1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Navigation on prius worth it ??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kennyyuui, Jul 15, 2014.

1. kennyyuui

kennyyuui Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So long story short, my 2010 prius got pass down to my sister who in need of a car and now I'm in the market for a new one. The prius have serve me well for the pass 4.5 years so I'm gonna go for another one, the 2014 model.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going for the base 2 model as I don't really see the need for backup camera. The feature that got me debating is the navigation. I'm currently using garmin navi and it is a great little device, so my question is does the base 3 navigation system worth spending the extra cash on ??

Ohh and for those that use 3rd party navi on their prius, where do you guys put/hang it ?? Since the new prius come with the display screen for all model now, I'm at a lost to find a good place to hang the navigation

Ps: would also appreciate it if you guys can fill me in on what has chance from the 2010 to the 2014. Does the 2014 have a better version of the battery and what not ?

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota Prius Nav systems are horrible for the price you pay. Stick with your Garmin and use all the money you saved not buying that package...for gas. The Garmin is far superior and cheaper. ;) YMMV

NR427 and hybridbear like this.
  3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My Prius nav works well, but frankly so does the nav on my iPhone.

I do like the traffic information on my Prius nav.

4. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the Prius V Three, which simply has the navigation in the screen standard. I think it's great. We never use our iPads or Garmin or the older Tom Tom. I've done many longer trips with it and it works perfectly. I also think it's a hidden gem since Toyota never advertises it, probably because they have a very expensive optional product.

5. situationalawareness

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    And just to throw it in there, the backup camera is very helpful. I was sold on it immediately, as it lets me drive backwards with surprising aim and agility. I can back up to the point of just 1/2 inch from my mower without a worry in the world.

6. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I ended up with the Nav because it comes standard on the plug-in, and at first I really disliked it. Having lived with it for a year, I've gotten a bit more used to its quirks (and the latest Entune update finally increased the GUI speed which helped a lot) and I'll now usually use the on-screen nav rather than that on my phone because it's good enough and it's nice to have it in front of me without having to suspend the phone from the dash or windshield.

That said, I don't know how much if anything extra I'd pay for it. The backup camera, while similarly low quality, is quite helpful both for safety and especially for parking.

Have you considered a plug-in Prius? The Plug-in is equipped about like a Prius 3, and with incentives it's generally available for about the price of a regular 3 or a bit less. Plus, you being in California, it will get you an HOV sticker.

Good luck!

7. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    :eek:

8. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And the backup camera is standard in many (most) cheap cars now.

9. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The way the option packages are set in order to get the sunroof you have to get the GPS. Keep in mind that yearly updates are $199. You can buy a new Garmin every other year and be money ahead. Not worth it.

situationalawareness likes this.
  10. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)I prefer a integrated infotainment system and I'll gladly pay the difference. Not always the best systems or most up-to-date. Very few actual yearly updates so a yearly upgrade is a waste. Maybe every 3-5 years.

11. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fact is, most of the integration is standard on the less expensive models. I drove a rental Corolla that had the same navigation as mine.

12. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I agree!!

NR427 likes this.
  13. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've had mine for 5 years, and 90k miles - it always got me where I needed to be. It doesn't know the traffic secrets that I do But, if I know the secrets, I don't need the nav, right? I updated it after 2-3 years, but was able to find the data file online to create my own disk. I"ll bbe looking for an update again, soon. Anyone know the latest version?

#13 mgb4tim, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  14. Wilf Brim

Wilf Brim Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2014 Prius 4 without nav, and I don't miss it. I just can't justify the cost, either upfront or annual.

A nice Garmin GPS with lifetime maps is going for 240 at Amazon. If I want to use the in dash screen I can plug in my phone (iOS) or just connect via BT with Android. Even easier is to use the turn by turn GPS on GoogleMaps and get the audio via BT on the car audio system.

Another thing to consider: how long are you going to keep this vehicle? I don't trade my in anymore: I expect to run them until they die. As such, the tech in the car is going to laughably outdated long before I give up driving it. Or at least that is what I hope. As such, keeping as much of the tech out of the car is better, as it is more easily upgradable.

15. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It would be nice if the same engineering excellence that went into the car was also apparent in the electronics. It seems to be just "good enough" for the car. I don't have access to Entune, being outside the Lower 48, and the other features seem to be lacking compared to what's available from other manufacturers.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Get the backup camera. It'll be legislated in a few years and it may help with resale if your car has a backup camera in a world where every new car will have a backup camera

2. You can go either way. The 6.1" Display Audio System w/ nav that's standard on the Three and higher will look familiar as the "Maps" app has a similar colour scheme to your Garmin. It'll also bring in Entune and traffic information as well as 3-door SKS on the Three. If you had the 7" Denso unit on your old Prius, it will look different on the Three. (That 7" high resolution unit is now only available as an option on the Four and Five).

I have the 7" unit on mine and I use it more often than my TomTom. The reason is that I usually leave the TomTom at home unless there's a specific reason for me to take it along (e.g. road trip) so if I need to navigate somewhere, I will use the built-in nav. In addition, I find it easy to glance at the screen and see the road map ahead if I want to make a detour around an incident - I can see which roads are dead ends and which roads will connect me back to the main road ahead of time.

That being said, you can also stream your instructions from your phone's Google Maps or Apple Maps via the car's speaker if you have it paired via bluetooth. At least with my setup, the music will fade before the instruction is spoken and then resume in volume afterwards so that is another option for navigation in addition to your Garmin.

TL;DR - Unless you want a built-in system that's always there when you need it, you can probably just stick with your Garmin or phone.

As for mounting options, when I use my TomTom, I mount it on the lower left hand side of the windshield (so left of the steering wheel, far enough that I can't reach the screen without leaning forward; for the purposes of the distracted driving law). The wire will run underneath the steering wheel to the charger in the flying bridge tray.

Alternatively, you can mount it ahead of you since the instrument panel is in the centre and use the nav like a HUD :)

Yeah and it appears they've saved some of the good stuff for the Denso unit (i.e. Toyota's own nav system and not the 6.1" Display Audio from Harman Kardon)

Toyota - Entune - Click Navigation and watch the demo video. Quite a number of new features over my 7" Denso unit from 2009.

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's one tactic to make what you've got appear better; degrade everything else it might be compared to.

Some of the trolls who come to this forum use a variation on that method.

18. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I didn't particularly want the nav, but I'll use it now that I have it. I've had 2 Garmin Nuvi's and I'll take the newest one with me, but I'm going to try to do the next trip in Aug/Sep with the built-in only. I love the integrated speech that fills the cabin with the instructions so I don't miss them. The major problem with my Garmin is that I tend to play with it too much while driving, just like Gas Buddy on my phone, and I'm hoping the built-in will break me of those habits. That said, built-in nav is rarely worth it from a financial perspective. However, finances are not the only consideration. Heck, if my Prius purchase was based on finances, we'd be driving something else with a lot more power and comfort.

19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm?

20. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We had to get Nav to get the sun roof. We did not want it. Coming from a 2013 Dodge Dart with the 8,7" U-connect Nav screen, the Toy Nav is totally stone age in comparison. Toy should look at what Dodge has in its U-Connect, and try to emulate it. If you do not want the sun roof, for sure skip the Toy Nav and use a portable nav..