1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

My Nissan Leaf Experience after Owning Two Prius Models

Discussion in 'Nissan/Infiniti Hybrids and EVs' started by lencap, May 15, 2013.

1. lencap

lencap Junior Member

I originally bought a 2007 Prius Touring edition - loved the combination of features, especially the brighter headlights and modestly improve handling. I drove it for nearly 25K miles over two years, not a single problem. Wonderful car, met my expectations fully. Sold it in 2009 when gas prices spiked and hybrids were in short supply. Couldn't turn down the price I was offered, which allowed me to swap into a 2009 Mini Cooper and put money in the bank on the deal.

Moved into a 2011 Prius after tiring of the Mini Cooper. It was a fun ride, but after the ride became challenging over time - short wheelbase, felt every pebble on the road. The 2011 Prius surprised me greatly. All of the little things that bothered me in the 2007 version were fixed in the 2011 model. Better range, stronger battery allowing for more extended runs on battery power only (nearly 2 miles on my ride to work), better power up the hills (ICE didn't turn on nearly as often). The interior was a bit better, but I wasn't a big fan of the "floating" shelf console design. After 2 years and 26K miles of driving again nothing at all to complain about. Avg. MPG during my ownership was a real 48.8, up over 2 MPG from the 2007 version. No repairs, just routine service. Fabulous car in every way.

But, and there is always a but, I became interested in a true EV and the Nissan Leaf was on my radar for 2 years. I drove it a few times, but each ride was limited to 5 miles or so - not enough to get the feel for the car (it was in short supply and dealers were not offering rides - I got my ride from the Nissan Leaf demo rides that were company sponsored). I liked the idea of it, but the 3.3KW charger was a VERY slow system that limited the car's flexibility for my needs. The heater was also an issue, it was essentially based on a toaster design - resistance heating and it really hurt the car's range. Those two issues were killers for me, not to mention the price.

Imagine my surprise when I tried out the 2013 model two weeks ago. The charger was upgraded to a 6.6KW version, cutting the charging time in half. The EV management system was updated as well, extending the range and improving efficiency. The stock range rose to over 80 miles, and that was real range, not wishful thinking. The car's electric heater was completely redesigned to a heat pump! The battery drain is far lower than the original, adding to the effective range. A/C is also worlds better and also far more efficient. All in all, the problems that kept me from the Leaf were no longer there. My daily commute is under 20 miles and my city is "green" with lots of free/low cost charging stations available 24/7. Add to all of that the price drop made available by shifting production to the US instead of Japan. I didn't want to buy the car, fearing resale value and battery depletion, and apparently Nissan realizes that. The lease I got was just over half of the initial prices offered in 2011.

The Leaf rides very well, batteries are low to the ground, and the ride is "firm" without being boring. The SV model, the middle level, offers all that I want and puts a smile on my face. That doesn't mean I don't love the Prius, nor does it mean that I won't buy another one at some point. The Leaf is still distance challenged ("range anxiety" is the term), but the 2013 is FAR better than the car that was released in 2011. Like the Prius the updates and changes are significant and makes the car a better vehicle. After considering everything I leased the Leaf and sold the Prius.

If your commute is short, and you want to experiment with a pure EV, the Leaf may be for you. Incidentally, I tried to buy a Prius Plug in, but they are still very limited and prices are typically inflexible. Add to that the rebates and other Leaf discounts and the Leaf winds up with a far lower monthly payment versus the plug in Prius, even though the cars are not all that far apart similarly equipped.

Again, not bashing the Prius -- I loved both of mine, but the Leaf is something different. And for me the difference is entertaining, and fully matches my driving needs.

DaveinOlyWA, xs650, fotomoto and 4 others like this.
  2. lencap

lencap Junior Member

I've owned the Leaf for two weeks as of today. Traveled 383 miles and my total electric use is $7.04, but some of that is at free public access stations. My range anxiety has greatly abated. Car is entertaining and fun at the same time. Different feel from the Prius with full torque available all the time. Acceleration 0-30 is better than the Prius, or at least feels stronger. That's very welcome in my daily commute. No problem holding 70 MPH on the highway, but range falls slightly. A/C very good, charging time very quick versus my expectations - the upgraded charger is well worth seeking out. I can control charging and A/C on my smart phone with a free Nissan app. No complaints at all - still on my Leaf "honeymoon".

I'm impressed, and you may be too. Still a Prius fan - after all the Prius isn't range bound and never let me down. I also tried the Volt, RAV4EV and the Ford Focus Ev - for me the Leaf beats all of them. I'd love a 85KW Tesla, but in the real world I strongly recommend the Leaf. Leases are very good deals.

Finally, if your commute is short, or if you can access 240 volt public chargers you may very well be perfectly happy with the standard 120 volt factory EVSE (a fancy name for battery charger). It works fine for me.

3. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on your LEAF!
    That electric drive is simply amazing. I truly believe that will greatly expand the market for plug in vehicles.

4. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Prius owner gone Leafer

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to clarify, an EVSE is not a battery charger. It is a power pass-thru to the battery charger that is located inside the car.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the Leaf report, coming from a Prius afficionado like you it gives us a better calibration point than some random report.

6. lencap

lencap Junior Member

Agreed, ESVE is an acronym which is short for Electric Vehicle Service Equipment. I referred to it as a battery charger to shorten the post. Wsbsteven is correct, the charger is actually inside the Leaf - that's why I wanted the 2013 Leaf with the upgraded charger.

The EVSE is designed to safely pass through the power to the car's onboard charger. A Google search will help you find all you want to know on the topic.

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Full power EV is amazing isn't it. (y)

drinnovation likes this.
  8. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank for sharing your leaf experience. If I only had a short distance to work, I should have bought a Nissan Leaf. I have heard good experience from Leaf owners other than the "distance anxiety".

9. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a question on the 2013 leaf. My GF has a 50 mile round trip commute, mostly 60 mph. Do you think the new leaf can make the daily trip on one full charge every day?
    Thanks

10. wsbsteven

wsbsteven Prius owner gone Leafer

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Brand new Leaf in the Summer - No problem
    Brand new Leaf in the Winter - Should be fine
    Four year old Leaf in the Summer - No problem
    Four year old Leaf in the Winter - Might be a problem

If she had an S model with the resistive heater, she might have range issues on days of ice & snow as the car ages. I'd recommend if she did want a Leaf to do a 2 year lease so she can see how it works for her. The SV and SL models have a better heater installed that uses less power so they would recommended for someone that likes to be warm. If she could charge at work or some point, it would be a non issue.

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

a "bit" of a late response. did she ever get a LEAF? Nissan is coming out with degradation resistant batteries. how well they will work is anyone's guess but the newer SVs have a much more efficient heating system which will lessen the impact of cold weather on the LEAFs range. As for me, I am seeing a small range boost in my 2013 over the 2011. Mine was one of the last 2013's built so it likely has 2o14 battery chemistry. Either way; I FREQUENTLY drive much farther and my options are stop and charge on the road (about 2-3% of time) or simply drive slower to boost my range.

Now before you tell me you will get run over if you do, try it first. You might be surprised at how much company you have.
    Obviously you only want to do this on multi-lane roads