1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

New Tire Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by SuperDave, Jan 14, 2014.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am in the market for new tires, 2 anyway. I have somehow managed to damage one of my front tires, I am always carefull and cannot remember doing anything to damage it. Reguardless I now have a slight shake and wobble in the steering wheel, having being a mechanic for 30 years I'm sure the problem is tire related.

I have searched and read through the threads, and at this point I am looking for convincing advice on tires that will actually provide better fuel mileage. I have the Goodyear Integy's on the car, there was a set on it when I bought it at 68k. They went to 121k and I bought the set I have now, which I'm at 152K. The current tires still have nearly half thread, but now I'm looking to replace at least the two fronts. The rear are still really good and I'm not looking to replace them just yet.

I am first and formost after fuel mileage, during the summer months I consistently average 57 -58 MPG and have gotten 64 MPG per tank a couple times. I would say I try harder than most without being super extreme.

Should I go with a pair of Goodyears again or is there something better in the same price range??

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if you bent a rim or lost a weight?

3. Blueeyedme

Blueeyedme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Bridgestone EP20s were OEM on my 2011 and I got 52k out of them. After looking at the other options, I went with the Bridgestones again.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have very closely checked both rims and tires, I cannot see or feel any damage. I really think it is a belt issue, as the car also now has a slight pull to the right. The steering wheel has the wobble even at very slow crawl speed, a balance problem would not even appear at this slow of speed, as none of the parts are even spinning at any speed yet.

On these forums its hard to explain everything, and as I said I have worked on cars for 30 years, I worked in a transmission shop for 16 years diagnoisng problems such as this. I'm sure I have narrowed the problem. I am now asking about which tires to buy, My first set of Integy's went 60K plus, which I was happy with and that I am most likely to simply buy another set. Mileage out of a tire is important to me, but just as important is MPG, I like bragging about my MPG.

5. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm amazed you were able to get so much life from the Integrities. The two sets we had in the family barely made it to 30k.

I'd be reluctant to run different tires on the front and the back. I've read of instances of the overly-sensitive traction control system picking up on slight rotational differences and activating, practically slowing the car to a crawl. The real-life size differences of different tires (and with different amounts of wear) in the same size could produce similar symptoms.

We replaced the Integrities on both cars with Hankook Optimo H727 and are very impressed. I've never found such a combination of ride quality, winter performance (orders of magnitude better than the Integrities), tread life and moderate cost in a tire. They're not available in the exact size, but both 195/60R15 and 195/65R15 have been used in Prii with success. I did see them on the Priuschat LRR tire list (which I can't seem to find again), and they do roll nicely. I find the Integrities to be over-priced and disappointing.

Have you tried a tire rotation? The tire in question may be much less objectionable on the back, and it may be a helpful troubleshooting step.

6. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this the thread you were looking for?
    Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | PriusChat

I agree, the Integrities are junk. On my 2008 I replaced the factory supplied Integrities with Bridgestone Ecopia 422's at around 40k miles. I really like them and they handle very good in the often wet Seattle area.

Now at 87K miles I'm ready to replace them. Costco usually has a $70 off deal on either Bridgestone or Michelin. Right now it's Michelin, so I'm considering a set of Defenders, but I'll probably wait till around March when the Bridgestone's are back on sale and get another set of Ecopias.

I paid just under $400 out the door for the Ecopias with the $70 discount in September of 2011. I hope to get close to that price again.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since the OP is in the snow country I would suggest these.

Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 = Great mpg! It is behind the Energy Saver A/S but higher than the Fuel Max. Good wet traction, great snow traction, poor handling tire but lacking in dry braking and cornering ability. Comfortable and low noise. Tread wear average.

Read more: Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | PriusChat

If he/she was further south I would suggest the Michelin Energy A/S, but they don't do well in the snow.

The Integrity is not the best tire on the road imo. I had a set of them also. Got rid of them fairly quickly. Two were damaged by the wife, and one was damaged by fallen tree limbs on a gravel road. All together bought four tires in two years time. Noted poor traction on wet roads when turning and braking also. No fun when you feel a Prius skidding when trying to make a turn.

I too do not recommend mixing brands (replacing only two tires). The traction control is real finicky. It will cause lots of problems if you mix tires. Sometimes even same brand and size will cause a problem if you only do two and the other two have a LOT of wear.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I want to follow up on my question and post, I hate when people start a post asking questions with problems and then never tell the results..

Shortly after my last post, I decided to do some additional troubleshooting. I increased the air pressure in the front tires to see if anything changed. I could tell that there was a difference, problem was still there just a little different. So then I very closely completely looked the tire over and felt the tire by hand and I found a raised spot, and just as I expected all along I had a Bad or broken belt. I then ordered a new pair of the Goodyears (which I like) for the front, now after installing them she's as smooth as a baby butt... :D

HaroldW likes this.
  9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just a follow up on this thread. I note you placed the new tires on the front.

If you look into this practice you will find debates on the subject. As of current times, when replacing only two tires instead of all four the best thing to do is to put the new tires on the rear.

Refer to this for more info.

Tire Tech Information - Where to Install New Pairs of Tires?&

Again there is a lot of debate on this subject. And yes, in the old days the new tires always went on the front but not anymore.

Best of luck to you. You did what I would have done in your case except the new tires would have went on the rear end.

10. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks. Myself being a mechanic for over 30 years, I never will understand why it is suggested to put the used worn tires on the front and the new tires on the back. The fronts always wear at a faster rate.

I have two reasons for doing this (first one already stated) and secondly we are in the middle of one of the snowiest season in years and I wanted more pulling power through the snow (which I can see big difference).

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just a layman, but I've got the same concern with putting new tires in rear: how is the wear of the new tires ever going to catch up?

Personally, I'd replace all four.

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thats my exact thinking also, now that I have new in the front and half worn in the rear, they should all be worn out at about the same time.

I am tight when it comes to tires, I will get every last mile from them. My tightness is why I have a Prius in the first place. I am actually a performance driven person, I own 3 race cars and 10 motorcycles.

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Even if you replace all four with current thinking you can never put the rears onto the front since the fronts always wear faster, and when you change them round your putting the best tyres on the front.

John (Britprius)