1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Newbie with bad battery, Calling all Engineers!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by freshedie92, Nov 3, 2014.

1. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello all,

I want to apologize for doing this, I know most forums bash on people for not using the search button. I accept the fact that at least one person will show me how to use the search function. (ps. I have searched a lot)

Now that thats done, I bought a used prius right after graduating college, because new job is 30 min drive, and school can be 2hr drive. Exactly 3 months later my dash lit up, should have known better, I bought it from a so-called mechanic from hybrid 911. I have put new tires, 4 new shocks, all recommended maintenance (all done personally Bar-tires). I love this big red thing and I am not getting rid of it.

I drove 1 hour to his shop avg of 50.xx on the dash, on the return it was 48.XX, so mpg is still great. But SOC jumps all over the place, and I am afraid of getting stuck at work, or not being able to go to work. I used a scanner and got PA080. I dont hear the fan going wild back there, but at the same time I am driving so I could be wrong. The mechanic used a snap-on tool, and was not able to retrieve any codes, he took it for a short drive. He then told me that it needed a new battery.

Car is N/A mileage, but I estimate it at 200,000.

I have access to torque app and Bluetooth scanner

The cheapest price for a reman battery so far is Summit racing at 1331.73 free ship, dont know if core shipping is free though (anyone have experience with that?). I have lost all hope to people on C.L. claiming to swap your battery with a "good" one, But I am in San Bernardino Ca, if anyone will personally recommend a place I will consider it.

Recommendations?? I am willing to "Recondition the battery", test the modules individually, 2 brothers are electricians, and I am quite mechanically inclined- but not enough know how to tackle this alone.

Thank you VERY MUCH for any and all input-

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    why not contact the seller from hybrid 911? they should be battery rebuilders.

3. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I actually went there, they told me that the battery should be completely replaced. But I call to question their whole business, originally when he scanned it he said that he didnt see a problem, insisting that I cleared the code. Next he took it for a test drive, when he returned he said "it drives like a champ", but also saying the entire battery needs to be replaced. That guy is not getting a dime from me, they are willing to give me a "discount", but how can I trust that they will repair the battery. When i originally bought the car from him he promised that the car was in perfect condition, along with several other blatant lies. I have 0 respect for that shop.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  5. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Carolyn is highly recommended by engineers and prius owners nationwide[/QUOTE]
    Thank you very much for your input, I did hear good things about her. Unfortunately she quotes 1600 for used battery installed, along with being very far away. Doorman will be 1331, installed by me, 3 year warranty, and ReInvolt has proven itself as well.

Is there anyone that thinks maybe this isnt the battery?

Is it (relatively) safe to drive 25 miles one way to work?

Does anyone have links to a solid diy on refurbishing a battery? or am i better off with dorman/reinvolt

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are planning on keeping this car awhile, I'd recommend you consider purchasing a new OEM Battery. You can purchase these online (but you will have to pick up) for around $2000 and install it yourself. The removal and swap is a lot easier than reconditioning your existing battery and should be within your capabilities. The $2000 is after returning your old battery to Toyota to receive a $1350 core charge refund. By DIY you will save about $1500 of dealer labor. Purchasing a new battery will last a lot longer and be more reliable than a remanned job, or the "whack-a-mole" fix it up approach.

There is a thread going that lists what prices dealers are charging for new HV batteries, but I can't locate it at the moment, but I'm sure other members who can locate it can point you at it.

Good luck with your decision.

usnavystgc likes this.
  7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Based on limited data, it truly sounds that the traction battery is failing.

You yourself know it can be rebuilt. So you have already explored the options.

IMO, the best bet is new from Toyota. Second best, rebuilt from Dorman (Reinvolt), or Luscious Garage. Third best DIY.

Pick your poison. If you want to keep your car longer, you are going to have to address the traction battery soon. It will not keep going forever, and eventually will enter turtle mode.

Peace,
    Ron (dorunron)

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose you could test the 12 volt just for funsies, fast and easy.

dorunron likes this.
  9. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    OK since you're serious with DIY - here is a thread with videos, 27 pages of pack reconditioning posts and last posted to yesterday.
    Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat
    There are tons more of them that you will find as you go through the process of learning what is involved.

And for a charger, you have lots to choose from, but which one you want is another big question.
    Here is one link for a prius charger/discharger
    Hybrid Automotive - Grid Charger - Hybrid Battery Rebalancer

freshedie92 likes this.
  10. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It sounds like you are on a serious budget. If you want the cheapest way out, follow the first link above. If you want a quicker, intermediate cost solution, follow link 2 above. If you want the best most trouble free solution, buy an OEM battery from an online dealer and replace it yourself. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with link 2 above. :)

11. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am actually quite excited to try and repair the battery myself, I usually see these as unique learning experiences. That being said, I am broke, I can however afford the new battery using my credit card on no interest for 6 mo. What is the cheapest place to get the new toyota battery, the lowest I could get at my local stealership was 2300.

The reason it is recommended New or remmaned is because? Dorman does not use new cells? 3 year warranty is pretty enticing, I plan to keep the car for a few years, then give it to my fiance (she loves it too) and get a Gen 4!

To my suprise this morning all my dash lights disapeared, I am thinking more about gettting that grid charger. Is Hybrid Automotive - Grid Charger - Hybrid Battery Rebalancer usually the highest recommended? From what i can gather it may just fix my problem. If not then I just replace bad cells and use the rebalancer, and im good for xx months/years.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    San Bernardino Toyota online price is around $2070. Best price in CA

13. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Tried doing a few quick searches, any way you can provide me a link sir? Is it tax free? Taxes can kill that deal.

I would really like someone to chime in on the grid charger, my battery may not be to bad if the lights turned off (right?).

Once again thank you all for the great advice

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tax Free? Which part of California is Tax Free? You're lucky they aren't charging you an additional 10% for living in the state.

The cost will be $2070 plus tax....plus a refundable core deposit of $1350

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
  16. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was too optimistic, thinking I could buy it online like a dorman. The dorman would be tax free and core charges don't worry me- Standard with many parts.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota Dealers don't ship the battery, that's why you can't get it tax free. I live in CA and I normally order from Camelback in AZ and get it tax free.

Merkey likes this.
  18. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Typically the better the charger/discharger, the more expensive it is and it usually also takes longer to learn how to use correctly.
    Hybrid Automotives product is middle of the road both in discharge capability and price, but improving all the time.
    See the GC01 adapter on their page? I have a GC01, but it was twice as expensive, used as a new HA charger/discharger.
    I also got a used pack, just as the used pack prices were starting to get overly expensive.

If your dash lights went out, you may be able to recondition your pack without having to replace any pack modules.
    But you can't tell for sure until after you run a set of charge/discharge cycles on the pack and test the pack under a substantial load.
    But, a lot of packs have been saved by cycling them and running maintenance charge/discharge cycles as needed.

Don't forget, a lot depends on your specific car and the codes that have been set, it's not always only the pack being weak.
    Double checking the 12v battery health is also a high priority, sometimes a new 12v battery is all it takes to fix what is wrong with the car.
    So unless you're absolutely positive you have a good 12v battery, charging the 12v or getting a new 12v is a good first step.

19. freshedie92

freshedie92 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you very much.
    It's decided, I'm fixing the battery. In your opinion the grc01 grid charger is recommended. So I can just buy it lol.

If anyone has packs that they would like to sell I may be in the market.

I thought the 12v battery exhibits very different symptoms. I'll check it using the mfd diagnostic, and check back with results.

20. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    usnavystgc likes this.