1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie. Buying 2004 Prius with 140k. What to look for?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chris Arnt, May 23, 2013.

1. Chris Arnt

Chris Arnt New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    From what I gather online these cars are pretty reliable.
    I would obviously check the coolant and the oil for mixing or being low.

What else?
    Do these need the timing belt changed? If so what does that cost?

Second owner. Sounds clean and not abused.
    I should be able to get it for about $5700. Has just had 130k service.

2. Indy John

Indy John Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The list of "what to look for" is pretty long, but the original owner should have all the paperwork. The list includes the recalls (e.g. steering shaft) and free fixes (e.g inverter coolant pump and software update) that took place in the early years. The engine coolant is past its service life if original (not DIY unless you do the research and are handy), the spark plugs should have been changed at 120k, the engine "water" pump is end-of-life if it hasn't been replaced already, as should the single serpentine belt. Then there's the EGR valve (cheap but difficult). If the struts/shocks are original, they're toast. If the brake pads/shoes are original, they'll need checking at least, and some brake cleaning/lubing is wise at both ends of the car. The brake fluid should be flushed/replaced if it hasn't been, and that too is not DIY unless you're very Prius-educated and very handy. If the transmission fluid hasn't been replaced in 60,000 miles, many of us here think that's a must. Timing belt? You're in luck! The Prius doesn't have one -it's a chain. Despite all of the above, if the original owner kept up with the dealer visits and basic maintenance, the '04 may have a lot of life and good service left. And, if the "Triangle of Death" ever heralds the demise of your "traction" battery, there are now refurbished units available for a fraction of new. Good luck!

JMD and Dino33ca like this.
  3. Chris Arnt

Chris Arnt New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks Indy. Would you believe it? I showed up and the guy was no where to be found and didn't answer his phone.
    I drove close to 40 miles to see the car and the guy just flaked.
    Anyway.
    Thanks for the info.
    I also spoke to a family friend who is a Toyota master mechanic.
    I thought I would post it for other people should they read this.

he gave me this short list. I am pretty car handy, but this was what he thought I needed to know other than basics.
    Check the rear shocks for leaking. They are a costly replacement. Just look under the car and if they are leaking they will have fluid coming out of them.
    Check the water pump for failure: There will be residue or crust on the underside of the hood by where the serpentine belt is.

4. Chris Arnt

Chris Arnt New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I'm a newb.
    I wanted to run this buy some experienced people.
    The last car I was interested in sat for a year and the owner had to replace the drive battery. I didn't buy that car.

This next car sat from Sept 12 to April 13. The owner replaced the small battery and started driving it. The owner is out of the area and has a friend driving it around town just to knock the dust off.

When I drove it the battery read out on the panel showed 75%. We only drove the car around the block a little.
    I started the car and after about a minute the engine started.
    The check engine light was on. (obviously I need to get the codes read.)

5. Rich12

Rich12 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Used. Prius. "Pretty reliable." Oh. My. God.

The struts are a nightmare to replace. The headlights are a nightmare to replace. The 12v battery is a nightmare to replace. The car has TWO coolant loops. And TWO coolant pumps. Which double the odds of failure.

Thinking of buying a used Prius II?

Do this: chant " hare krishna hare krishna krishna krishna hare hare hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare " and be happy.

And buy something else. Heck, a Ford Bronco II would be a better choice. An '89 Nissan Sentra would be a better choice.

The Critic likes this.
  6. Dino33ca

Dino33ca Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius is one of the lowest operating cost vehicles out there, especially if you can get a good deal on a used one that has been taken care of (low depreciation). It also has a very high customer satisfaction rating.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. If you are seriously interested in buying any used car, you need to do more than to drive around the block a little. How can you tell if the powertrain has any overheating or performance problems if you don't drive for an extended distance on the freeway, like 20-30 miles.

2. If the check engine light is the only light on, the problem might be as simple as the fuel cap not tightened. As you pointed out, you need the DTC read to get a clue about the underlying issue.

3. Since you characterize yourself as a newb, the best advice I can give you is to pay for an hour or two of labor time at your local Toyota dealer to have the car evaluated by the dealership's Prius tech.

4. Otherwise, do a search as there have been several posts regarding how to evaluate a used Prius. There is no timing belt as the engine uses a timing chain. I agree that the front struts and rear shocks will likely need to be changed. Replacement is not a big deal if you are used to Macpherson struts and have spring compressors available. I have posted about how to replace both front and rear.

5. The US 2G Prius has four coolant pumps, the inverter coolant pump was subject of a recall and it is easy to see if the pump is working - just look for fluid turbulence in the inverter coolant reservoir when READY. The engine coolant pump is easy to replace (however, not easy to get air out of the engine coolant loop) and it is obvious if the bearing is beginning to weep fluid. The coolant heat recovery pump only runs for a few seconds at startup and shutdown. It often makes excess noise but seldom actually fails. The heater core pump is not often reported to fail but if your cabin heater doesn't work very well that may be the reason (other reason would be air in the engine coolant loop.)

8. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was your Prius used or new when you bought it, Rich12?

Have you had a lot of trouble with your '07? If so, that's unfortunate. You're one of the few.

If not, you're misrepresenting one of the best used cars on the road. Every used car more than five years old with more than 100K miles is a gamble. I won that bet and would do it again if I could find another at the same price I bought mine. Maybe you're bashing the Prius in hopes of damaging its residual value so you could pick up another one cheap. Good luck with that. Used cars with over 100K miles are ridiculously overpriced right now.

If the OP can pick up an 04 for $5700, it's probably worth the risk.

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nah. He bought it second hand about a six months ago and got a lemon with quite a few things wrong with it. All his opinions are based on a sample size of unity.

When you read stuff like "The 12v battery is a nightmare to replace" and you know it takes one 10mm socket and about 15 minutes maximum, you know he's probably exaggerating a bit.

cwerdna likes this.
  10. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really should have read his prior posts. And now that I have, it's true -his ownership experience has been a nightmare.

11. roflwaffle

roflwaffle Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah... I was going to say something similar. Coming from a transverse V6 that *requires a half day for a tune up, everything I've done on my Prius, which isn't that much to be honest, has been straightforward and simple.

*The engine's really too tall for the bay, so on top of being up against the firewall, it, and the intake manifold I have to pull to access the rear bank, is tilted about 25 degrees toward the firewall.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 06 Prius (bought new in 06) has been generally pretty reliable.

The HIDs are a pain in the butt to replace if you can't get your hand in there and to do it. For me, the clip came off so I had the nightmare of popping off the front bumper cover to remove the assemblies. Luscious Garage can do either real quick:
    and

12 volt isn't that hard. Even I could do it.