1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need immediate help deciding between used 2009 and 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Jnbrown, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My wife and I are looking for a Prius for commuting 40 to 60 miles per day in heavy freeway traffic.
    We looked at and test drove a 2009 and 2011 both with 20K miles and both priced around $19K.
    The 2009 has leather seats and navigation system. The 2010 does not.
    We felt the 2009 was better in the following ways:

Cabin felt more roomy with out the dashboard flowing between the seats.
    Also there was more headroom.

The leather seats where more comfortable than the cloth seats in the 2011.

The 2009 drove better. It was smoother and quieter. The 2010 felt jittery, bumpy and more road noise. Could be due a difference in tires I don't know but it was very noticeable. I think the tires were original on both. The 2009 had Goodyear Integrity which gets lousy reviews.

The advantages of the 2011 as I understand them:

3 mpg better mileage.

Doesn't have bladder gas tank.

Doesn't have HID headlights which cost $50 each to replace.

Doesn't have coolant thermos (not sure why this matters)

No belts (lower maintenance cost?)

Right now we are leaning towards the 2009 because the better more comfortable seats, better interior space and smother ride. I really didn't feel comfortable sitting in the 2011 cloth seats. do these outweigh the disadvantages?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Overall, the Gen 3 (2010+) is a superior car. There were LOTS of change between Gen 2 and 3, some things are optional. See Prius versions | PriusChat and a bunch of posts that follow, including the video.

Yes, the stock Goodyear Integrity tires are crap. You'll be glad to get rid of them once they're worn out (or earlier).

Per EPA, Gen 3 Prius is 4 mpg combined better (Compare Side-by-Side). However, the Gen 2 figures are AFAIK via adjustment from the pre-model year 08 test results and not a retest w/the updated EPA test.

Most who owned Gen 2s and switched to Gen 3 say the latter gets superior FE.

ConsumerReports.org - Most fuel-efficient cars - Gen 2
    Most fuel-efficient cars - Gen 3

CR on their tests gave both the same overall mileage but worse on Gen 3 on their harsh city test. (See last page of http://www.consumersunion.org/Oct_CR_Fuel_Economy.pdf for description of their tests vs. the old EPA test.)

3. charlie_rivera1

charlie_rivera1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The gen III (2011) has better technolgy than gen II (2009). Plus has a bigger engine 1.8 and really gets 50 MPG or more depending on how you drive it. I have a 2011 Prius IV, wich is the same as the 2010 and I love it. The interiors are better and honestly if you want a GPS nav system you can always add an aftermarket one like Ottonavi (around $500 - $600). Once you put it. you will not even tell that it is an aftermarket one. On the HID headlights, do not worry beacuse they will last almost forever or at least the years that you are planning to have the car. Leather seats? well this is a real plus but I personnaly would not buy the gen II (2009) just because of the leather seats. Again, you can add this later.
    GET THE 2010. This is what I would do!!!! Good luck on it

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No, they do not, at least not on the 06-09 Priuses w/D4R headlights. That's why there was Toyota Prius Class Action Lawsuit | Toyota Headlight Lawsuit | Girard Gibbs LLP.

The 04-05 Priuses that used D2R were longer lasting, it seems. See 04-05 (NOT 06-09) Prius owners w/HIDs - how long did they last? | PriusChat. As I posted there

Be glad that the bulbs are only ~$50 to replace. Toyota used to charge $300 for bulb only + labor. Some of them would pull the front bumper and previously, they'd also unnecessarily replace the ballast/ECU too (more $).

5. charlie_rivera1

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Another thing Toyota did better on the 2010 model is the headroom in the back seats. On 2010 there is more headroom for rear passengers. You will see this in every car review video for 2010 models.

6. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Why are we perceiving the 2009 has a smoother quieter ride even with crappy tires?
    The 2009 has MORE headroom at least for the front seats.
    Even if the 2011 is superior it has a crappy ride or something is wrong with the one we drove?

7. charlie_rivera1

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe because of the extras on the 2009 model. LOL

See this video to help you understand the difference.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be there is something wrong with the 2010. that's why you test drive used cars. you should reset the avg mpg and go for a drive to see how it's doing. the 09 is a great car, and if that's the one you like, i would buy it.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am a little confused about whether the OP drove a 2010 or 2011. Not that there's any difference between the model years, but it can play a role as to the price as a 2010 is older and (if mileage is the same) will have less warranty left (if any).

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here, he mentioned both several times. i do think the 11 eliminated some bugs in the 10. mostly creaks, squeaks and groans.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if some running improvements like that were made.

Oh yeah, the early '10s didn't have USB nor Safety Connect, but for '10s and '11s to have USB, you needed to have navigation anyway. I don't recall about Safety Connect.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guessing a 10, it's in the title.:whistle:

13. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Sorry for the confusion, it was a 2011 not 2010.
    Same dealer has a 2010 Prius IV with leather seats and 28K miles so we are going to try that one tomorrow.
    Thanks for all the responses.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    BTW, Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Prices for 2010 Prius / Toyota and 2G Prius (2004-2009) Standard and Optional Equipment (Some Countries) | PriusChat may help.

Back to the HIDs and all. HIDs no longer became a choice w/Gen 3. The only two headlights choices became halogens or LEDs.

As for headroom in the Gen 2 vs. 3, most (all?) Gen 3s have a height adjustable driver's seat. Gen 2 never got a height adjust. Maybe that's what you're seeing in terms of headroom?

BTW, what state are you in?

15. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am in California.
    You could be right, the overall height of the 2009 and 2011 are the same. Length and Width are very close.
    What I hated about the 2011 seat is that as you vary the height adjust it also changes the angle of the seat.
    I like to have the seat bottom with little or angle due to back issues and it was difficult to achieve that.
    Also the curvature of the seat back was way too much for me and there is no adjustment for that.
    I really would like to have lumbar adjustment and tilt adjustment. Hoping the Prius IV will help with that.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In the case, you should look for one that was bought, registered and operated in CA or other CARB states so that you get the 10 year/150K mile HV battery warranty and other benefits like 15 year/150K mile emissions warranty. You can get the warranty book for the Priuses in question at Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Technical Manuals by selecting the car in the upper right.

The long warranty also applies to Gen 2.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The video below by Toyota is the best Gen-II vs Gen-III comparison I have seen.
    It will probably convince you to go Gen-III (2011).
    However, it does not capture the subjective: per one Prius Chat member, the Gen-II fits like a second skin, the Gen-III feels like a car you are driving.
    But wait, if you go to say MA, NY, NJ, VA, MD by Nov. 5 you could possibly be talking new PiP for $22.5 after CA state and Fed rebates.

18. charlie_rivera1

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is really the best comparison video between Gen II and III.

19. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So we test drove the 2010 Prius IV with leather seats. Seats still have no adjustments other than lumbar, up/down and seat back. Still very uncomfortable. As much as we wanted a Prius I don't it is worth the mpg savings to be in pain during and after driving it. Will probably get another used Camry which will be quite a bit cheaper as well. Drove a new Camry hybrid, WOW nice car but can't afford it. I think the 2013 Prius has the better seats with power adjustments but again can't afford $28K for that.

20. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dont let the seats alone be the factor that makes you walk away from any potential deal - seats can be easily and affordably modified with added cushion AND added lumbar adjustment!