1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My central A/C is dead. Thankfully my President will pay almost 30%

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Dave_PH, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    to replace it.

I have no clue what the total cost is. We need big ones down here for a 2300 sq ft 1 story house. I guessing 5 ton or more. Minimum SEER 14.5 for the $1,500 tax credit.

Tax credit rules. ">= 8.2 HSPF/ >=14.5 SEER/ >=12 EER* for split systems"

Anybody have a guess what this'll cost? It looks like buying a car where nobody wants to disclose cost.

Life sucks, I just finished my taxes yesterday and found I'd get a tiny refund when I noticed it was getting warm in here.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Over 5 tons? Should probably replace the evaporator coil too, as a matched pair, I'd guess $4,500

How about the existing air handler? Single speed or variable speed?

3. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I don't know if it's single or variable speed.The coil was replaced 2 years ago thanks to the home warranty company. It's a very old unit so I don't know if I'll be forced to replace it all. I'll have to run the home warranty company through the ringer again. That's a whole story in itself. Never piss off someone who's irritated by the heat and has reasonable skills on the intertubes. Threatening them with a lawsuit didn't help but the threat of bad publicity got me a paid night in a hotel and then temporary units moved in while they got the parts.

I'm not looking for the best since I've got a lot of trees, an attic fan and no one is in the house weekdays. My entire annual electric bill is under $1,800 a year and I run a pool pump every day.

From a look at complete replacements for local people on Angies list I'm guessing that would be about $6,000 with some duct work. I'm glad I noticed that there's a $1,500 tx credit and I get another $100 rebate from the electric company (low compared to TECO).

I guess I'm lucky it happened early, I'm surviving on the ceiling fans for now and it'll drop to a comfy sleeping temp of 70 tonight. Too bad the pool is still to cold for a dip at 75. Too cold for a Floridian.

Wish I could do this stuff myself, I think I could cut the price in half with supplies from e-bay.

4. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Very perceptive. We installed central A/C/furnace last year and had to suffer through multiple sales pitches which included lots of up-selling. Finally, we said "screw it, we'll buy another fan." But a month later, as the recession began to bite, one of the bidders came back with a much more reasonable bid and we signed. Did good work on some tricky corners that previously didn't get good heat circulation. So I guess my point is don't jump too soon and make them squirm.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Especially if that someone gulps down Ambien like salted peanuts. Sorry, couldnt resist

Living in Florida, you're probably a lot more concerned about moisture removal than actual heat removal. A system that is purposely designed to extract humidity can be sized smaller than usual, with resulting energy savings

I have a Bryant Evolution system.

Evolution Control - Bryant

Evolution® System Fan Coil - Bryant

You'd think our brief summers wouldnt need A/C, but the humidity is nasty. I can program my system for priority dehumidification, so the system runs on the slowest possible speed

This allows me to keep a much higher setpoint, say at 76 F. The neighbors have to run theirs at 68-70 to try to wring moisture out of the house, so their homes are not only freezing cold, they're still damp to boot

6. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

I'm in Florida. A month from now I'll be a clump of mold in the corner.

7. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yep the temp here rarely goes over 90 but the humidity is brutal. You need A/C once it goes over 80

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have a lot of humidity, obviously, since we live in the middle of a big lake. We solve the humidity problem by having cold weather. We refer to it as being cold and damp. That sounds so much more inviting than hot and humid. :rolleyes: We have a 12x12 pitch on the roof, and we still grow moss on asphalt shingles on the north side.

Tom

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We replaced our central AC/heat unit 2 years ago with a Carrier high efficiency setup. We got rebates from both the electric and gas companies, but it was a little over $7k after rebates. No duct work, but everything else was replaced.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That cabin I used to have, I'd make a roaring fire in the airtight stove even in May, just to drive back the cold damp

Oh hell yes, same problem up here. Then in winter, if for any reason you have to climb up on the roof (Clean the fireplace chimney, knock the ice out of the plumbing vent stack, etc) the moss underneath the snow is so slippery you slip right off the roof

It helps to give a blood curdling scream as you slide off the roof. That let's the neighbors know they can raid your liquor cabinet

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Air handler, outdoor condenser, etc? Yeah, that sounds about right, the high eff units are pricey

Any difference in your utility bills?

12. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think it reduced the amount some (GF pays that bill), but the main thing is that we keep the house more comfortable after getting the new system. Plus it is a lot quieter than the old one.

13. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have a co-worker who just told me she spent $7,000 to redo the A/C and heating on her 1,300 sq ft house. I hope the saleman used a condom.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Compared to my neighbors, my HVAC uses 40-60% the natural gas and electricity their systems do.

Yes, the comfort factor is light years better. After going from a single speed (On full bore, or off) to a gentle variable speed unit, I'd never want another single speed system again

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At that price, I hope the salesman also bought her supper ....

16. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Rot-rho I'm hearing more and more prices in that range including another cow-irker with a 1,400 sq ft condo who paid $4,500 after all the rebates.

Sounds like the prices have been jacked up to swallow the rebates.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's what I also suspect. Hopefully, the iffy economic conditions will be an incentive for HVAC folks to be more competitive - or not

18. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Our old one was single speed and it is located in the center of the house, so it was very loud and annoying when it came on. Plus, the fan was wired into one of the 15 amp circuits used for the bedrooms and baths (house was built in 1958) so it would trip the breaker if the GF was using the hair dryer in the bath and the fan for the heat came on.

The end of the old system was when the compressor started tripping the breaker that it was on; the compressor was close to seizing when we finally bought the new unit.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, nobody wants to face a +$5,000 bill, but the new systems are very nice, efficient, and quiet

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    AC? We did our PV Solar under the 30% bailout proviso this year. You mean we can do HVAC too? All we really need is compressor/condenser as we've already done our heater & vents. Anybody know if just the AC side counts? . . . and if so, can you cite the provision? Thx mucho