1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My New PiP, introduction

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by aomC, Apr 6, 2014.

1. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Been a Prius driver since my 08 Touring, then got a 2012 Prius C Package 4 (included a couple of photos). I picked up this PiP from Dianne a week ago (a very smooth and friendly transaction). It's a Pure White with Advanced and Tech package, LED Doorsills and rear bumper applique. To that, I've added chrome side moldings, mudflaps, tint, Dianne disabled the reverse beep (peace!!!) and I've disconnected the spaceship noise maker. Originally, I wanted the Satin side moldings (since the door handles were satin), but they were 50 bucks more expensive and after noticing that the car had a nice mixture of Satin and Chrome already, I figured the chrome would help balance that, and the chrome helps it to to stand out more against the Pure White. Speaking of LEDs, sheesh, I though Xenons were good, these are incredible (though I hear they don't work as well in the rain as HIDs).

Coming from the Prius C, it's amazing the difference the in NVH, especially above 50 mph... (below it, it's almost the same), I don't have to shout when talking to someone at freeway speeds. I do somewhat miss my Prius C's moonroof, but the DRCC and seemingly larger glass area makes up for a bit. I find the steering wheel to be very light (Annoyingly so. I prefer the heavier steering of the C) and it also seems like the C has a bit more oomph (I can spin out the tires) and of course since it's lighter, it's a bit more tossable.

That said, the PiP's PWR button (which really should be called SPORT) makes it really much more involved to drive, the larger cabin is so much more comfortable and the fact that it comes with Power driver's seat, heated seats and adjustable lumbar support (the latter two I retrofitted to my Prius C), right of the bat, makes it great from the get-go.

The NAV system is great (Lexus quality images, vs. the C which is like it came out of 2005), Entune is cute, but I never used it and probably won't... I prefer my phone. Voice Command input in the C is much easier though, you just say "Destination... 123 anywhere st, Los Angeles, CA" and it finds it. You can also say "Find next Target" or "Find next Chevron" and it gives you a list by distance. It seems like on the PiP you have to enter each part of the address separately and there is no "Find Next... BRAND" option.. just "Find Next... CATEGORY" option. The dashboard info display (next to Speedo) is a joke, I don't know what 1980's Atari parts bin Toyota sourced that from! There could have been 15 different options that I think would have been better and just as or more reliable, it actually hurts a bit to look at it. The one on the C was a high res LCD that was very pleasing, but then this has been said before.

Overall, I'm super happy with it, and actually hope they extend the HOV stickers as I might consider buying the spouse one too! I will have my first HOV solo driving this coming week and can't wait... I already had the stickers when I bought it, but didn't need to really drive in the HOV last week. I expect based on last week's driving pattern to get about 550-600 range, I'll update it this week.

Attached Files:

GregP507, blkpriusgirl and drash like this.
  2. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    OH, and I'm one of the few that actually LIKE the green stickers. I also mounted them on some Car Bra film first, so I was able to really adjust them perfectly before they set. I love driving around the neighborhood and seeing other Prius w/o them, hehe.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to the pip club! congrats, all the best!(y)

4. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome and congrats on the new ride. The critique was very well put and something Toyota should pay attention to. Thank you.

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Congratulations on your 2014 Prius Advance w/Tech Package. Interesting, the differences in systems between the Prius and Prius C, with the C having some pluses. Curious about you comment on the LEDs in the rain. Was it from a reliable source? Daytime or night, or both? LEDs are the current best lighting technology. I've had factory xenons before, and my Prius PIP the LEDs. In my opinion, LEDs are best in all conditions.

6. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Don, it never really rains much in SoCal, so I'll probably not get much of a chance to test out the LEDs here, hehe! I heard it from several sources actually (including a Phillips Automotive Rep). It's also the reason that no OEM seems to have ever used HID or LED for functional Fogs (and usually stick to yellower halogens). It think it was something about it getting washed out, while halogen's yellower color tend to pierce through more of the water droplets (be it rain or fog).

7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Thanks for the reply. First time I've heard any negatives regarding LED headlights. Very well could be true regarding fog lights.

8. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on the PIP aomC! Very sharp with the chrome molding....
    I think you'll be extremely happy w/the LED headlights rain or fair weather. The fog's on the Prius are about as close to useless as you can get.

You may want to re-think your decision to disconnect the noise-maker.
    In parking lots the PIP is so stealthy I've had several occasions where ppl almost walked into the car while I was looking for a spot... and that's with the noise-maker working. In today's litigating society- if you did hit someone/someone walked into you the fact that you disconnected the OEM safety equipment certainly wouldn't help your case. It turns off at road speed anyway, so it's not annoying once you leave the parking lots.

rxlawdude likes this.
  9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I would 100% concur with this statement, not to mention the moral/ethical reasons safety is more important than vanity.

rxlawdude likes this.
  10. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) Don't ask, don't tell. It would take a sharpe ear to realize it wasn't function if something were to happen. If it was disconnected. it would be reconnected once I got back home.

aomC likes this.
  11. aomC

aomC Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think it's not about vanity (the noise actually gives me a migraine when I hear it while pulling into my garage, same with the reverse beep).

My problem with it is that it's not really loud enough from the outside to be of help and it only works when moving. I've actually not noticed a hybrid behind me (while trying to load my trunk and they're pulling up for my spot) until I've looked and only then noticed the subtle sound and if I'm driving I think my horn is much louder. :)

Also, remember that there is a decade of Prius w/o the VPNS, no issues there. I won't lose sleep over it, as both a driver and a pedestrian needs to be on the lookout. Just as if I were on a bike (which also makes no noise, but can be very dangerous around inattentive pedestrians).

12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn't like the low-res LCD display at first, but I'm sure it's less distracting and easier to look at than a hi-res display. I don't know whether it's a product of shrewd design, or just being cheap by Toyota.

14. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll go with the "being cheap" theory...

15. Mrpcar

Mrpcar Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Question on the noise maker, I noticed that's it's located differently from our other prius 3 non-pip

Where is it on the pip?

Thanks

16. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I actually like the electrical noises, like the whine when you are applying regenerative braking. Not so for the backup beeper; I had them change it to one beep. It is a concern however, that pedestrians may not hear you coming, therefore it's incumbent on us to toot the horn once in awhile.