1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My new Prius 2010 - Teinted windows & Bumper/houde stone chip protectors

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by iFreedom45, Aug 18, 2009.

1. iFreedom45

iFreedom45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone,

I should be receiving my new Prius 2010 next week. :)

I have 2 questions:
    ==============

- I would like to have Teinted windows

- I would like to install some kind of bumper/houde stone chip protector.

I ordered the white Prius basic model. Dark teinted windows would look nice on this white color, plus I am being told it prevents the car from getting hot too !!

The questions:
    ----------------
    - Teinted windows: on cars I see on the roads often turn out with discoloration and with balloons in them over time. Do teinted windows prevent over heating inside the car ? and what brand are recommended ? :confused:

- Bumper/houde stone chip protector: Toyota sell a stone chip deflector for approx. 125$/Can. Third party transparent plastic tape that is installed on both bumper and houde to prevent stone chip, but it is much more expensive 600$/Can. Does anyone have any opinion ? :confused:

Thanks for your help,
    Dan

2. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If the stuff in a can is as I remember, it is very rough textured and intended for the lower rocker panel area, not for the bumper or hood. I negotiated body side molding and the film stone protector as a part of the deal when I bought my new Prius a few weeks ago. The clear film is almost undetectable unless you are standing right up against the car.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The paint scratches easily. Get as much of the car covered in VentureShield or 3M as you can. My minimum recommendations: area around door handles, front fenders & bumper, hood, top of rear bumper.

4. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I liked the look of the Toyota Canada hood deflector and planned on ordering it when I ordered the side body molding. But the size meant UPS freight instead of ground prices...and a local dealer had a non-OEM here that looks just like it for $80 (exc install).

Will be installed Friday with BSM (no drilling or screws) so I will post a picture. I know purists will say thumbs down, and it does not protect the area below (my CRV does not get hit there - its on the hood) but I had one on a little Toyota 2x4 pickup in the 90s and it looked like new when I sold it.

5. iFreedom45

iFreedom45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for your reply. I also would like to get the hood deflector, BUT the a friend was telling me that it will affect the cars aerodynamics and this is should NOT be installed on a Prius ???

What do you think ?
    Thanks,
    Dan

6. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could loose .5 to 1 MPG, which I would rather have then a bunch of chips. There are a couple of postings in 09 that you can do a search where members put it on (but did not find pics). The debate about aerodynamics has come up about body side molding, believe it or not :D So maybe I will loose a whole MPG which is ok since I am not someone who is trying to get 55 or 60 (admire the folks who have the P driving down to a science).

Lower MPG has been discussed much more widely about occurring if one changes the tire brand or size. There is a big group of posts in Gen II about overall paint quality and hood chips you may wish to check out. I personally, don't like the film, since I can see it where the port installed it by the bottom of the back doors. Maybe just a bad install but... Bras, if you can find, have their own issues if left on permanently, so went with the deflector.

7. msvenable

msvenable New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi; did you have the hood protector installed? I purchased one and got a little leary of installing it because it was so unlike all the SUVs I've installed them on. Let me know how you like it. This one has adhesive items you HAVE to install on the hood itself that they say does NOT damage the paint.....where did you purchase your hood protector? Thanks in advance! I've had my 2010 for about 2 months and do love it. My window rain shields should come in Monday. I plan to install those also.