1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jawbreak23, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Jawbreak23

Jawbreak23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a 2011 Prius that will not start after 3 months of ownership. I took the 12 v battery to a local auto shop to check the charge/put a load on it and we're told that it appeared to be fine. It should be noted that this battery was an after-market Optima battery. Which strikes me a little odd, that a 4 year old car already had a new battery with only 50k miles on it. After putting it back in the car, it still wouldn't start. I jumped the old battery and the car started right up. I then promptly took it to the dealership and bought a new Toyota battery. After replacing the battery, the car started right up - no issues. Until 4 days later (today) when my husband went to start the vehicle this evening and it WOULDN'T START. We tried jumping it, but it did nothing. The interior lights are on, the light turns green on the start button when pushing on the brake, but that is it. What is going on with this car? It had only been sitting for about 3 hours since it was last driven, before it wouldn't start again. Thanks for reading!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it sounds like something is draining your battery. or it's possible you have a brake lite switch that needs adjusting. try pushing hard on the brake and pressing the power button.

you jumped the old battery, do you mean the optima? or did you get the old battery along with the car?

do you think you could handle buying a digital voltmeter and reading the battery voltage?

#2 bisco, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Where abouts do you live? If it is warm out... depending on the ambient temp and what your climate control is set to and HV battery charge is like, you car may not start up right away. Hybrids are weird that way. :)

Oh, welcome aboard by the way.

4. Jawbreak23

Jawbreak23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for that suggestion! After a week at the dealership, they could not recreate the problem, so they just replaced the battery in the key fob. Everything seemed to be ok again for about two weeks...but the trouble has started up again last night. After parking the vehicle for about 15 minutes while I ran into the grocery store, it was up to the old tricks again by the time I came out. Interior light comes on, the green 'ready' light is on when I press on the brake, but when you hit the power button - it wouldn't start. It does make a noise when I press the brake though which I believe is the normal brake actuator noise. After trying several combinations of hitting the brake, then the power button, then locking the car with the key fob as I sat in the car and then trying to start the car, etc. (I have no idea if this actually helps, but I was desperate! Ha.) the car started. I was able to drive it home and put it in the garage. However, it wouldn't start again this morning - same issues. I will say that this is a particularly cold Ohio winter, but my old 2005 Prius never presented these sorts of problems. Any further ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Also - to answer your question - I have jumped both the Optima and the OEM battery at this point. I replaced the Optima with the OEM. Hope that makes sense. Its hard to type through frustration sometimes. :)

5. Jawbreak23

Jawbreak23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I live in Ohio, and winter is pretty brutal at the moment. My 2005 Prius never had any of these same issues that my 2011 is having...so I am sort of at a loss.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it sounds like a weak 12v being further weakened by the cold. throw a volt meter on it after the cars been off for a few hours, you want 12.5 volts or better.

reading your first post again, you may have something draining the battery while the car is off. it's going to take some testing. but if the battery tests okay, then we can explore other possibilities. you can't rely on someone else for battery testing, unfortunately, you have to do it yourself, or teach a local mechanic what you learn here.

7. rifis

rifis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Odd that the OP has not reported voltage. Especially as she (apparently
    )
    removed the Optima from the car, brought it to the local auto shop for testing, and then re-installed it herself , and then jumped it (when the car wouldn't start - all as described in the opening post). Obviously more than capable of:

8. Jawbreak23

Jawbreak23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I will get a volt meter and give it a try. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!

9. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Nothing further from the OP? Just reading over the thread I suspect that there really wasn't a problem. If you can make the Prius ready, then all should be well. The fact that the ICE doesn't "start" is not an indication, right away, of a problem. Was there an attempt to put the vehicle into drive and see if it moved? Spiderman has it right, in that hybrids are weird in that way.