1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My MPG Results With Three Different Tires

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by The Critic, May 5, 2012.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had posted this in the tire thread, but I am guessing that few people saw so I decided to make a new thread.

In the 30,000 miles I have driven my Gen III, it has gone through three different sets of tires. Driving conditions during this entire time have been identical, and temperatures have been fairly constant. Therefore, I think my fuel economy data can be a good example of the impact that tire selection can have on your fuel economy.

I currently have 2400 miles on the Michelin Energy Saver A/S. These are the MPG stats, manually calculated.

Highest: 53.4
    Average: 48.2
    Lowest: 45.0

Standard Deviation: 2.4

In the 14,000 miles I had the Michelin Primacy MXV4, these were the mpg stats:

Highest: 50.1
    Average: 42.7
    Lowest: 37.0

Standard Deviation: 2.6

(I may be missing 2-3 tanks, so this is probably 90% of the fill-ups during the time in which I had the Primacy MXV4.)

Lastly, in the 14,000 miles that I had the OE Yokohama Avid S33d Tires, these were the MPG stats.

Highest: 51.7
    Average: 44.4
    Lowest: 37.7

Standard Deviation: 3.2

In conclusion, my findings about the Energy Saver A/S so far are as follows:

They are 8.6% more fuel efficient than the OE tires.
    They are 12.9% more fuel efficient than the Primacy MXV4 tires.

Also, the Primacy MXV4 tires are 4% less efficient than the OE tires.

At least from my data, it shows that tire choice can have a significant impact on fuel economy that is easily measurable. Please feel free to discuss and share your personal data. Also, I included the standard deviation because someone asked me to, but I am not sure how useful it is in this case.

Robert Holt, xs650, walterm and 8 others like this.
  2. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow interesting, u get much better mpg w/ Michelin energy savers. I'll keep that in mind next time I want to replace tires:). What are your tire pressures on each variation of tires, are they similar?

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Those are the tires I have. I'll be getting Nokian WRG's in December. I'll probably dump the Yokohama S33 and get the Michelin's in March 2013 when it's time to go back to regular tires.

Tempted to do it now for a 8% gain in mileage.

Thanks.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

We have Michelin Energy Saver Tires, 195x65x15, with all
    tires at 44 PSI max sidewall pressure as listed on side
    of tire.

61,000 miles on them and about 10,000 miles left of treadware.

I noticed a true 2-3 mpg increase over the Avid Yoko tires
    I replaced them with,even though those tires had 10,000
    miles on them and they were well broke in.

Yes, Energy Saver tires are fuel efficient tires and probably the
    most fuel efficient tires in the entire world

If anyone knows of another tire(s) of equal or superior
    mpg's please list them.

I did notice that the price of Energy Saver tires at Costco are now about $150.00 each for them, 195x65x15, before mounting and
    balancing, so your looking at about $650.00 for a set
    of four out the door, no sales tax in Oregon.....

2 people like this.
  6. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All tires were inflated to 38/36.

MB860 ? 2

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $150/ea. is way too much for this tire. With the $70 rebate the tire should be around $97/ea. which would keep the tire competitive. At the full retail price the fuel savings start to become a wash when compared to the ProContact, EP422 or AVID Ascend.

1 person likes this.
  8. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    $484 ($121/tire) through Tirerack, including shipping (From Reno to Pleasanton).

$113/per tire (+ $14 installation is that per tire or total?) at Costco.

9. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting.

$14 sounds like per tire

From site:
    Plus $14 installation package and $1 disposal fee per tire. Shipping and handling included.

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, per tire. I bought my Primacy MXM4s from Costco last year.

If purchasing from Costco make sure to wait until they offer the Michelin $70 rebate. They alternate betweenMichelin and Bridgestone every month.

11. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    YIKES!! Did the tires wear out in 14,000 miles or did you just switch because you didn't like them, or for some other reason?
    I have about 13,000 miles on my 2012 Prius and am hoping my OEM tires will last much longer than 14,000!!! I got 63,000miles from the OEM tires on my Insight (and they still had good tread left). I am hoping hypermiling will reduce my tire wear in the Prius too. Because tires have gotten so expensive.

12. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This seems wasteful to me and economically un-rewarding. to save8% fuel efficiency you swap tires at a price of $100 per tire? to make up that 8% fuel efficiency you have to drive more than the lifespan of the tires to save $400.(by my estimation 60kmi).
    Environmentally it's wasteful because just like doing frequent oil changes there's a carbon expense to swapping tires (or oil) before fully used.
    These products need to be manufactured, shipped, warehoused, shipped, warehoused. In the case of both oil and tires, both products then need to be brought back to point of purchase, and shipped again to recycling centers. Personally I don't understand purchasing an environmentally friendly vehicle, then observing decidedly non-enviro friendly ownership practices.

13. Insight-I Owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just discovered that manufacturing tires uses oil, roughly 7 gallons per tire:
    RMA: Rubber FAQs

14. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I replaced the tires for the sake of experimenting.

MB860 ? 2

Robert Holt and jjPrius like this.
  15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He didn't like the original tires and didn't feel they were safe. I don't blame him either. I swapped to a different tire upon purchase of my 2012. We were both credited a fair amount for the used tire. Good on Yokohama for helping us out.

You don't know TheCritic. He is an Asian Jew. :p

Seriously, he traded the tires for little out of pocket. Yokohama and Michelin worked with him to trade tires. As for the environmental stuff, I agree but not everyone does what's best for the environment. Even I, Mr. protect the environment for a living, traded in the awful OE tires for something else long before they were worn out. His efforts also helped to increase our knowledge of tires and fuel efficiency. Hopefully others will look at this information and decide on a much more fuel efficient tire. In the end he may have helped the environment by changing peoples minds on which tires to purchase for replacement. ;)

1 person likes this.
  16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except the Yokohama dB Super E-Spec which uses 80% less oil in production and to a lesser extent the AVID Ascend (orange oil) and Michelin Primacy MXM4 (sunflower oil). :rockon:

Some manufactures, like Bridgestone's Ecopia line, use recycled materials in place of new oil and/or rubber. Many manufactures are also building greener facilities or retrofitting their old facilities to become carbon neutral and reduce other pollutants.

dB Super E-Spec
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...installed-yokohama-db-super-e-spec-tires.html

AVID Ascend
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-fuel-economy/105546-yokohama-avid-ascend-review.html

Primacy MXM4
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/95554-michelin-primacy-mxm4-review.html

17. Insight-I Owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have OEM Goodyears on my Prius and have no problem whatsoever with them. Car stopped on a dime when pedestrians stepped out in front of me in the rain a couple of weeks ago. If I were driving like a banshee then yes maybe I'd want something else, but I'm not - I got the Prius for fuel economy, not sportiness. If I wanted sporty, I wouldn't just replace the tires, I'd replace the car as well!!

I wonder what happens to the used take-offs??

With the Insight-I, the OEM tires are special super-LRR Potenzas and nobody who has replaced them with anything else has been able to get within 5-10mpg of the mpg they were getting with the OEM's. Apparently the same is not true for the Prius, but depending on the wear I get with them I might consider replacing the OEM's with OEM Goodyears when the time comes.

I haven't seen reports of a high rate of crashes of Priuses with OEM tires, or any reports in driving mags that they are unsafe.

18. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My neighbor put this to me another way just this past sunday:
    "We're an american family....and as an American family we have the RIGHT to be as wasteful as we want. We use as much oil as we can, we don't recycle, we don't compost....that's what it means to be american"

19. Insight-I Owner

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So when they're worn out you can cut them up and eat them in salads.

1 person likes this.
  20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know you have stated this before but testing proves the Integritys are terrible in wet weather conditions. It's your choice to run a tire that stops some 30ft. further than competing tires. It's a good thing you are an aware driver and do not have any issues with them. Personally I didn't like them but at least they didn't tramline and pull you all over the road like the OE Yokohama AVID S33D (2010-2012 Prius). They were also less fuel efficient than many of the other newer LRR tires available so it is a good idea to replace them with something better once they wear out. Mine were well worn and passed the safe level of 4/32 when I replaced them. :)