1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My EV/HV mileage for 2 days round trip and continued updating with pics

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Paradox, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Piprius

Piprius Member of the cult of Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That is a fantastic wet shine. Just waxed? Zaino?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Thanks! I washed it yesterday and followed up with a synthetic high gloss spray detailer. I use Zaino but have not done it in like 4-5 weeks since I bought the car ( coat of z5 and a coat of z2).

I have always liked griots garage products but my new fav for washing and synthetic detailer are:

Glossworkz-AUTO WASH -Gloss Booster and Paintwork Cleanser ( 1 Gal)

HYBRID V7- Optical Select-High Gloss Spray Sealant & Detailer (1 Gal)

3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok. you've mentioned it twice now and I was talking to my friend about quick detailers today.. I took that as a sign about bought a gallon of the Hybrid V7.. thanks.. I think :p

4. mikenewmediary

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Regarding this thread:
    Paradox,
    Are you still using your regen method of switching while braking, and coasting?

Tracksyde,
    You mentioned you bought the H7 product, have you tried it?

Thanks,
    Mike

5. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not yet. I received it on Tuesday, I think. Ill try it this weekend if I can find a good spray bottle in my garage somewhere. I will tell you it smells like fruit punch though. May be the best smelling car care product I ever smelled.

I've been using the Meguires Pro Detailer quick detailer for years (the pink one that came in gallons). So it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

6. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Most definitely, on road trips I use EV to get me to the highway and then use it a bit more on the first stretch of highway since it's pretty flat. Once I have about 3 miles EV left, and because it is also right before a long uphill on a bridge, I switch to HV mode. Then for the next 180 miles or so I use the hop into EV mode for braking or downhill descents and then back into HV for cruise control cruising. By the time i get to my destination I usually regen something like 8-9 miles so I have a near full charge when I reach my destination. Then rinse and repeat. Even on a short drive, say 40 miles round trip, if conditions are right you can still recapture and stack a decent amount of mileage. It all depends on hills, braking etc.

I bought a spray bottle from them to just throw in (well I got 3 as part of the pack) and I like it mainly because you can spray a very fine mist with it. Just make sure whatever you use that the mister throws down a fine mist, you really don't need it sprinkled on like it droplets. The Griots Garage sprayers tend to do that more than mist...

In case you ever make another order from them: THE PROFESSIONALS SPRAY BOTTLE- CHEMICAL GUYS HEAVY DUTY SPRAYER BOTTLE (3 PACK)

2 people like this.
  7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I once thought this technique was used if Ev range had been exausted, but now I'm confused....
    How does this technique improve upon the regen, and associated EV range increase you would gain anyway, if just staying in HV mode( with EV range remaining) for braking and downhills?
    I see the benefit if you'd exausted your EV range, and were using the technique to get back some EV range, but I don't understand it if you have EV range remaining, since EV range will build anway staying in HV mode.
    THx

8. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It was my experience that whatever ev range I gained while in hv mode was used by the car to better mpg's after the gain and it would eventually drop to where it was before the gain. The method I use just allows stacking of the ev distance gain for use later without plugging in if you know plugging in will not be an option upon arriving at your destination.

1 person likes this.
  9. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    So in fact the purpose of this gaming is not to increase efficiency but rather increase EV opportunities for places it is advantageous?

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

It is how you want to look at it, describe it, use it etc.

I use it so when I get to my destination which I know I cannot charge at, I can drive around all the surface streets there in ev mode. If I didn't use my technique I would be out of ev range and have to use the engine all the time.

I wouldn't say it is not to increase efficiency. If I can get 20-22 miles ev range out of only plugging in once that increases my overall efficiency.

1 person likes this.
  11. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Those 9-10 extra miles (over the initial charge) are probably earned by using a bit more gasoline in the HV portions of the trip. If there is a net gain in efficiency? - it can only be checked for a particular driver and a particular trip.
    I am sure it is working for you, however, I suspect it is not a universal phenomenon for all trips and all drivers, otherwise, I believe Toyota would have make it the default method (stacking EV miles in HV mode rather than using charge opportunities to increase HV mode efficiency).

12. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

And I would agree with that, I never said go out and do this look, what I found lol. Bt at least they made the car able to do this if it helps people on their trips.

13. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you know you're making more charge-discharge cycles, by doing what you do, than needed. By doing so, you're shortening the life of your battery and gaining nothing.
    You could have easily switched to HV mode earlier and conserve those EV miles for the last part of the trip.

14. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I use the majority at the start of the trip, switch to HV with 2 left. I get to my destination with around 11. I use up 9 of those 11 going back down to 2. I go back up to 11 on the return trip and use all 11 on the last leg home. I didn't gain nothing. I cannot charge while up there and regened enough to do an extra 18 miles ev without plugging in.

I bought the car to use, not to constantly worry about using the battery. They would not design a battery which will not last the life of the vehicle; I wouldn't even say at a minimum the 3-4 years I will own it. I am enjoying my Plug-in very much and intend on using it the way it works best for me.

If one doesn't think stacking EV mileage when away from an outlet would benefit them, don't so it naturally. It is there to do if one wants to.

15. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like the idea and it's slick that you figured it out. I wonder what real effect, if any, doing so has on HV efficientcy. I can't imagine much.

Until someone drives one of these cars its hard to convey how amazing it is, in the way it operates.
    And being a previous Prius owner somehow allows you to appreciated what it's doing even more.

1 person likes this.
  16. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Recent trip to Virginia Beach. Naturally there were no outlets to charge down there so all I had was the initial charge at my house before leaving.

983.8 miles total. 55mpg overall. 51mph avg. speed. 69 miles in EV and 914 miles in HV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mister MMT likes this.
  17. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
  18. coach81

coach81 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model: