully Toyota will get some kind of battery reconditioning program together sooner rather than later.

So, does anybody want to buy my old Hybrid battery? I've already had one offer, but since this was a major expense, I feel that I need to do my due dilligence. If you're interested, please send me a private message or click on my name to send me an email. Thanks!

14. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good news! $200 seems to be a somewhat reasonable price to pay for a replacement battery, IMO.

Yes, I would also assume that as more used batteries become available, it will become effective to essentially refurbish the packs by replacing under performing cells and then reselling the pack.

15. titus37

titus37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    That's how much Toyota paid! =)

The battery itself still cost a little over $2,000 after taxes.

16. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Eek! Too little coffee when I read your post. :)

17. titus37

titus37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I received a check from Toyota a couple of days ago. I don't have the exact amount in front of me, but it was about $1,250. They called it "goodwill money."

I'm happy to announce that Bob Wilson is buying my old battery. Hopefully he'll be able to get it back up and running again and will be able to help the next unfortunate soul who ends up with a dead battery.

So, I guess this ends my saga. I want to thank everyone again for their help and advice. I never would have thought to call Toyota to see if they'd do anything. That simple phone call saved me a lot of money. The Prius is running fine again. Hopefully it will continue to do so for many years.

Oh, one thing I forgot. When talking with the service manager at my local dealership, he said that this was the 3rd Prius whose battery needed to be replaced. I guess it's becoming somewhat common.

18. Bear68

Bear68 Member

Hey!! Lookit all the Elmer's Glue on the positive terminals!! SSC 40G!!
    This next comment may not make me any friends but.... I am so glad they didn't sell too many of the Gen 1 Prii.... I hated that campaign.

For those of you who might not be familiar with it, 40G was to correct for electrolyte leakage inside the battery case. The trail of corrosion would allow tiny amounts of voltage to "leak" to the case causing warning lights galore.

The Fix: replace the bus bars, add a little black (please pardon the term) "MaxiPad" under the positive terminals and squirt a white Elmer's Glue like substance into the tiny opening on top of each positive terminal and then dry it with a hairdryer.:rolleyes: No kidding... I still have an old hairdryer in my tool box....

BTW I did have to replace an HV battery that had had the 40G done 18 months before. The positive terminals were all nicely sealed. The negative terminals were now leaking.

In my opinion it was simply a bandaid fix to keep the cars going until they were sufficiently out of warranty or had suffered some other incident that would put them in the junkyard....
    Gen 2 batteries have seen no such issues to the best of my knowledge....

19. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How heavy is that thing?

20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A little more than a bale of hay. I've got one in the car port and will measure it when I put it in the work shed.

Bob Wilson