1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured New [Increased] Rebates on the Way for Electric Vehicles [in Ontario]

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Newsroom : New Rebates on the Way for Electric Vehicles

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  3. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Great news yesterday!

Ontario announced an increase to the government rebate for EV, from $5K-$8.5K, up to $6K-$10K, plus other bonuses to push as high as $14K!

Ontario offering $14,000 in incentives to people who buy electric cars

Newsroom : Ontario Making Electric Vehicles More Affordable

Previously, the PIP was eligible for the minimum $5K since it had a small battery, and under the new program, the 1st gen PIP should be good for at least $7K, which makes it virtually cost neutral with the regular Prius! Great news. Depending on how the pricing when the PIP2 is finally announced, it may even be *less* expensive if rumours of a larger battery are true and the pricing gap (about $5K on the Tech package) remains consistent.

On a personal note, my wife and I finally replaced her ICE Kia Rio with a Leaf *last week*, and since this announcement is retroactive to Jan 1, We will gladly take the unexpected $5500! Our plan was to replace her car now since her 2006 car really needed to be, while I wait out for the new PIP to come out (and squeeze every last KM out of my loyal Prius:)). This announcement makes it all the more logical! The Leaf is also a fantastic car.

The PIP may finally become a common sight on Ontario roads in 2016!

Cheers!

Kevin

bisco and Tideland Prius like this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

Sarge likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks for moving my post, Tideland, I looked in the PIP forum since I thought that was the most relevant place to post that news and I didn't see anything more never thought of looking in this forum!

Cheers.

bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    But it wasn't Tideland who moved it..... ;)

bisco, bwilson4web and Tideland Prius like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @Sarge , your post reaches Paradox first cause he's closer so he gets to move it first ;)

bisco likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Lol, guess I shouldn't make assumptions... o_O:)

Thanks Paradox. (Or is that another assumption? :LOL:)

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Lol, no problem guys.

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like PiP2 gets a decent rebate.

Maybe PiP2 has a chance for a decent sales market with Canada + new CA HOV green stickers (if so).
    Maybe Toyota adds Texas to the state list to pick up $2500 TX rebate (+say ~$4000 Fed rebate).

Now we're cooking with heat? Sounds like, at least in CA, Toyota and other autos lobbying for HOV stickers, so Toyota must know what the incentive pictures look like for their PiP2 decisions. Gotta hope for that CA green HOV I think then everything falls into place.

#10 wjtracy, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  11. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The PIP1 is a rare sight in Toronto. Up to the recent announcement, the PIP was eligible for the lowest government rebate ($5K), which left the car with about a $1500-$2000 delta between the regular Prius technology package and the PIP technology package.

With the new rebate, this will increase at least $2K based on what we know, which means it will be at least cost neutral, if not less for the PIP. If the rumors of a larger battery are true and this pushes it to a larger capacity, then we will really see the PIP2 flourish around here.

Like other areas, any car with a plug is eligible for HOV access (though no stickers required here - only a green plate ;-).

Exciting times, particularly since we just added a Leaf to our family, and will get to cash in on the unexpected bonus, and since we have the L2 charger, makes even more sense for a PIP now. )

Tideland Prius and wjtracy like this.
  12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not Canada, just Ontario (and maybe Quebec). Those are the two provinces with the largest rebates.

13. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Well, Ontario posted the new incentive tables for EVs, and I really do not understand the logic.

Did BMW and GM bribe the government or something? Why does the i3 (especially) and the Volt both have an abnormally high rebate compared to others, and why is the 30KWh Leaf completely MIA?

Eligible Electric Vehicles

At the press conference, having 5 seats apparently added another $1K rebate, yet the Leaf has one of the smallest change in rebates (from $8500 to $9600).

The old model was a simple scale directly related to battery size.

I don't understand.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. It seems to be based on MSRP (under $75,000). So the more expensive the car, the greater the incentive. That seems backwards. It doesn't seem to be related to battery size or EV efficiency at all.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Found this in the FAQ, Modernized EVIP - Frequently Asked Questions
    • increase the current incentive range for electric vehicles from $5,000 - $8,500 to $6,000 - $10,000
    • provide incentives linked to battery capacity ranging from 5 to 16 kilowatt-hours
    • provide an opportunity to receive an additional $3,000 incentive for vehicles with a battery larger than 16 kilowatt-hours
    • provide an additional $1,000 for vehicles with five or more seats
    • cap incentives for vehicles priced from $75,000 to $150,000 at $3,000
    • continue to provide up to $1,000 for the purchase and installation of chargers for private home and business use through the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Program (EVCIP)

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Exactly why I am confused. Since the Leaf previously qualified for the maximum benefit of $8500 as a 5-passenger car with 24KWh (on the larger side of anything outside of a Tesla) shouldn't it now receive the extra $3K + $1K, and basically be the highest on the list? They go out of their way to now cap the benefit for luxury cars (>$75K), so the idea is to get more of the affordable models on the road. Even the Kia Soul EV (with 27KWh) gets $10.5K, granted it seems they don't know about the new 30KWh with the Leaf (another head shaker)...

Ahhhhh.... Government. :confused:

I'll see if we indeed get the cheque for $1100, or if they figure it out and send more. :cool:

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Ahhh... That would make sense then, since $9600 is 30% of $32K, which is the price of the base model Leaf. It kinda sucks though if they don't take trim into account, since the two higher trims are $37K and $40K, which is a substantial difference. :confused: Particularly since those trims have the larger 30KWh battery, from the traditional 24KWh on the base model.

Good find, though. Thanks.

19. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Ok, further to my last post, I read through the link provided by Trollbait above, and it seems they do define the rebate including your trim and using the formula, not just the static table.

"The incentive value will be calculated based on the MSRP on the date of the purchase or lease. "

So, if I am interpreting it right, the MSRP on my Leaf SL is $40,548, and it will cap at the 30% limit, so it should be $12,164. So, we should be receiving nice a cheque from the government for the $3,664 difference from $8500. Nice.

As long as I am reading this right....

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...that would be a little like USA in those states which have nice EV incentives on top of $7500 Fed. Although rebate a lot better than tax credit.