1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help changing HID bulb in 2005

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jefe, Nov 7, 2014.

1. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to replace my driver-side HID bulb. I watched videos, read the tutorials, etc. But for the life of me I can't get the waterproof housing cap off. I have already broken off one of the fins trying to turn the thing.

Any advice on getting the cap off? Which direction does it turn? I was assuming it was just like opening a jar.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Counterclockwise (as viewed from the firewall toward bumper cover) according to the service manual.

Have you removed the headlight assembly from the body or are you trying to remove the cover while the assembly is still bolted in place? If the latter, this might be the reason you're having difficulty getting a sufficient grip on the cover to rotate it.

#2 jadziasman, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  3. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was trying to remove the cover with the assembly still bolted. My hope was to be able to slip the bulb out and in without removing the headlight assembly, per several youtube videos I've seen doing this.

4. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen Luscious Garage's video on how to replace the bulb with the assembly still in place. Straightforward enough but too challenging for a first timer to do I'd say without "complications". That would definitely apply to me. Oh boy, would it ever!

Luscious Garage also has a five minute video that shows how to get the bumper cover out of the way so that the assembly can be removed. Obviously easier to see everything you're working on that way.

I plan to remove the assembly when the driver's side HID bulb fails on my 05. The bulbs were replaced on the driver and passenger sides by the previous and only other owner of my Prius over 100K miles ago (the stealership REALLY ripped her off too). So the time for replacement might be "overdue"? I have a new bulb in my parts collection ready to install when the time comes.

#4 jadziasman, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  5. jefe

jefe Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I GOT IT!!.. 3rd time's the charm. It just took determination to get that cover rotated. once it rotated, it popped right off. Then it was pretty straightforward from there.

This is actually the second bulb replacement for me. I replaced both HIDs about 2 years ago, and the driver side just burned out again a week ago. Last time I put in some no-name aftermarket bulbs so shame on me. This time I used the Phillips bulb on Amazon ($39). Hopefully this one lasts longer.

The last time I just took my bulbs with me to my regular mechanic and he changed them for me. This time I thought I'd give it a go on my own. I was frustrated after 2 attempts that I wasn't able to get past the cover. But this time it worked out.. WOOT!!

6. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome! Hopefully the new bulb lasts longer for you this time around. The replacement bulbs in my 05 have been functioning for the last 5 years.