1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help on Warning light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fahad, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Fahad

Fahad New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I bought a toyota prius 2008 few weeks back. have done only 2500 km. Today I received few warning lights on the dash of my car. I need help what it may mean. I am attaching images for any help.

[​IMG]

On pressing details the following information is shown in japanese.

[​IMG]

I was only a km away so I drove it back home and tried restarting it after 3-4 hours and it showed the same problems. Please note I havent changed oil/filter etc since my Japanese exporter said they have changed it at their end.

I live in Pakistan and hybrid cars arent formally launched here. So I doubt there will be any help available. when my car is off, it shows a blinking signal (in red) of an image of a car with a wrench picture, any help would be highly appreciated. thanks

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most Auto parts stores and auto repair shops have a relatively inexpensive device that plugs into your car and tells you what the error code is... In the US most all auto parts stores do this code reading service free of charge because it only takes a few minutes.

Once you know what the error code is you can do a search for what the problem is and the least expensive way to fix it either on here or elsewhere.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious?

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The light on the right side means your tire pressure is low on one or more tires. Otherwise you have some kind of "check engine" alarm. You can buy an OBDII code reader from a variety of sources online, sometimes as low as $25. It plugs into a standard connector just under the dash. All US cars since maybe 1996 have the connector, so most any decent car repair shop could read them. The OBDII reader will also reset the alarm. Amazon.com: Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles: Automotive

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well the first 2 things we tell everyone with those codes is check the 12 volt aux battery in the trunk and then check the Inverter Coolant reservoir for fluid movement.

Get a DC voltmeter and remove the black fuse cover in the engine compartment on the right.
    There's a red plastic cover. Flip that up. Thats the 12 volt positive terminal to the little 12 volt battery in the trunk that drives everyone nuts. Get in the car and push the start button twice without putting your foot on the brake. That's the accessory mode. That puts a load on that 12 volt battery. We want to to see what the battery voltage is under load. While the car is in that mode get out and check the voltage on the the red terminal to ground. Anything lower than 11.9 volts and you need a new battery.

Next is checking the Inverter Coolant pump. Turn the car on normally until it says "ready" on the dash. Get out of the car and open the Inverter coolant tank cap. With a flashlight look into the coolant reservoir. You should see pretty good turbulence / movement of the fluid proving the pump is working good and keeping the Inverter & Trans cool. If in ready and the fluid is just sitting there you need a new pump. Very common issue.

Report back.

HaroldW likes this.
  5. Fahad

Fahad New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    edthefox5: Thanks for the detailed suggestions - can only get voltmeter tomorrow - but I did check it through Prius diagnostic tool and my aux battery was showing 12.4v - So I guess battery is fine. Problem seems to be in coolant side - there was hardly any coolant left in the white box - i filled some coolant in it and still the lights were displayed - there isnt any turbulance in the coolant and I guess the problem is with the inverter pump. I'll get it confirmed in a day or two.

PriusCamper: thanks for your message - there was a 3 day holiday here so I am not able to go to any dealership till tomorrow. but knowing error codes can be read by the tool used for other cars - I would be able to isolate the problem soon.

rjparker: thanks but the signal on right was because of footbrake/old handbrake. buying the scan tool seems like a good option. will that soon.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The correct coolant to be used is Toyota Super Long Life Coolant, which has a pink color. If you use lesser quality coolants you may end up with inverter coolant passages clogging in the future.

After the powertrain has cooled down, see whether you can make the car READY without any warning lights. If yes, then the only problem is the inverter coolant pump. If warning lights still appear then you may have an inverter failure, caused by the cooling system failure.

An inexpensive OBD-II code reader can only read powertrain DTC produced by the engine ECU and perhaps the hybrid vehicle ECU. It will not read DTC produced by other ECUs such as skid control, traction battery, SRS, air conditioning, body, etc.

So, if you purchase such a code reader, don't expect much from it. If you want a full-featured code reader you will have to obtain Toyota's Techstream Lite (which runs on a Windows laptop) or its equivalent.

[email protected] likes this.
  7. Fahad

Fahad New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick Wong : I finally found that my coolant wasnt empty as I used only quarter of fluid to fill it up. Anyhow I got the error code from Toyota dealer here - i am attaching the picture for reference - it seems THE famous P0A93 - Inverter Cooling System performance error

[​IMG]

I have yet to obtain the sub-code which might take till Monday. Meanwhile I found the following helpful link/pdf explaining how to proceed with this problem.

Let me ask few dumb questions -

1- although it says Inverter Cooling System Performance error - people on internet have compounded it with failure of INVERTER (which costs too much) - My car still works fine and i drove it to the dealership - can I still have inverter problem ?

2- Normally when i turn off my car and open the front immediately - there are small sounds for 2-3 minutes - is it normal for Prius ?

3- How to I reconfirm that its not a bubble or clogging in the water circulation system (will save me from buying pump which is difficult to obtain from here) ?

8. Fahad

Fahad New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P.S: My car shows the exclamation marks with triangle and car shape even when I start it after 8-10 hours.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. If your car drives OK after the powertrain has cooled down, then it seems likely that the inverter and transaxle are both OK.

2. You'll need to say where the sounds are coming from. Perhaps the engine is just cooling down and making tick sounds as metal parts contract while they cool down?

3. Make the Prius IG-ON (from IG-OFF, press the POWER button two times without depressing the brake pedal.) You should see all the dashboard warning lights turn on. Open the hood, and look for the inverter coolant pump which is behind the headlight assembly and in front of the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter. As you stand in front of the car and face the front grille of the car, I am referring to the headlight which is to your right.

If the pump is running you may be able to hear it. A properly running inverter coolant pump sounds like an aquarium pump and you will not hear air bubbling. If you don't hear the pump running, then it is dead. This is a common problem.

Perhaps you can order the part from a Toyota dealer in Singapore? Or if necessary, maybe you can find a 12VDC electric pump from local sources.

[email protected] likes this.
  10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Getting all the air out of the system is a problem just filling up does not always work. Check posts on replacing inverter pump for information.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes airlock is a problem for sure. Please be aware there's no reason for that tank to be that low unless you have a leak somewhere or some other ugly event happened.

if it was me I would start fresh. jack the car up on jackstands and get under the car and examine everything carefully. Take pictures and post any questions. Then dump the Inverter coolant by opening the coolant dump bolt on the trans. Careful as there are a couple under there and its important you open the right one. The other one is trans fluid dump bolt and the trans fluid should be changed soon too someday.

But open that coolant bolt and while its draining take the cap off the reservoir. Remove the front plastic top engine cover.
    You will see the Inverter Coolant air petcock right in front of the Inverter. At the bottom left corner. Open that
    petcock too while its draining. Its crazy tight so you have to hold the whole assy with a wrench while you turn the petcock open. After its done draining replace the coolant dump bolt underneath. Close the petcock. Fill the reservoir up with coolant. After you fill it up open the petcock up a little and see if any air comes out. Close it. Put car in READY. Check for turbulence in reservoir or listen carefully after engine shuts off at the pump for loud gurgling sounds. You must have pump sounds or pumps not running for whatever reason.

If pump sounds open petcock. Air should start coming out with fluid. Keep filling fluid up and opening the petcock till just fluid is running out and pump is humming uniformly. Its a back and forth deal. Fill...open petcock.
    Do this till pump is very quiet and No gurgling. Top off reservoir to fill line. It helps to highlight fill line with black magic marker. Just highlight raised letters. Done.

12. Fahad

Fahad New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car finally gets into ready mode without any warning lights - I guess its the inverter coolant pump problem only as there is no turbulence in the coolant. can someone confirm me the part number for inverter pump - as per online search it seems to be G9020-47031.

I will have to get the part from other city or perhaps from abroad so I must be cent percent sure about part number.

P.S: its a 2008 prius.

13. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't confirm part number, but you might want to to get in touch with whoever the regional Toyota representative is in your area / nearest dealership (likely India) and give them your VIN# to see if you qualify for the inverter pump recall. If your car is covered under the recall they'd likely work out a discount or no charge for the part... Good Luck!!! Hopefully this will be the only significant repair you car will ever require.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that part number is correct. For your information, in the US, the list price of that part is US$116.09.

I had SSC-A0N performed on my 2007 in April 2011 and the part number shown for the inverter coolant pump is 04000-32528. I do not know why that part number was used.

Since OP purchased a JDM vehicle exported from Japan, I doubt that Toyota will recognize any responsibility to support that car. Same concept with North American Prius moved outside the US and Canada - you are on your own, no warranties apply.

I am not sure whether Indian businesses in general will provide support to Pakistan citizens, but I'll leave it to the OP to comment on that.

15. Fahad

Fahad New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry couldn't reply earlier as I was busy, Toyota has finally confirmed me that its the pump problem - my car starts normal now but shows the error after 3-4 km drive. Anyhow I have placed the order to get a pump and hopefully I will receive it in a week as its coming from Dubai.

thanks PriusCamper and Patrick -I guess the difference between the two is that G9020-47031 is a PUMP Assymbly and the 04000-32528 is the code for pump alone. Assymbly might add few connecting pipes - but thats a rough guess.

patrick: true - Toyota does not take responsibility of used imported cars here - they even told me to get pump by myself - and it is highly unlikely they would take any help from any indian counterpart - they are not responsible for this tech here - so they would prefer to say NO than to put themself in this hassle.

16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update, glad to hear you are able to order from Dubai, good luck with the repair.

Fahad and PriusCamper like this.
  17. Fahad

Fahad New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for the late update. My Prius is working fine now. Thank you everyone for the detailed help. It helped me a lot. Tx a bunch :)

KK6PD likes this.
  18. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats... Glad it was an easy fix!

19. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I really would not call it easy, considering the OP's location, great thread.
    Thanks for letting us know how it all turned out. Good luck with the car.

20. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Me too. So the OP can start enjoying the nice car. Welcome abord.