1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New or used hybrid battery replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Justin.O, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Justin.O

Justin.O New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a 2006 Prius with 136k miles on the vehicle. My hybrid battery has gone bad and I now have two choices in replacing it. I can either get a used battery for $950 with 75k miles or a new battery for $2100 through a connection. Which of these is better?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's hard to answer your question, without knowing whether your priority is to reduce the initial cost of the repair, or to maximize the period of time that the replacement battery will last.

3. Justin.O

Justin.O New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, isn't the battery suppose to last the life of the car? If so, wouldn't the battery with 75k miles of wear be just as good as a brand new battery?

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some will and some won't last the life of the car. Obviously some are failing sooner. In my opinion batteries are one of those cases where the old adage of "second hand is second hand" truly does apply.

You always take some chance with a s/h item. You rarely know how it was previously treated or the exact reason why it's currently for sale. How much longer do you realistically plan to keep the car?

5. Justin.O

Justin.O New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my car so I'd probably keep it until it is no longer an option. I guess the new battery would be the best choice.

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The other option you may have is Re-Involt.com in North Carolina would give you a rebuilt used batt for about $2100 installed they claim is better than new with 18-month warranty. Also they are working on a Li batt replacement which might be cool, but they have not announced price/availability/advantages yet.

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah but OP has a "contact" and can get a brand new battery for $2100, which is a very good deal.

Personally I still think it's kind of line-ball on the secondhand battery. Given that the car is 2005 model I do agree with the OP that there is a pretty good chance of even the s/h 75k mile battery going the distance with this Prius.

The new battery is obviously a safer bet, but over twice the price. To be honest, if that new price was $3500 or something that some people have been quoted then I'd definitely be swayed to go with the s/h battery.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well OP said he had a good price on a new battery, but it was unclear if it would have a good warranty. The other idea is give a call to Re-Involt.com to see what they say about the Li battery. If it sounds good, go with the cheaper replacement with the idea to switch out to the Li batt if necessary.

9. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    To me a second hand battery from a later model 2nd Gen donor for a fraction of the price of a new or refurbished is a good bet. Only a small percentage are failing. I would expand the search area for a used one from a front end collision donor to try to find a less expensive one. I have seen some in $500-700 range. At those prices it would take three failed to get to the stated new/refurb cost.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is your idea regarding what "life of the car" means?

Notice that your original battery failed at 136K miles. The auto industry standard for vehicle "life" is typically 150K miles/10 years.

If you buy a used battery with 75K miles, don't be surprised if it fails after another 75K miles or so. Of course, prior to then you may have gotten rid of the car for other reasons.